47 coaches online • Server time: 20:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Want temporary penalties?
Yes please!
29%
 29%  [ 13 ]
No, too draconian.
70%
 70%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 44

Dalfort

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Dalfort wrote:
If your experience is hardly a measure for anything, why raise the question?

Because I care about my fellow fumbblers? I really appreciated your question here Very Happy

Then has it been raised to you by others who have had a problem with it?

I am not trying to an ass (it comes naturally!) I am not a huge fan of text based conversations, conveying tone has always been difficult.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Joost wrote:
sorry, I'm not familiar with the term 'table-flip concession'; does it mean something like flipping the board over in anger?

What I mean by using this rather flippant expression, is the kind of concessions/disconnections that sometimes happen at the first sign of trouble.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:

I see it every other day in chat I believe.

Yes, text is awful for communication Very Happy
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Dalfort wrote:

I see it every other day in chat I believe.

Yes, text is awful for communication Very Happy

Then I'll stand aside and have ready your lance sir <bows graciously> Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Dalfort wrote:
Personally I think you are trying to fix something that isn't broken, procedures are already in place

Yes, but these procedures require actual man hours to execute.

I'm more trying to lessen the admin workload, by adding an automization, than fixing something, I reckon.

How many man hours will it take to code in the automization? And how much time of the Admins time does it take to deal with these types of cases?

Cost/benefit it up!
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

In my experience, rage quit concessions rarely happen. I'm currently playing most my games in the box.

No need for any harsher penalties than the ones that are already in the game.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Everybody has a different concept of what is an unjustified concession. Let me elaborate.

Your opponent sets up for his receiving drive. He starts with a block and rolls a quad skull, you swoop in, pickup the ball, he tries to get through your screen but fails to hinder you, your cage goes to sit comfortably in a corner waiting for the drive to reach the last turn. Before you can score, concession.

Unjustified?

Similar scenario. Your opponent does his blocks, sets up a screen, goes for the pickup and fails. The bounces favour you, or you manage to further bounce the ball with your blitz, anyway the drive developes the same way as above, but before you can score, there's a concession.

Unjustified?

Or maybe the opponent plays the first half to the end, and then when you start with a very strong offense drive, he can't possibly stop your score without rolling a bunch of 6+ dodges and a double uphill pow, and he concedes before your second touchdown, because he doesn't see the point in such a game.

Unjustified?

You can add further layers to it, maybe some freak cas from an unskilled lino, maybe your one claw player is doing a removal per turn, somebody already mentioned team preservation...

Personally I try to adhere to a sort of fuzzy personal rule. My current criteria could be described as, I'm play a rookie or almost rookie team which is getting destroyed, and I'm probably going to retire the team afterwards, and I have no chance of turning the game around. Under these conditions, the time spent on finishing the game can almost certainly be considered wasted, no matter how much I value the human being on the other end of the client as a one-time friend and co-enjoyer of a game, which is supposed to be fun.

This excludes round robin leagues, developed teams, most BBT games, etc. Seems strict enough to me as a personal rule. Some others might think I'm a whiny crybaby who wants to hug his pixels, and you should always stick to the end. The end turn button is there to be pressed 6 times if needed. Some instead might think that these criteria are too strict and their concessions that fall out of my self imposed rules are totally justified.

tl;dr: YMMV, nobody can draw a line between justified and unjustified concession, the option is there to be used, staff is there to police it

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

SeekingtheTruth wrote:
How many man hours will it take to code in the automization?

Exactly.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:
tl;dr: YMMV, nobody can draw a line between justified and unjustified concession, the option is there to be used, staff is there to police it

But what about an automatic solution?

Not sure if this is the best analogy, but in Basketball you get penalized if you take more than 3 steps without dribbling the ball. Whether you intended to, or gained advantage from it doesn't matter.

Maybe on Fumbbl if you concede and/or have non-return disconnect 2 or more times within 10 games, you get a temporary disincentive.

Of course its the time/benefit in all of this, but there is no use in arguing that here, let's just say: if it was implementable, would it really be a bad thing?
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2020 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand this is coming from a good place, but I think considering the strain currently put on internet connections in many locations due to cv-19, this could end up with plenty of innocent victims and increased admin work in dealing with them.

There's also the fact you'd need to have someone look over automated reports of disconnections/drops anyway or this becomes another avenue of griefing for some.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

if i understand correctly AD, it's only for when the opponent actually clicks the 'concede' button in game, not for disconnects.
Strider84

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well luckily we have the box trophy, so you can't just concede and start a new team for that.

that said, I think mostly it would be people who are not familiar with our community and that concessions are not even allowed normally. we should not scare them away with some strange ban but rather try to educate them why it's not a good idea and bring them to the light side Smile

punishment is usually not the best solution to solve problems.
lemf

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn got sucked into counting.
I had to check back couldn't look at all 5K games but counted back 1200 games
11 concessions by my opponents less than 1%.
Don't see a big problem here buddy.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
if i understand correctly AD, it's only for when the opponent actually clicks the 'concede' button in game, not for disconnects.

Balle2000 wrote:
Maybe on Fumbbl if you concede and/or have non-return disconnect 2 or more times within 10 games, you get a temporary disincentive.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't even understand why this is even a question... There are rules in the handbook that clearly state when a concession is valid..if its not valid and you really need to extra punish the person who conceeded, send an admin a pm and they can take further action if warranted. The person who quits loses 1 fan factor gets no gold, no mvp, and any player over 51 sp's has a 50% chance of walking off. I think thats enough punishment. Honestly It doesn't bother me if someone concedes, it saves me time and i get all the money and 2 mvp's.. I don't understand why your complaining about someone who conceeds. I take it as a gift.

RAGE QUITTING IS ANOTHER TOPIC ALLTOGER: when someone disconnects on purpose and doesnt come bac after the manditory 15 minute wait time, follow the disconnect policy in the handbook : contact your opponent, contact admin and follow through- yea it can be annoying but admin will take action and they do keep lists and stuff of multi disconnect rage quit offenders.
 Jump to: