49 coaches online • Server time: 20:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should I fire Lesui?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 26 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 56

mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2018 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
My goodness there is sometimes a lot of guff talked by men with low EI about the 'right' or statistically most effective choices other coaches should make.

Firstly they rarely point out that their advice is limited to statistical averages, and hence not specific. They do not know you, or your play style, nor do they often bother to view the team, let alone imagine how it will work on the field.

Secondly such coaches are often quite good, sometimes even very good, Blood Bowl coaches. But they are almost never the very top coaches, because numbers only get you so far. Beyond that feel and creativity rise to the fore.

I think it is clear, and universally accepted, that this player is not at peak TV efficiency, and that is a factor, but only one factor. What weight you give it is up to you. There are other factors you might want to consider, but they get a little nebulous....

The 'story' of your team: I don't mean fluff, i mean 'what does it do?', How does it get the ball? how does it protect it? The synergies of a skill stack can be statistically proved, but the synergies of a teams set of players and skill stacks is far harder to be certain of. Yet actual Blood Bowl is played by the team, not the individual players, so it is that synergy that is arguably more important to be considering.

Also I would bring in the huge human factors, and both sides are relevant here. Most obviously what does that player existing in your team do to the opponents thinking and planning? Will it change their onfield decisions? Will it attract Blitzes and numbers hence opening other areas and options to you? For a insight into this effect consider how the 2TV for a DP player (even on a team where such a skill isn't statistically merited) can change the entire mindset of an opponent.

The fluff 'story' can also be huge. What makes you pick up that team to play with and not others? We all have limited gaming time, and most of us are seeking 'fun', for some that fun is efficiency and the display of accounting skills, for some it's less about flat numbers and more about round experiences, and you know what? that's Ok.

And then there is your own mindset, and here seems the core of your current question: Do you have belief in the player? What does fielding them do to your morale? your approach? your planning? your belief in yourself and your team? Here also it is important to know yourself as a gamer and how much of a factor you are to your playing. Often the coaches more wedded to statistically pure builds will also try and remove this factor by 'emotionless playing', this is of course impossible, but even getting near to it has imposes its own limits, by trying to normalise a bell curve of response one also eliminates the possibility to be ahead of the average in this area.

So, should you keep the player? I probably would.

I would argue that asking at all means you are losing or have lost belief in them to aid you and that's maybe the biggest issue. And that the answer lies not in the player but on the team, what will it do better or worse without him? And 'be more TV efficient' is only a part of that answer.

As you state, the player has advantages to being around, but you don't feel they are delivering value onfield. then surely the real answer is use them better, not dump them.

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=12056748

This is an example of a player that would probably drive some more traditional coaches mad but lines up exactly with stuff that helps me in game.

How?

1. Having a more rote method of offense helps me stay on track. Yes, passing isn't the safest way to score but... it gets me out of thinking I need to over protect my offensive attack and potentially paint myself into a corner.

2. The skills themselves are all synergistic with what he does and hopes to do - the AG5 on safe throw makes interceptions just a bit more unlikely (since it's a 2+ roll to overcome the INT and proceed as normal on the turn) and a lot of opponents simply think 'he dare not even risk an interception on this play' and position accordingly. Well screw that, I'm gonna go over the top and you are going to be hard pressed to stop it (https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=4011594). Also it's a 2+ pass anywhere on the field. Which is a bacon saver (https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4011413 - Blitz! kickoff result puts me under the gun to dice the ball out of the hands of Eldril but that doesn't matter much if at all if I can't clear the ball out of danger, which I do on a 2+ pass to the entire other side of the pitch).

3. It's not how a lot of coaches play even if they could which makes it somewhat unfamiliar to defend against. If I have 4 scoring options on a 2d6, 2+ 2+ who and what do you defend? And does that just let me goof around an extra turn to set up the exact same situation in every future turn?

Now there are definitely differences between my player and his player but the overarching point is that some players can provide an edge based on going against the grain and using an ingrained risk adverse attitude against other coaches.

FWIW Coca Loca just won an Instasmack where White Lady was definitely integral in the middle match thanks to saving the bacon on that one drive and keeping the ball out of War Dancer danger on offense. Sealing the final game on offense by going over the top and stalling until turn 5 in the 2nd half was just icing on the cake.
Applulz

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2018 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=12056748

This is an example of a player that would probably drive some more traditional coaches mad but lines up exactly with stuff that helps me in game.

How?

1. Having a more rote method of offense helps me stay on track. Yes, passing isn't the safest way to score but... it gets me out of thinking I need to over protect my offensive attack and potentially paint myself into a corner.

2. The skills themselves are all synergistic with what he does and hopes to do - the AG5 on safe throw makes interceptions just a bit more unlikely (since it's a 2+ roll to overcome the INT and proceed as normal on the turn) and a lot of opponents simply think 'he dare not even risk an interception on this play' and position accordingly. Well screw that, I'm gonna go over the top and you are going to be hard pressed to stop it (https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=4011594). Also it's a 2+ pass anywhere on the field. Which is a bacon saver (https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4011413 - Blitz! kickoff result puts me under the gun to dice the ball out of the hands of Eldril but that doesn't matter much if at all if I can't clear the ball out of danger, which I do on a 2+ pass to the entire other side of the pitch).

3. It's not how a lot of coaches play even if they could which makes it somewhat unfamiliar to defend against. If I have 4 scoring options on a 2d6, 2+ 2+ who and what do you defend? And does that just let me goof around an extra turn to set up the exact same situation in every future turn?

Now there are definitely differences between my player and his player but the overarching point is that some players can provide an edge based on going against the grain and using an ingrained risk adverse attitude against other coaches.

FWIW Coca Loca just won an Instasmack where White Lady was definitely integral in the middle match thanks to saving the bacon on that one drive and keeping the ball out of War Dancer danger on offense. Sealing the final game on offense by going over the top and stalling until turn 5 in the 2nd half was just icing on the cake.

How is that player / passing with elves going "against the grain"? Looks like a pretty standard thrower build to me, if with some nice rolls.....
 Jump to: