35 coaches online • Server time: 11:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,

I run the FUMBBL client from Firefox in Ubuntu 18.04, which I installed about a week ago. The client was running using IcedTea until a day or two ago, but now when I try and spec or start a match, nothing happens.

Trying to run it from the command line:

Code:
$ /usr/bin/javaws ffblive.jnlp

gives the following error:

Code:
selected jre: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle thread 'main' panicked at 'Error spawning JVM process, java executable: [/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle], arguments: [["-splash:/usr/share/icedtea-web/javaws_splash.png", "-Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/share/icedtea-web/javaws.jar:/usr/share/java/js.jar:/usr/share/java/tagsoup.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/lib/ext/nashorn.jar:", "-classpath", "/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/lib/rt.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/lib/ext/jfxrt.jar:", "-Dicedtea-web.bin.name=javaws", "-Dicedtea-web.bin.location=/usr/lib/icedtea-web/bin/javaws", "net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.Boot", "ffblive.jnlp"]]', src/os_access.rs:36:19 note: Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 for a backtrace.

I uninstalled Java 8 with the intention of reinstalling it, but it seems like the PPAs are no longer being maintained as Oracle require you to log in using an account. I also tried using Java 11, but that gives a similar error.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can get the client running, please?

Many thanks!! <3

Last edited by The_Carthaginian on Apr 19, 2019 - 12:15; edited 1 time in total
razmus

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm only a casual Ubuntu user, and don't play with Java on that platform anymore, but... Does this link help? https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a casual too - that's one of the links where they explain that the PPAs for Java 8 won't be maintained.
razmus

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

But at the bottom it gives instructions for adding an untrusted repository for obtaining the unsupported PPA going forward.
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohh, yes - I saw this when I first started trying to fix the issue and then forgot all about that as I fell down the rabbit hole.

Adding that PPA gives the message:

Code:
N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.

I don't know how to explicitly accept it - any ideas?
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

(Oh wait, might have found it)
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope - added the repository but get error 404 when I try installing.
razmus

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... don't know for certain, and I'm taking a guess, but based on this previous occurrence and that the PPA is manually updated and I suspect oracle just moved files with the license change on Tuesday... that it's awaiting someone at WebUpd8 to update the installer... Sad
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2019 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully! I came across that thread too. Let's see if it gets updated.
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2019 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Stowelly's kind advice saves the day!

The solution was to download the .rpm directly from Oracle's website (free account required), and convert it to a .deb with a tool called Alien: https://www.howtoforge.com/converting_rpm_to_deb_with_alien

I also had to get oracle-java8-installer. I couldn't get that from Synaptic, but was able to get it directly from deb.org: https://deb.pkgs.org/universal/opennms-stable-i386/oracle-java8-installer_8u131-1~webupd8~2_all.deb.html

See you on the pitch!
det

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2019 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

nice, this might turn in handy when I upgrade my version...thanks!
 Jump to: