30 coaches online • Server time: 10:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you be interested in joining a Seasons based league?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 17, 2019 - 21:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Hi fellow Fumbblers

Since Christer announced the new changes to league and extra customisation options, I’ve been pondering a league based around the bb2016 seasons concept. I’ve decided I’d like to give this a go, so this is a poll just to gauge interest.

The basic concept would be:
- Full bb2016 rules as much as possible
- Short league season, thinking 8 teams/7 games. One division for every 8 people interested. Likely a 10 day game window.
- Each season ends with redraft as in DZ1
- Possibly a short ‘play-offs’ style tourney at the end of each season, depending on how many players and divisions there are

I’m initially considering a highlander style one race per league (24 players) but if more are interested I’d waive that.

Let me know any thoughts or bright ideas I haven’t considered. Or just drop a Yes in the poll so I can see whether it’s worth pursuing.

Cheers

Josh

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
DrPoods

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I would if you used your LRB7 rosters... OGRES FOR THE WIN!

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL has been running Seasons for the last 6 seasons: .. guide shows the rules we use as worked out over the course of that time.

Things to watch out for - 7 games gives very little cash. Not setting an expectation of what teams will look like after only 7 games and rebuy will lead to unhappy coaches. Adding a Starting Cash kicker to the 1 million helps to set the TV levels to an amount coaches can still have fun with, for example ~1500 TV.

Think about how you 'award' rebuy budget in the case of a forfeit. Again spelled out in the SWL guide, but we give ~70k to make up for the winnings, TDs, and CAS lost to the coach awarded the 'win' only. The forfeiting coach just misses out.

As a longer running league we also extended out the 'Season' to 10 games vs the 7 game Seasons we play. This means you roll for Wants to Retire at the end of every normal Season but the roll and cost impact are calculated based on 10 game increments.

Our tireless Admin (Barre) has created some coding to work out WTR, Niggles being 'Fixed', etc. The Admins then go in and assign 1 million cash to teams who can then buy whatever they need or retain players as desired and then cut the remaining cash (though Admin can now remove this as well). You'll have to think about how to manage these rolls and the Admin work to make the changes within the League you set up Smile

SWL has as a result seen more varied competition at all levels of our league structure than ever before. Coaches need to work on the Team as well as players as the players themselves are much shorter term commodities in BB16 rules.

SWL Discord if you have other questions on how it has been implemented for the Admin and Coaches Smile

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

As mentioned by D_Arquebus, SWL made the jump over a year ago (thanks to an external script written by our own Barre).

So far we have had mixed feedback (as tends to happen with all changes) but the experience appears to be much better in a perpetual league environment, so I encourage you to set up something for the Northern Hemisphere. Its great having to manage teams again.

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 09:00
FUMBBL Staff

Thanks, this is excellent. I didn’t know any existing leagues were using seasons, let alone one as big as SWL

I aren’t new to seasons, we’ve been using them on tabletop for 4 seasons already so I’m aware of most of the issues mentioned, but it’ll still be good to check out how it’s been working out for you guys. The more balanced TV, increased competition and added team management are all things I like about the system that I think people might be missing out on if they’ve never given it a try.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Could you give me the link to Christer's newest announcement?

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:

I couldn't find it either.

It is maybe just an old announcement. e.g. Commishes get to edit teams and players.

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 20:11
FUMBBL Staff

koadah wrote:
bghandras wrote:

I couldn't find it either.

It is maybe just an old announcement. e.g. Commishes get to edit teams and players.

Yes, sorry. Not new, just new since I last ran a league

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

From people complaining on Facebook about some teams getting much better while all the losers never recover, feels like the SWL approach with multiple divisions really helps. But I suppose you don't get that in the first season...

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Hi fellow Fumbblers

Since Christer announced the new changes to league and extra customisation options, I’ve been pondering a league based around the bb2016 seasons concept. I’ve decided I’d like to give this a go, so this is a poll just to gauge interest.

The basic concept would be:
- Full bb2016 rules as much as possible
- Short league season, thinking 8 teams/7 games. One division for every 8 people interested. Likely a 10 day game window.
- Each season ends with redraft as in DZ1
- Possibly a short ‘play-offs’ style tourney at the end of each season, depending on how many players and divisions there are

I’m initially considering a highlander style one race per league (24 players) but if more are interested I’d waive that.

Let me know any thoughts or bright ideas I haven’t considered. Or just drop a Yes in the poll so I can see whether it’s worth pursuing.

Cheers

Josh

What are those new changes and extra customization options or where can I read about them?

Thanks,

Burn

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 21:09
FUMBBL Staff

It’s not a new announcement, it’s from December. I apologise if I caused any confusion. I just meant to say that since the changes I’ve been contemplating how they would allow seasons to work, in a manual form, for leagues.

Well, we’ve had a few yes votes but no actual comments from people wanting to play. I guess seasons aren’t popular on Fumbbl Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 21:11
FUMBBL Staff

MrCushtie wrote:
From people complaining on Facebook about some teams getting much better while all the losers never recover, feels like the SWL approach with multiple divisions really helps. But I suppose you don't get that in the first season...

I don’t use Facebook, but this seems like a strange criticism to level at seasons. Their purpose is entirely the opposite, to bring high TV teams down and boost the lower ones.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
koadah

Post   Posted: May 18, 2019 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO the official rules should always be taken with plenty of salt.

mister__joshua wrote:

Well, we’ve had a few yes votes but no actual comments from people wanting to play. I guess seasons aren’t popular on Fumbbl Smile

Early days yet.

Seasons may well be good when applied in a sensible way. But on their own, are they enough to start yet another league for?

As we already have plenty of good leagues, I think that a new one needs a bit more to differentiate it.

What is the fluff?

Jump to: