42 coaches online • Server time: 15:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LittleBits47

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2019 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

How are Swiss comps ran in fumbbl? Like is there a set amount of players I need? Do I need to worry about setting a round limit? Is there any other administration stuff that I need to worry about, or can I just simply set it and forget it?
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2019 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

LittleBits47 wrote:
How are Swiss comps ran in fumbbl? Like is there a set amount of players I need? Do I need to worry about setting a round limit? Is there any other administration stuff that I need to worry about, or can I just simply set it and forget it?

A) Four and up, I believe.

B) No, you select the number of rounds.

C) Just custom rules and things like that.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotta be an even number of teams.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

MonkeyMan576 nailed it, but to add a little more...

A) Yep, I think all the tournaments will need at least four. And you'll want an even number of teams, otherwise someone is gonna be the odd person out, and they could well get stuck there... (Don't quote me on that though... I've never tried an odd number of participates.)

B) You pick the number of rounds as the admin. If you have a goal of minimizing repeat games... I'd try to keep the number of rounds less than twice the number of participants. Swiss does a great job of avoiding repeat matches at the top, and gives some awesome matchups in the later rounds... but repeats can happen at the bottom of the list.

C) One thing that does require a little administration around here is prodding the last few matchups to play every round... otherwise the tournament will languish. But if everyone plays, the subsequent rounds happen automagically.

MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

razmus wrote:
MonkeyMan576 nailed it, but to add a little more...

A) Yep, I think all the tournaments will need at least four. And you'll want an even number of teams, otherwise someone is gonna be the odd person out, and they could well get stuck there... (Don't quote me on that though... I've never tried an odd number of participates.)

B) You pick the number of rounds as the admin. If you have a goal of minimizing repeat games... I'd try to keep the number of rounds less than twice the number of participants. Swiss does a great job of avoiding repeat matches at the top, and gives some awesome matchups in the later rounds... but repeats can happen at the bottom of the list.

C) One thing that does require a little administration around here is prodding the last few matchups to play every round... otherwise the tournament will languish. But if everyone plays, the subsequent rounds happen automagically.

I think you can have an odd number of teams one team will have a bye.
razmus

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Gotta be an even number of teams.

Aha! And ninja'd. And koadah would know, 'cause theyv've set up way more tournaments than to which I can even aspire.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

You guys are tripping. Wink

You must have an even number of teams and at least 8.

Edit: Ah, Ninja'd

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

heh. And I just came back after testing... and can confirm... yep, five failed with a message that it had to be at least eight, and nine failed because it HAS to be an even number of participants.

And that last one I feel better about... because an odd number of participants just feels wrong. You CAN add a filler team, and forfeit the filler team each round, but even better to find an even number of participants.
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

My bad
tussock

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

To order everyone well at the end with pure swiss, you want at least three rounds for 8 players, four rounds for 10-16, and five rounds for 18-32, and often one more if people are getting a few ties at the top. Though you can set force overtime to stop ties happening.

But you also don't really want more than three rounds, because people drop out too often. So, probably three rounds plus a knockout for the top four or top eight on fumbbl, is what I've seen work well around here. Maybe even top 16 knockout for a huge swiss, so everyone on one loss + two wins gets a chance.

Admin is the usual forfeiting games that don't get played on time, you need people to include you in PMs and such. Because the following round is not drawn until all games are played, you must use strict deadlines, or it gets super frustrating for everyone.

Initial seeding is an option to consider, though random works well enough in Swiss as getting beat up first round can make the rest of it relatively easy.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet, thanks guys.
 Jump to: