17 coaches online • Server time: 03:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hourly box activations?
Permantly change box to hourly activations
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Permantly change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to hourly activations
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
Change nothing
64%
 64%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 102

bghandras

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
bghandras wrote:
I think the problem with monoactication is that it denies the chance for the bot to increase suitability. In that sense it does not matter what you activate. If you want to make things fair then please activate as many teams you can. Then let the bot sort out. This is the best practice to allow bbox to operate as intended.

Activating teams for n00bz would also help.

Yeah, agreed. If everybody would activate 1 rookie team, then ALL draws with 4 or more coaches would schedule 2 minimum games.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Since multiple teams activation won't happen, at the moment the best strategy might be to never activate when monoactivating coaches are online during low traffic time, scorched earth policy (unless you want to play a mismatch or you have a high TV enough team).
bghandras

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I think activating rookie only is still superior to that, and a better version of scorched earth strategy. (Not suggesting there is no better strategy out there.)

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't find interesting playing over and over rookie teams, at that point I could play non progression NAF-style tourneys then.
I like the team development aspect, but I don't like lack of variety and TV gaps when playing matchmaking.
There are scheduled leagues and majors for playing with huge TV gaps.
I wonder if introducing the BB2016 seasons could do something against the minmaxing.
PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Way back on page #1 the OP proposed moving to a top of the hour activation schedule instead of a every 1/4 hour.

Coaches talking about that idea fall basically into two camps.

#1 Keep the 1/4 hour activation but make coaches activate more than one team. The idea is that if 4 coaches all activate multiple teams the chances for a 4 coach draw increase and in theory create some diversity in the draws in terms of teams.

#2 Move the draw to the top of the hour on every hour in the hopes that you can collect 6+ coaches on every draw. Instead of having a low population of coaches activating multiple teams you have a larger population of coaches activating and thus increasing the odds of successful draw of 6+ coaches.

Also if you increase the total # of coaches activating at one time you reduce the effect of a few coaches mono activating teams.

I prefer exploring option #2 because: It has been proven now that 1/4 hour activations do not work and promote 4 coach draws. We have been down this road a long time now.

switch it up and try something different and see if the result is the same. My gut says it should enhance the box experience for every one.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
I don't find interesting playing over and over rookie teams, at that point I could play non progression NAF-style tourneys then.

Totally rationale from ones own selfish point of view. And you seem to be fully aware of the consequences how that decision affects the environment. I think saying that you lost me for your argument is a huge understatement.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that sticking to teams and developing them is better for the Black Box environment (assuming you don't monoactivate high TV team) than cycling over and over again top tier 1 teams benefitting from the young team protection and without the drawback of Fan Factor bloat (lower Fan Factor = higher efficiency when playing vs teams with higher Fan Factor).
For low TV play there are already NAF tournaments on FUMBBL.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2017 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

So far, 68 coaches want things as they are, 22 want trial for 30 min matches, and 8 coaches want the other stuff.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2017 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
PainState wrote:

So far, 68 coaches want things as they are, 22 want trial for 30 min matches, and 8 coaches want the other stuff.

Well, it is 48 and not 68 but who really cares in the end.

Hey, I like Box but do not care if it dies either. Just take another swig of whiskey and move on I quess.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2017 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

Goblins made you look!

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2017 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
thoralf wrote:
PainState wrote:

Well, how many of those 48 either:

a) don't play in the Box? and/or
b) don't play in the NA timezone, which is where the problems are?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
thoralf

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2017 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're to Simpson Paradox your way out of this pickle, Jelly, at least be consistent and apply the same skepticism to the 22 ones who'd prefer we test 30 mins at low peaks, and also the 8 ones who voted like PS and sm, assuming PS voted like his preference indicates.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2017 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
don't play in the NA timezone, which is where the problems are?

If we are trying to solve the Box issue in the NA timezone at peak times. Then I say move the scheduler to the top of the hour/every hour and see if it makes a difference.

The draw every quarter hour is failing big time. Can we agree on that statement at least when it comes to North America peak time draws?

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2017 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:
don't play in the NA timezone, which is where the problems are?

The draw every quarter hour is failing big time. Can we agree on that statement at least when it comes to North America peak time draws?

Nope. I think the problem is simply not enough people activating, full stop. The frequency of the draws has nothing to do with it. You and smallman are assuming that the 2-3 coaches who are activating every 15 minutes are different coaches each time, and even if they weren't, that they would all be organized enough to activate on time on the hour.

If we want to fix the problem, we need to clean up the environment.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
ramchop

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2017 - 00:47
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

There is absolutely no mandate to change things from 15min. I often miss a draw by a couple of minutes, often due to silly things like buying players and changing player portraits. I can quite happily wait until the next one in <15 min but would not if it switched to an hour. (ha! just re-read the opening post, "awful logic")

I think trial hourly draws for the primetime NA timezone only. This may affect my weekend afternoons but I usually aim for Eurozone (my weekend mornings).

If I was odd man out on enough hourly draws that could drive me away from Box.
 Jump to: