48 coaches online • Server time: 20:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone!

I've recently developed an MA 10 skink. Now, obviously this skink is going to die before it gets more skills; and even if it doesn't, it will be removed from the pitch before it gets a chance to one turn.

But nevertheless, I am condemning my beautiful skink to an early grave, and thinking about future skill choices.

I think the options are: take +agi or +STR. Obviously not likely, but who wouldn't want a player worth 200k+ that doesn't have block?

What about +av? Might actually be worth it given the undoubted failed dodges and gfis coming to this skink.

But after the stat bonuses, next we have skills.

I figure the only options are: block, catch, sure feet, sprint, side step.

But how important is block to a one Turner? If it's meant to score, is that likely to need to stay up? But with sprint (and the already prodigious STR 3), block could let it natural blitz kinda safely?

If no doubles, sprint let's it natural one turn, but sure feet would make it much safer even if it still needs a push. But catch (especially with Shindahl around) would actually let it get the ball in order to perform that one turn in the first place.
Sidestep helps for being shoved into the enemy half with very few players available to do pushes, specially with my grab saurus, and sidestep is probably the best for non one turning to allow sideline hugging.

So, thoughts on what will never happen anyway for my skink who is soon to die?
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

One-turning is fun (for you, not the opponent) but very situational. If you really rely on it to win a match things already have gone fairly badly. I'd just prefer, short lifed as it is, if it were be useful to do more than just one-turn.

But I also don't min/max too much.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

It is still a skink.

The only difference in skill choices if not considering the one turn capability would be to swap block with wrestle; and to swap sprint/sure feet with diving tackle.

But overall the discussion remains the same.

Also, as Shrieking Bloodstorm will continue to enter the majors, one turning is more important. Plus I'm very rusty, so one turning is necessary more often than I'd like.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

As a lizard coach (though only in League), I prefer as many free RRs as I can get.

Also, OTS players can turn loses into ties and ties into wins, so don't underestimate their impact.

So my preference would be catch -> sure feet -> SS/sprint (toss up, depends on your confidence in chaining)

Enjoy him while you can

Don't drop the soap.
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

As it's a passing team, catch makes a lot of sense. Otherwise I'd take side step first. I really like sure feet on skinks, makes them that little bit faster more reliably when you really need to run away from danger!
madvig

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

i would go: sure feet, sprint, (or the other way around if your middlename is "danger"), catch, sidestep. av is a waste if you ask me.

Have had 2 skinks like yours, and the oneturn as mentioned earlier is just a decent chance to change the game result from bad to good, or atleast grom bad to less bad Wink

i think i would go sure hands before block, unless you got another guy with sure hands...
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have anyone with sure hands, but generally if I'm in an urgent pick up situation I'm going to use Shindahl anyway instead of an agi 3 sure hands.
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I would take block and/or sure hands on doubles. Yes a natural oneturner is great but in the majority of games you can get 1 push and both those skills really help you the other 15 turns of the game. As far as normals I would go in this order.

sure feet
sprint
side step/catch

I always take sure feet before sprint at this point. One turn attempts burn rerolls so having more skill rerolls late in the attempt is big. Also I think it is a better skill the other 15 turns.

Sprint is clear. just makes it easy.

Personally I like sidestep over catch but thats because in my experience I barely got to attempt oneturns when I had one and its better the rest of the time. (Also SS helps you cut out GFIs at the end of the attempt which I think might offset the benefits of catch)
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

My thought behind catch is that generally, you need your one Turner lined up on the LoS. Then you still need to get the ball. Generally your opponent will kick dead center, or 2 squares back and opposite (if they have kick), to maximize distance while also avoiding a touchback.

You can't move the one Turner to get the ball, so someone else does. Even with Shindahl, there's still decent chances you need to burn the team re-roll just getting the ball, and quite possibly for a pass (not a handoff) to get the ball to the one Turner. This skink is only agi 3 - that's not great odds to catch the ball.

With team re-roll, catch, and Shindahl, I can reasonably get the ball to Ziaslees from anywhere on my half to at least attempt the one turn.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

So I'm inclined to do sure feet then catch then ... I dunno, I'll deal with that later.
 Jump to: