50 coaches online • Server time: 19:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
McLovin

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2019 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't make any sense. Can we make a site rule that makes the throw roll happen BEFORE the intercept attempt? That would not only make sense.

The throw roll should happen BEFORE the intercept roll. How do you intercept a failed pass? It doesn't make sense and it has mad the difference in my past 3 games. It's dumb and annoying. Sure, I'm biased caused it led to 3 losses, but it STILL doesn't make sense in any way! I was against this rule BEFORE my losing streak, but I have felt like it was a stupid rule since it's inception
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2019 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, FUMBBL makes sure that the client follows all official BB rules (within reason) and intercept before the pass is in the rules. You will probably have to forward your concern to those in power to change the ruleset Smile

AFAIK it's that way so that intercepts actually happen as they are far too rare otherwise. That being said, I will almost always gfi to make sure I'm not passing over someone as usually the intercept is a critical error and will probably decide the game.
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2019 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

heheheheee a common conclusion by tabletop coaches. But actually it makes the game pace faster and it lets you intercept more. If you roll the pass first and then the int, the int would be a very rare sight.

If you get intercepted in 3 consecutive games, maybe you should stop throwing over players? Smile Or, if you like that game option to throw over lines, take the save throw skill.
razmus

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2019 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

The good news is that it's not a new question.

There is a note in the CRP page 22:
"Designer's Note: Many coaches argue over the realism of rolling to intercept before rolling to pass. Like many rules in Blood Bowl it is an abstraction to make the game work better. Think instead of the interception/passing rolls as a complete series of rolls to determine the outcome of a pass rather than sequential steps."

Joost

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2019 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

razmus wrote:
The good news is that it's not a new question.

There is a note in the CRP page 22:
"Designer's Note: Many coaches argue over the realism of rolling to intercept before rolling to pass. Like many rules in Blood Bowl it is an abstraction to make the game work better. Think instead of the interception/passing rolls as a complete series of rolls to determine the outcome of a pass rather than sequential steps."

Indeed. View it as a story telling mechanism. If the first roll is a 1 the story is a thrown ball that got heroically intercepted. any other roll on the first dice then opens the door to other storylines, such as the fumble, the missed throw or the accurate pass.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

interception was changed to occur before accuracy roll back ~2002 to increase frequency/risk of INT in the game.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I think INT's should be 3spp as well... so rare and would encourage the use of pass block and other INT handy skills too. And make Safe Throw more important...
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Joost wrote:

Indeed. View it as a story telling mechanism. If the first roll is a 1 the story is a thrown ball that got heroically intercepted. any other roll on the first dice then opens the door to other storylines, such as the fumble, the missed throw or the accurate pass.

Actually, a roll of 1 while trying to intercept is always a failure, not a success.
That said, I agree with the OP that checking for the interception BEFORE seeing the outcome of the pass is against logic.
If you fumble, you can't be intercepted (unless the intercepting player is marking the thrower).
Another illogical thing is the fumble chance's increase as the throwing range increases.
Trying to pass far should make the pass scatter more in case of failure, rather than fumble more.
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Fumbbl Adage #44:

When on the forums MattDakka agrees, both he and the original poster should leave.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. With the designer's note this thread was close-able, right?
 Jump to: