39 coaches online • Server time: 12:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eczemabeard

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I'm ancient and new at the same time.

Used to play BB tabletop until careers, marriages, houses, kids (or nurglings) happened to my mates and me. Then the 2016 edition was released, and everyone said 'we should totes do this' And then nobody did anything. And then someone bought the box set, and then Nurgle were released, and then everyone bought new teams again and started playing BB again. Occasionally, on account of wives, children, careers.

That's why I want to go here to get my kicks Smile

I've played Norse a ton (and have seen many iterations of that team, including with Huscarls and with four blitzers and a minotaur), but Nurgle barely (<20 games). Risk-taker, greed-blocker, overworked, underslept, so a nice opponent to get SPPs against Smile

I'm old as dirt, as you may have gathered. Too daft and lazy for computer things too. Where can I try get everything running without starting an actual game?

Edit: top of the page, so it's all very official
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome! If you go to games->current games you can click to spectate one. To make sure Java works.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Welcome! If you go to games->current games you can click to spectate one. To make sure Java works.
Okay I've really got questionable computer skills lol.

garyt1, is my browser supposed to download some weird extension file when I click spectate?
jdm

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends Smile

The game client that fumbbl uses is java based and you need to have java installed in order to play. You can spectate from in browser using this link and cclicking the spectate button https://fumbbl.com/p/phaserapp

Once you have java installed and associate the game client with java then it should auto open when you press spectate.

If it's trying to get you to download some other file then I'd suggest a virus scan Smile

And welcome to fumbbl. Make yourself at home. There's BB to suit all types available

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

If it's downloading the .jnlp file and not replaying it then make sure to check that javaws.exe is opening the file (java web start) Usually this is done by right clicking on the file and making sure it's set properly.
Eczemabeard

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2019 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma I'll check that, thanks

jdmickleburgh your link worked prefectly, thanks!
CrookfangRob

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2019 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

I'm an old hand to BB but new here. Just created my team, the Crooked Fangs, which is a duplicate of my 'real' Orc team that I'm in the process of converting and painting up.

I've spectated a bit, I'm hoping I can get the hang of it quickly once I start playing.
Hoping to have a game this week if I have a night to myself.

Out of interest, roughly how long does it take to play a game?

Cheers,

Rob
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2019 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi CrookfangRob, welcome to the site! You will soon be addicted. Wink

We are advised to have 90 minutes free time when we take on a game and that is reasonable imo. Though experienced players will say they play one in an hour.

If you want to familiarise yourself with the client, you can try it out in Test mode.
Tomay

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2019 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

It will take a while to get used to the client so leave yourself around 1.45. When you get used to the client, if you know Blood Bowl it will be significantly quicker - especially with low level teams.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2019 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Rawlf wrote:
Hi CrookfangRob, welcome to the site! You will soon be addicted. Wink

We are advised to have 90 minutes free time when we take on a game and that is reasonable imo. Though experienced players will say they play one in an hour.

If you want to familiarise yourself with the client, you can try it out in Test mode.

Sweet. I will try Test Mode later.

I'm pretty familiar with the rules, so I think I'll pick it up.

Without anyone to play against I've created a version of Excel version of BB so I can have games against myself...
Mouk

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2019 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to the game, just 3 or 4 years playing tabletop. A friend of mine introduced me to fumbbl through the Secret League and its teams, and a few days ago I started playing here. I'm still getting used to the client and seeing the pitch in a different way, but I think it's a wonderful tool to practice and try new teams without leaving the couch.

I like slow and defensive teams like Nurgle and Khemri, and teams that offer a challenge like Slann and Khorne. I played a tabletop league using the Pygmies and it was a lot of fun, and now I'm trying the Sisters of Sigmar for the first time and I'm really enjoying them.

I hope to play with all of you soon!
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2019 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome aboard!

Be sure to check out the Rookie Rumble

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2019 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Tried Test Mode last night. It's cool. Feels like playing tabletop Blood Bowl! Except it's so easy to go for dodges and GFIs - you just have to press a button. Tempting.

One more noob question - can someone direct me to the iteration of the BB rules in use on FUMBBL? I am very familiar with the old 3rdE rules and I have the latest box set rules (which as far as I can tell are the same - I guess the difference is in some of skills which are not included in the basic game), and I've also found the NAF Competition Rules online. (https://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/CRP1.pdf)

However, when I follow the link on FUMBBL it just takes me to the main Games Workshop homepage.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2019 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer is trying to keep FUMBBL as close to the 'official rules' as possible, so the box set is basically fine. GW seems to add extra rules with every bit of merchandise they release and a lot of stuff is optional and some things could not be coded into the client (yet?) so there are a few deviations i think.
Nothing major though, so I would suggest you just play a bit and find out along the way.^^
CrookfangRob

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2019 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Rawlf wrote:
Christer is trying to keep FUMBBL as close to the 'official rules' as possible, so the box set is basically fine. GW seems to add extra rules with every bit of merchandise they release and a lot of stuff is optional and some things could not be coded into the client (yet?) so there are a few deviations i think.
Nothing major though, so I would suggest you just play a bit and find out along the way.^^

Thanks, that makes sense.

I know the core rules, it's the nitty gritty of the skills I'd like to check. EG Mighty Blow used to be +1 to armour AND injury roll. In the NAF rules it's to armour OR injury rolls. FUMBBL seems to work on the former ruling.

I'm also the kind of person who likes reading rules. Maybe I'll download the current e-version of Death Zone.
 Jump to: