52 coaches online • Server time: 19:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure many of you have seen it happen. Someone blocks your player and rerolls pushes. Obviously in the hope they will get a player out early and eventually be able to dominate with on pitch player number advantage. However not only do they risk rerolling to skulls but they use a reroll for the half, and if it is not their last action of the turn they risk messing up their turn in a later failed action. It may work out for them but generally it is a bad move.

I played a chap who rerolled 2DB pushes a few times in the first half and I mentioned I wouldn't recommend he use rerolls for that. He didn't answer to that and probably didn't appreciate the suggestion. I mentioned it again early 2nd half as I suggested he will need the rerolls later. He then almost immediately rerolled a 2DB pushes blitz and got pows. But didn't hurt the player or get much value from the takedown. A couple of actions later he skulls a block and suffered a turnover with some players still unused. Made me laugh a bit and helped me get my win. I hope he learnt from it but I doubt it.

It happens in both Ranked and Box. I believe it happens more with coaches who have played on Cyanide previously.

It's a weird thing as rookie coaches would normally think of rerolls as to be used for turn end actions. Rookies may do too risky actions but at least they use the rr just when a turnover occurs. So this pushes rerolling is something that people are learning from others to do. I think it stems from clawpomb days when rerolling to a pow would then give you that great cas chance with PO. But nowadays it only makes sense of specific conditions such as if needing a crucial breakthrough of a line or hitting a ballcarrier, or maybe you have a rare chance at a low armoured, important opponent. Of course if you are on tilt and are trying to release your fury or looking for a miracle then as you were Very Happy

It would be good to see this habit reduced as it just seems poor play. Does anyone else suggest to their opponents when they keep making obvious (to you) mistakes or just keep quiet?

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

This is certainly one of the things we try to teach over at the 145. I agree it probably stems from Cyanide, and more generally from the "Cas to win" approach. I usually see it in combination with poor positioning so I suppose it makes up for it a touch.

Suggestions are a touchy thing sometimes - I'll try to gauge their openness to it by asking general questions first. Most of the times it goes over well, but I've had some coaches take offense for sure.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't blame cyanide for this at all - I'd blame CRP where people ran 11 man rosters in perpetuum and so getting ahead in cas was not just a valid tactic, but became the de facto tactic for many rosters.

I'd also say there are certain situations where rerolling pushes (or both downs) is not automatically bad, but this is something you have to learn with experience.

I do tend to say to coaches "I wouldn't have done that", but really, it depends who I'm playing - if it's someone with a lean roster and low rerolls, then they either probably know what they're doing and don't want the advice, or don't really care and kind of need the cas to stay in games.

At the end of the day, anyone else's reason for activating/playing/accepting a game are no less valid than one's own.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Qualify the other coach - take a peek at how many games they've played, ask if theyre in the mood for a more educational experience than a drag down fight, so on and so forth.

Sometimes rerolling pushes is a great thing, but like AD said - you gotta have the experience.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
I wouldn't blame cyanide for this at all - I'd blame CRP where people ran 11 man rosters in perpetuum and so getting ahead in cas was not just a valid tactic, but became the de facto tactic for many rosters.

Cyanide are still running CRP with full CPOMB and they seem to like it.

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I reroll pushes because I can.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 21:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It's something I 100% never do. It's always a mistake.

Except the times I do it, when it is essential and good tactics.

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

lawofthewest wrote:

I imagine most regular push rerollers just want to do this to have a bit more chance to see an opponent cas'd at that moment. Hoping for a quick fix.
If you are doing this every match I suggest do it less, and you will probably find the change will contribute to a slight improvement in your win rate. If it is last action of a turn, late in a half and you have rerolls to burn then go ahead but you still may regret it if you come up with double skulls.

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
lawofthewest wrote:

I imagine most regular push rerollers just want to do this to have a bit more chance to see an opponent cas'd at that moment. Hoping for a quick fix.
If you are doing this every match I suggest do it less, and you will probably find the change will contribute to a slight improvement in your win rate. If it is last action of a turn, late in a half and you have rerolls to burn then go ahead but you still may regret it if you come up with double skulls.

From now on, I will reroll pushes more often.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

If and when I do it (and only on reliable teams with decent basic skills), its not so much about getting cas as about needing the knockdown to make the rest of my turn work well. Last game I played I did it to take down my opponents star player so I could gang foul I'm off the pitch in the following turn.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a random block though.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I know in my head not to do it, but I when the game gets frustrating, I often RR pushes just to try and get a different result. Often, I'm out of position anyway as well. Got to work on both positioning and not getting to where I feel like I have to get a knockdown with every block...

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

i do it all the time, but then again, i'm a terrible coach

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro all hitters, never waste team RRs again.