50 coaches online • Server time: 20:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
DrPoods wrote:
I'm very tempted by this. Gives me an incentive to actually play out a team properly. Just need to decide on my 5.

Also, I'd argue that a couple of your 3 pointers should be in the 2 bracket. Some, like Lizards, don't enjoy the box after a certain amount of games/TV level.

Dude! Jake Steel is the one putting his own cash on the line for no other reason than he wants to do it. My point of view is that I will be happy to play by his rules. I think I will give this a shot. (If I happen to win, for the record I want the winnings to be donated to Fumbbl.) I will be happy with bragging rights.

No criticism of the man at all. I'm not demanding any changes. It was just a suggestion.

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know, I think all these people worried about a prize that may or may not be forthcoming are a bit soft in the general manliness area.

I quite like the attitude of this JakeSteel, it's certainly a nice change from those newcomers to the site who play a few games and then whine about the RNG or something.

@JakeSteel - Welcome to FUMBBL, and keep up the braggadocio!

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The bracketing is definitely a little shaky, DrPoods, that's a perfectly reasonable point (even tho I think I disagree with your specific example.) It shouldn't matter tho. Think how many times you've analysed a tournament ruleset, taken the perfect roster to take down the title... only to have it fizzle into a mediocre record due to bad draws or an unexpected meta (irrational roster landmines are a staple of live events). When arguing on a theoretical level everyone gets very heated about choices that only have a marginal-at-best effect on long-term win rate. In practice everything is much closer than people give credit for - which is natural as else they'd have to explain losses in terms of their own poor decision-making instead of external factors Wink

If everyone picks roughly the same squad make-up I've definitely screwed up. I'll bow my head in shame if that happens. I'd expect significant diversity tho. Hopefully a reasonable number of entrants will freshen the box with more lesser played teams and encourage an uptick in non-entrant play also. Everytime our screens refresh to an 'Activation will be possible in approximately 10 minutes' message, instead of a game being scheduled, Nuffle kills a kitten.

As a quick tip to potential entrants from a lifelong devotee of competition in its myriad forms: you're going to do better with 5 races you enjoy than 5 you don't but have decided are the 'best'. Of course, the dream is to enjoy the squad you also rate the highest...

I'll enter once someone else does (so I know I have some competition before going through the trouble of team creation).

Enter at will. And do your part to save a kitten.

Last edited by JakeSteel on Oct 25, 2017 - 01:37; edited 1 time in total
asteflix

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I hereby pledge to both participate and take a sidebet : The man that has achieved the highest tv with halflings shall get 10$ from me.

My teams shall be :

-Flings with the name *Midsummer Love Dreams* (0)
-Helves with the name *Hamlet Helmets* (2)
-Pelves with the name *Julio and Juliette* (4)
-Humans with the name *Jules Caesar* (6)
-Chorfs with the name *Twitch Emotes* (9)

Last edited by asteflix on Oct 25, 2017 - 06:49; edited 1 time in total
JakeSteel

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

My squad:

Ogres - Binky's Ballers
Vampire - Not Hungry; I'll Pass
Khemri - I Win Again
Necromantic - Praying for Superwolf
Lizard - DrPoods Folly

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 03:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea very much, but 200 games is so far above what's realistic for me. Box time is Sat/Sun mornings. 6 sprints = 96 games, and that's often a struggle. 200? impossible.

Remember quite a few of the dedicated coaches have League commitments which won't be compromised to make room for this.

Good luck, it's a cool idea.
JakeSteel

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah meet ramchop
ramchop meet koadah

I'll be over here on the reasonable middleground

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 03:23
FUMBBL Staff

I somehow doubt koadah was suggesting 200 games in his shorter timeframe. But maybe I'm just a snail. Very Happy
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 04:27
FUMBBL Staff

Haha, and as he said you don't HAVE to play all 200, it just helps. I am up for this and will be making my new teams once I get back. Gotta work on that new CR anyways!
Relezite

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

*New Entry*

[JBT] Best Chance Brigade Elven Union
[JBT] Mankindergarten Human
[JBT] Underestimated Necromantic Horror
[JBT] Undertail Underworld Denizens
[JBT] Vambrosia Vampire
tussock

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

40 games with Ogres?
40 games with Flings?
40 games with Gobs?
40 games with Vamps?

In Blackbox? Are you mad? Who would ever do anything like that? Mind you, I'm close on Frogs, Humans, Underworld, Nurgs, and Chorfs, so I guess the right sort of team selection could work.

Sadly, one of each is the limit for me, and there's no way I can fit five teams with all the cheap ones already in action. Helps for grid filling, you know. But more people in box at odd hours could be good, so everyone join in, woohoo.

I recommend starting with an Apo, big death early and it's rather tricky to get games outside the brawls, or even inside them.

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 07:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in with Undead, Nurgle, High Elves, Vampires and Ogres. All conveniently named "Box Trophy *race*"
morehouse

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh hey, how about one suggestion in the spirit of this being about making box fun. Making wins worth more than 1 point? Like a 3 for a win 1 for a draw thing or something? Those 1-1 ties in box are soooooo boring. Would be cool if people had incentive to go for the victory.
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of league do standings the way morehouse is suggesting so it makes sense.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2017 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. Here are my teams.

Kondor's Steel Beards - Dwarfs - 3 pts
Kondor's Steel Gators - Lizards - 3 pts
Kondor's Steel Union - Pro Elves - 2 pts
Kondor's Steel Mutants - Underworld - 1 pts
Kondor's Steel Gremlins - Goblins - 0 pts

Total 9 pts

Last edited by Kondor on Oct 25, 2017 - 08:59; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: