17 coaches online • Server time: 04:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 22:39
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Jim_Fear wrote:

Here is a redo of the ponytail, with angular face and the profile view looking a little more feminine.

I never noticed it until you mentioned it, but the with the square faces, the Amazons really look like dudes.

Much better. The face shape really works. It does mean the whole amazon team set needs the treatment.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll focus on redoing the Amazon team if harvestmouse agrees to work on Khemri. His evil skeleton faces are nice.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Jim_Fear wrote:
I'll focus on redoing the Amazon team if harvestmouse agrees to work on Khemri. His evil skeleton faces are nice.

I'd hate to see your creamy bones and light blue color scheme go. It looks very fresh. Mouse's red eyed skelly heads looks great too.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2018 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Btw I'm working on finishing the human team, which I only got started on the last time around.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

All the icons are great, I'm not sure only about the red eyes.
The eyesocket is very small and the red dot is not very visible (unless I get really close to the screen, way closer than the normal distance), yet it interferes a bit with the black colour and shape of the eyesocket, making it less dark and deep.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the work, just it seems to me that, given the very small dimensions of the icons, it might be better not to clutter the eyesocket with the red eye glint.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

I'd hate to see your creamy bones go.

We can always use that bone color for the Home kit instead. I've worked with Mr. Mouse before, or at least have had email messages back and forth about pixels and icons. I'm sure we can work together to make something outstanding for Khemri.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 06:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Addressing some of the concerns about Amazon linewomen.

Here’s what we have for consideration:

1.) The current linewomen icon, better known as the square-jawed diva
2.) Face reconstructed to have a narrower jaw, skin tone recolored for more of a “South American jungle” look. Still wearing the standard kit.
3.) Realizing that I really don’t like that kit, I did away with the shoulder pads and removed the “glove.” Looks truer to the third or fourth edition minis. I also did away with the skull in favor of different hair styles to break up the monotony. Arm width slightly reduced to keep with the feminine appearance.
4.) Balle didn’t care for the look of the different hairstyles (which he was probably right about), stating that they no longer looked like Amazons, and requested more skulls and feathers. So, I have now added high contrast feathers, resembling the feathers of some tropical birds who make their homes in the jungle, which are being held on by golden armbands.

Things of note:
I understand this is a drastic redo of the current icons.
I’m not set on using the standard Red/Blue for home and away, and may experiment with alternative colors
Wanted to get feedback on the skin tone and feathers first

Discuss.

Last edited by Jim_Fear on Apr 22, 2018 - 19:19; edited 2 times in total
cdwat

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Here's an idea of the colour scheme I wanted for khemri away. I've also played around with the eye shape a bit.

These look great, but are the bones maybe too dark?

Bio template here.
misterlonestar

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

For your Amazons here is a different take on a female icon.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2018 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

cdwat wrote:

Here's the Mouse's icon, lighten slightly:
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2018 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
That's astounding! It's like a next generation of icon. Most icons have about 3 colours in a zone. e.g. the skull. Yours has 7-10. Raising the bar.

Thank you, that's very kind. I feel we could move the icons on a stage past the NK icons. The technique I use for this is to do an outline and then paint the skull the darkest colour. I then use the lightest highlight and paint the 2 lightest pixels (in this case the centre). I then smudge the 2 light pixels out and repeat. Usually you have to repeat 6-8 times. then tidy it up and change the odd pixel you aren't happy with. As the skull is isometric I used the side I liked more and replaced the other.

Smudge, brush and airbrush are all tools that can add more detail to your icons. Take a good look at Mr Furious icons. Whatball is probably better, but Mr F's are my favourite. The detail in his is outstanding.

Something I came across recently were icons with layers of transparency in the black shadow around the feet. It would be a lot of work to do that for all the icons, but it would move them on a bit.

ramchop wrote:

I've cut and pasted onto a pitch and the darker outline helps too.

Yes. We don't use cartoonish black outlines like Pat did. However the outline should be very dark, much darker than you think you should go. I think a lot of mine in the past haven't had a dark enough outline.

Jim_Fear wrote:

Sorry, I cannot do that. I am moving country this week and I do not plan to take my computer which I do my design work on. I also have a backlog of personal projects when I get back.

I am happy to character design (I think that's my main strength) and give advice. However I cannot take on an icon project. This icon was just a demo of what I planned to do with the khemri away kit a few years ago, but didn't have the time.

MattDakka wrote:
All the icons are great, I'm not sure only about the red eyes.
The eyesocket is very small and the red dot is not very visible (unless I get really close to the screen, way closer than the normal distance), yet it interferes a bit with the black colour and shape of the eyesocket, making it less dark and deep.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the work, just it seems to me that, given the very small dimensions of the icons, it might be better not to clutter the eyesocket with the red eye glint.

Actually I don't prefer the red glint either. I was just playing around with the skull and tried a different eye shape. I think the new eye shape is better as it looks more evil. However maybe it looks less skull like. Just throwing ideas around.

It really depends on the screen you use. If you have say a laptop with very high resolution....then you're not going to see the detail. A desktop with an old style screen though and you will pick up a fair bit of detail. There is a limit to what you can do with pixel icons of this size, however I don't see why they can't look as good as they possibly can. One of the common complaints about FUMBBL is the 1990s graphics.

cdwat wrote:

The look I wanted was old bone that's been in the ground a long time. I remember a skeleton army from a long time ago that was done in these sort of shades rather than white and I think it looked more authentic. However looking at them, maybe they aren't so iconic?

Maybe it's a bit too dark or more probably the highlight isn't strong enough. A little washed out. I played around with the contrast, but was happiest with this. I still think my silibili skull colour schemes were better....but that was on a larger and easier scale.

I really think Jim_Fear's Jade colour is the way to go, it's perfect for them. But I don't think lighter bone gives the contrast or is very striking. Where as the darker bone colour makes the Jade really stand out. I think it's a really striking combo.

ramchop wrote:

The only thing I wonder about is gold. I think the bling is something that is a big part of khemri. How well does it show up with that bone colour?

Yes that was another problem with my colour scheme. It didn't stand out at all. So I did a dark grey/blackish collar. Which is a bit of a shame.

I think the gold is important too, however you have it on the home icons still.

You could replace the gold with more jade (this is more historically accurate bling). This would mean the icons become 2 tone instead of 3 tone. Or black/gunmetal (which would add to the evil look).

But yeah, I found the gold didn't work at all, which is a shame.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2018 - 01:46
FUMBBL Staff

harvestmouse wrote:
I am happy to character design (I think that's my main strength) and give advice. However I cannot take on an icon project. This icon was just a demo of what I planned to do with the khemri away kit a few years ago, but didn't have the time.

I think the examples and the advice are a huge contribution and an inspiration.

A next generation overhaul would be a massive undertaking. I believe incremental improvements and expansions while taking on board advice of others is a better way to go. Why wait 6 months to a year (or never) for the next level when we can make small improvments right now?

Jim_Fear go ahead with your Khemri, they're great. At worst you'd get to see them stomp all over the field for a few months before superceded by something else.

Personally I find it a thrill to see the S3 khorne icons in action, and won't mind at all if replaced by something else in the future.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2018 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mouse, so you do the highlight smudge as a overlay layer? Also, much appreciation for the advice and guidance. Best of luck with the move.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2018 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:

Jim_Fear go ahead with your Khemri

Was there ever a consensus as to which version of the bone color for the Home kit to go with?(Original, cream/beige, or "rotten white")

Also, Skeleton #6, the one with the "hat"...

Should we keep him as Skeleton #7 and make a Skeleton #8, as a reward for those coaches who carry a bench? Or, do we replace a Throw-ra with the "blinged out" version of this icon?

Votes?
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2018 - 05:37
FUMBBL Staff

Image approval takes too long.
I've made a discord channel
https://discord.gg/vymA22r
 Jump to: