47 coaches online • Server time: 16:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JakeSteel

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 03:53 Reply with quote Back to top

What can I win?
1st prize: Physical Winner’s Trophy and £100 equivalent in any non-cash form of the winner's choosing (ie amazon/tritex voucher, steam gift, etc).

When?
Start: Now (Late entries welcome at any point – you just have less time available to fit in the games)
Finish: End of Sept 2018

How do I compete?
Select a squad of 5 unique teams from a budget of 9 pts (team costs below).
Create and name these 5 teams as necessary. Ensure all teams have 0 games played prior to entry.
Post the list of 5 team names and races in this thread. (Including *NewEntry* on an empty line is helpful).
Play games in the box, win games, boast heavily in thread.

Team Cost:
0: Ogre, Goblin, Fling
1: Vamp, UW,
2: Human, Khemri, High Elf, Elven Union, Slann
3: Rest (max: 2)

Scoring: (Only the first 40 games with each team count)
W = 1 pt
D = 0.5 pt
L = 0 pt

2.5 pts per leftover pt of budget (awarded on entry).
2.5 pts for each race's top coach (best record - awarded end of competition)

Rules:
1) All entrants are obviously expected to abide by all Fumbbl and Blackbox rules.
2) Refusing to play a match once drawn in the scheduler may result in penalties or disqualification. A concession will usually lead to disqualification.
3) By entering you agree to have your running score published in weekly updates/leaderboard.
4) One entry per coach and once entered you cannot change/restart your squad.
5) Trashtalking fellow competitor’s decisions and results is highly encouraged - providing it stays within normal forum parameters.
6) Tiebreaker: Where scores are tied (for best racial record or overall victor) the winner is whoever achieved the score first.

Additional notes:
You don't have to finish all 200 games to be eligible for victory - falling short just gives you less opportunities to acquire points.
I will be competing myself.

Leaderboard: (next update 29th Oct)
1: asteflix 0
2: JakeSteel 0

Entrants:

asteflix:
Flings - Midsummer Love Dreams
Helves - Hamlet Helmets
Pelves - Julio and Juliette
Humans - Jules Caesar
Chorfs - Some Ladies Some Boys

JakeSteel:
Ogres - Binky's Ballers
Vampire - Not Hungry; I'll Pass
Khemri - I Win Again
Necromantic - Praying for Superwolf
Lizard - DrPoods Folly

Last edited by JakeSteel on Oct 25, 2017 - 02:41; edited 4 times in total
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, you're really going to give us money to play in Box? Could be the start of a pro BB scene Wink

It's a cool idea. I'll have to give it some thought, as I don't know if I really want to make/play with 5 new teams all at once and neglect all my other teams at the moment. Perhaps I'll give it a go in the New Year.

Good luck with it though Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have to activate all 5 teams each time? If not why not? Wink
If so how do we prove it? Is there an API for this Christer?

Do the teams really need to be brand new?

Why only one entry per coach. Some coaches are pretty prolific.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Run it past C?

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Do you have to activate all 5 teams each time?

No. Spin em all, spin them with other teams, do all 40 with a single race before moving on to next. Your choice.

koadah wrote:

If not why not? Wink
If so how do we prove it?

Question asked; question answered Wink

In part at least - I also don't see any reason to restrict playing habits. People can play whenever/whatever they want. If they want to play a non-squad team they can.

koadah wrote:

Do the teams really need to be brand new?

No - create as necessary. If you already have one created with 0 games played that's fine. The requirement is having the 5 teams all with 0 games played when you make your entry post.

koadah wrote:

Why only one entry per coach. Some coaches are pretty prolific.

They also get a natural advantage by being able to choose to play Trophy games when they're feeling in top form, rested and sober. 200 games strikes a nice balance between being long enough to allow skill advantages to shine through, while not requiring a sample so large that it excludes a significant portion of potential competitors.

JellyBelly wrote:

Wow, you're really going to give us money to play in Box?

The EV for the winner (based on 45m average game time) is 67p/hour. Anyone excited by that hourly should message me and I'll find things for you do as an independent contractor.

It's equivalent to a local tournament prize in a niche sport like say lawn bowling. It validates the competition and ups the bragging rights. If handled correctly one can extract additional value from the prize. For example -
taking it in Miller and Carter vouchers and taking the wife out for a chateaubriand paid for with Blood Bowl winnings could be priceless in terms of goodwill for future weekend tournaments Wink

In addition I have no plans to pay anyone, as I fully intend to win this myself. If I fail and someone beats me then the cost is worth the joy of competition. Don't really see it happening though...
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO a year is too long for the season. People will lose interest/forget about it.
I'd say that it shouldn't be more than 3-4 months. Which I suppose would mean different scoring.

People should be satisfied with the esteem of their peers and the knowledge that they are helping to improve the Black Box. Mr. Green
Nice trophy images for the team pages would be nice.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
IMO a year is too long for the season. People will lose interest/forget about it.

The most common comment I've had so far is "200 games in a year! That's so many!"

As for more prolific players they can enter, wipe out and forget about it sure. But it kinda precludes them from claiming elsewhere anything along the lines of "I'm the greatest box player ever!" for fear of their mediocre leaderboard position simply being quoted in reply. Conversely, if you're leading the Trophy every subsequent post you make thunders with the authority of Olympus.

koadah wrote:

Nice trophy images for the team pages would be nice.

Anyone who wants to volunteer time to provide this is welcome. Nothing to do with me tho. I'll simply be providing £100 almost-cash/gift equivalent for the winner and a physical trophy (black glass and crystal - box-motif)

If you're the type of person who keeps every 4th place/most casualties plaque proudly then this matters less to you. However if, like me, you junk every trophy that falls short of awesome then I'm confident you're going to be proud to display this.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

A physical trophy is an awesome idea. The NBFL should do that. You should keep the rest of your money.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm very tempted by this. Gives me an incentive to actually play out a team properly. Just need to decide on my 5.

Also, I'd argue that a couple of your 3 pointers should be in the 2 bracket. Some, like Lizards, don't enjoy the box after a certain amount of games/TV level.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

DrPoods wrote:
I'm very tempted by this. Gives me an incentive to actually play out a team properly. Just need to decide on my 5.

Also, I'd argue that a couple of your 3 pointers should be in the 2 bracket. Some, like Lizards, don't enjoy the box after a certain amount of games/TV level.

Dude! Jake Steel is the one putting his own cash on the line for no other reason than he wants to do it. My point of view is that I will be happy to play by his rules. I think I will give this a shot. (If I happen to win, for the record I want the winnings to be donated to Fumbbl.) I will be happy with bragging rights.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

monkey balls. i think this needs to be official, and a mandated all 5 activation. otherwise people will mono-activate a killer team only

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

You can play 40 games with rookies, make them killer team
But any further games u play won't count
Then you need to move on to the next race. You don't have 5 teams that can be built into killers within 40 games for the 9 point budget

The point is to literally reward diversity when people play bad races with new teams
Mono activation is still possible but counter productive because you would need to play all teams eventually anyway, and mono activation just means it takes typically longer to play the games
thoralf

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
You don't have 5 teams that can be built into killers within 40 games for the 9 point budget

Tiny menz hold their beers.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

DrPoods wrote:

Lizards currently have the best win%

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2017 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a fun idea. Though Jake has only played 13 matches on this site. Quite a big commitment considerin..