36 coaches online • Server time: 09:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Smegish

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2018 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Just letting all of you know that after this season I am walking away from SWL for a bit. Between the semi-implemented ruleset forcing us to cull teams well below a TV limit I prefer and general burnout, I just can't find the motivation to play anymore.

In other news, I'm 14 Cas away from the Most Cas Suffered in a Season, looking for some help in that regard from Wozzaa and mushoomy.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Smegish wrote:
In other news, I'm 14 Cas away from the Most Cas Suffered in a Season, looking for some help in that regard from Wozzaa and mushoomy.

I will try my best.

Sad to see you go though. Hopefully only temporary.
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Smegish wrote:
Just letting all of you know that after this season I am walking away from SWL for a bit. Between the semi-implemented ruleset forcing us to cull teams well below a TV limit I prefer and general burnout, I just can't find the motivation to play anymore.

Yeah its only a game, just about everything else in life is more important so best to take time. With regards to the rebuy, I am not sure what remains to be implemented of them?

In any case, I feel a bit similarly with regards to the Seasons rules. I want to like them, but I find them overly complicated, lacking in fun, and making me do strange choices (like saving my money for the end of season rebuy rather than getting a death roller or an extra reroll).

Blood Bowl has always struggled with finding a way to prevent unlimited team development that players enjoy.

Ageing rules (where players picked up random injuries) was never very popular.

The game also moved away from overly damaging skills on field - e.g. Dirty player once upon a time was +2 on armor AND +2 on injury roll. Send-offs were easier to avoid. RSC and RSF (razor sharp claws, razor sharp fangs) were two separate skills that gave +2 to armor and +2 to injury respectively. Mighty Blow was +1/+1 and stacked with RSC and RSF. Frenzy used to allow you to keep blocking while you had movement left. Piling on added your Strength to the armor roll. Its a wonder any players were left at the end of a game! The game was also more random and cards were a big part of that.

Finally rules around winnings (whether it was using a lookup table based on your TV and FF) or "Expensive Mistakes" has always been complicated.

Dunno what the solution is. Maybe Cyanide's made up rules where players randomly retire? (I actually think they're not bad, at least they're quite straight forward).

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Question. Now that we have seasons, are there still tiebreaker games for teams that finish on equal points that haven't played each other?

Oscar Wilde
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 04:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Question. Now that we have seasons, are there still tiebreaker games for teams that finish on equal points that haven't played each other?

Yes. There is still the "strength of schedule" tie-breaker, meaning the team that played the strongest set of teams comes out on top (the sum of opposition points totals).

Last edited by Balle2000 on Sep 24, 2018 - 12:34; edited 1 time in total
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Grod wrote:

Yes. There is still the "strength of schedule" tie-breaker, meaning the team the played the strongest set of teams comes out on top (the sum of opposition points totals).

Ok but you dont have to play an extra game? Cool.

Oscar Wilde
Tomay

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Shame to see you leave Smegish, but after a season like that it's probably not a bad idea to take a break if you feel burned out.

Been a very interesting Prem this season on numerous levels.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL Season LXXIII Round 5 Axe

SWL Drakeular Memorial Premier League LXXIII

East Farkner Journeymens Club vs Unicorn Gunfight - extension Tuesday

SWL Memories of FUMBBLs Past Conference LXXIII

Ratty Old Elves vs Evil Moon Rising - extension Wednesday

SWL Daughters of the Song Conference LXXIII

All Clear.

SWL Viola Regional LXXIII

All Clear

ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Heya all, have been following the SWL's experiment with interest on seasons... hard to gather from the Forums, but I take it the manual application of it has been a bit of a chore?

I actually like the concept... but I enjoy team sport simulation games that include ageing so I have never had the problem with the notion of ageing rules or retirements.

Does anyone know when the season management stuff will be fully automated in fumbbl?

Clay

PS - may come back one day... I have the bug again and have been playing a bit of ranked. But the timezone to Oz is still a big issue for me playing!
almic85

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 06:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The admins have a script set up by Barre that works out what we need to buy/sell to so it's not that bad for us coaches.

The biggest pain for us is that we need to drop from the $1M allocated to us at the end of the season down to what we are meant to end up with.

Like you I don't mind the end of season team management and miss the way that SWL used to cull back to division limited TV/TR at the start of each season, so seasons end stuff doesn't bother me, but there are a few in the SWL and abroad that don't really like the mechanic.

If you're interested join the Fringe
Irgy

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a big problem with the manual implementation side of things. The way the rules work you mostly only do team management between seasons, so it's not really any more work than before. I'm sure some people get it wrong but it seems to get sorted out.

I don't personally find the system to be well designed, for a range of reasons. But I'm glad we're trying it out and I think it's only a few tweaks and iterations away from being something decent. I'm just maybe a little passionate at times about those tweaks and iterations.
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Southern Wastes League (SWL) Enters 4th Season of New Era!

SWL (Southern Wastes League) is one of the most active and friendly Leagues on the FUMBBL platform. The SWL has a long and proud history stretching back 73+ seasons and beginning way back in the dawn of FUMBBL (c.2003). Our coaches and thus games are broadly based in the Australian/ New Zealand Timezone GMT +7 to +12 timezones.

The second Premier Season of the SWL BB16 era is wrapping up with new challengers competing for the Grand Prize! Going into the last round there are still FOUR (4) teams left in the race! Mushoomy's Pugs not Drugs (Necro) are in pole position, but Foad's Blackwater Cockfighters (All Frenzy Norse) are breathing right down their necks. Then my own Lab Rat Elysium (Skaven) playing Dunenzed's East Farkner Journeymens Club (Humans) for the chance to win it all if the front runners falter, and head to head for the 3rd spot to avoid relegation from Premier division! Meanwhile in the conferences the last few teams are jostling to secure promtion for next season and in Reggies we have teams rapidly putting on weight to bome play with the rest of the pack. Some great games to spectate (Real Time) so come and have a CHAT

Come and join in the fun![/b]

All that is required is:
- an internet connection (speed not a factor, dial up is sufficient)
- the ability to commit to organise and play one game of blood bowl each week over a 7 week period during the evenings in Australian EST evening time.

For those who haven't tried the new client or are unfamiliar with the FUMBBL website, it is very impressive and easy to use. Also, the website provides many great tools that have allowed us to build this prestigious league.

What you need to do:

- Head to the SWL Group Page: Just check out the Guide Smile

- Come and say hello at SWL on Discord. Lots of friendly coaches who can help answer any questions about the league or FUMBBL itself.

- Submit a draft list ASAP – the league balances races to ensure some variety. Figure out which races suit you best; list them in order of preference and send it to Tussock (draft admin) and swladmin via PM. We suggest you list ALL 24 eligible races.

- Teams are drawn on Monday 8th OCT at 8pm EST and you can then get the team prepared and submitted ready for the season to start!

Any questions let me know Smile

Cheers Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 06:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Any word on which teams are available for drafting?

Oscar Wilde
Boriz

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also like to know which teams are available for drafting

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

We don't release the teams available for drafting before the draft. You have to enter and hope for the best by putting your preferred races at the top. If you are after a specific race than it is never guaranteed and you can either do the numbers and ask around and then hope you are the first pick or wait for the second round draft and hope that the race is below the minimum required (in which case you would have got them in the first round draft anyway). Your best bet is to have several races you are happy to play and put them at the top of the list regardless of whether you think they're going to be available or not. Follow them with backups you can work with and if you get stuck with something that's not ideal - experiment or make it work.

Jump to: