30 coaches online • Server time: 12:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Gobbo - +ST or Block skill
Block
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
+ST
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Other
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 22

Prez

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a box Gobbo team and the Loony has just acquired his first skill up.

It was Double 6, so usual the +ST is auto. But it's a lot of bloat for a Gobbo team, there are some merits for having a st3 gob, mainly opponent will need to find an assist to block.

The other option is obviously Block skill

Opinions appreciated

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Block.

If your Loony is getting blocked at all, he's in trouble. Blodge will help him in that scenario far more than +ST will.
cdassak

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont believe in skilling the looney in general. The only thing you need from him is the saw working every turn he's playing and no skill has any synergy with that (except pro maybe).
I would take dirty player, could be handy against high AV teams.
Block only has defensive value for him but you need to get to 16spps to blodge him up.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

"Not skilling" is also viable, I think. The primary power that the Looney has is the lack of Loner, which is huge. Dirty Player is also a good option.

Personally, I really like the idea of a blodging chainsaw, so I'd take Block, but DP or "none" is a reasonable answer.
SkavenLordVinshqueek

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on the use, I think.

With TV trimming, not skilling up is indeed a reasonable answer. If you use it as your main fouler, Dirty Player is the obvious option. If you use it to blitz players, Block (for an eventual blodger) is the obvious option.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty Player to maximize the damage potential.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I see the arguments for no skill and DP, but I think I’d take Block. I think with Goblins there are times where you need to take a risk with the Loony and you have to stick him in on the blitz. Oh crap, I’ve not broken armour, that Loony is dead and the x-factor is lost. I think Block might save you often enough that it’s worth 30 k.
fxiii

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

is "not skilling" possible ?

i don't think so, how do you get your team "ready to play" if you didn't choose your skill ?

DP looks tasty Smile
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

You'd skill up, then fire the goblin and pay for a new one. Loonys are 40K, so most of the time that won't be a problem.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I’d be torn between Block and DP. But could it be that anyone who blitzes him will probably be equipped to make it count (blodge or not)? It might be time to take DP, bring someone down and get revving!

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I see the arguments for no skill and DP, but I think I’d take Block. I think with Goblins there are times where you need to take a risk with the Loony and you have to stick him in on the blitz. Oh crap, I’ve not broken armour, that Loony is dead and the x-factor is lost. I think Block might save you often enough that it’s worth 30 k.

If you take Dirty Player you can safely foul with the Looney hidden amongst team mates, no need to blitz (blodgers are an exception to this, of course).
Block only doesn't protect so much honestly, especially Block on ST 2 player, who can quite easily be 3d-blocked.
If the Looney had Dodge out of the box then Block would be more appealing because he would be a Blodger at 6 SPPs and at a cheaper price, but since you need 16 SPPs and 90 TV on a player that is going to play for 1 drive most of times I think Dirty Player is better.
Since he's going to be ejected the logical consequence is using him mainly for fouling, and since Dirty Player has synergy with the Chainsaw, he doesn't even need many assists.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I see the logic, I do. I just find myself ‘needing to blitz’ more often than you infer. At low TV (where the vast majority of games will be), I think Block would make a difference here. You’re not just going to steam him in there and let him get 3D’d, are you?

Either way, not +ST. As weird as that is to write! 😉
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer to blitz with a normal Goblin (with Block if possible) and sometimes with a Troll if the situation requires it because rolling a 1 on the kickback test forces me to use a rr (the chainsaw blitz generally happens early in a turn) that I could have to use for another important action later (like rerolling a dodge, a gfi or a block).
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I’ve no doubt that, in an ideal world, everyone reading these words would rather be blitzing with a Block Goblin than a Chainsaw, and we understand kickbacks are bad. However, as I said above, with Goblins I feel you have to sometimes accept the risk in search of a better reward and go for the big ‘saw hit to wrestle or increase tempo, or simply get rid of that guy right now. If you play Goblins ‘classically’ for 16 turns in spite of on-field position, you aren’t going to be maximising results. At some level, you’ve got to embrace the chaos!

Anyway. Enough slightly tangential chat from me. Fun one, enjoy him, Prez! 😀
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2017 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

If I blitz with the Looney and I use the Chainsaw then Block offensively will not be used, defensively it doesn't protect so much without Dodge, and, assuming he manages to get Blodge, probably the opponent team will have some Tacklers, especially now that Piling On has been removed. Also, when you use the Chainsaw you can't move after hitting with it, this makes protecting the Looney harder than a normal blitzing player, and Goblins have already enough trouble protecting the ball carrier.
The best protection is not getting hit at all, and with fouls he can avoid blocks and have a good chance of removing key players without sacrificing too many assisting team mates.
Fouls tend to happen in the end of a turn, therefore, since the most important moves have already been made, you can decide whether to risk the kickback roll or not.
At this stage, even if you fail it, it doesn't mess the whole turn.
 Jump to: