40 coaches online • Server time: 13:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing that is interesting. Is the choice of middeheim marauders as the "good" pact team name, as they were humans, half orcs, chaos human mutants and minotaur back in the day. I assume minotaur will likely be swapped for an ogre positional. Interested to see if treemen are allowed like some of the 2nd ed human teams; shuffling woodsday etc.. I think another name may have been better, heroes of law or champions of law both fit the fluff more, though a number of teams background changed for 2016 edition/relaunch, so guess these are getting a fluff rewrite too.

Edit: never mind just realised these are called middeheim maulers. They kept the white and red of middeheim marauders though. Guess they felt marauders was too chaotic, so tweaked the name to fit the new Old World Alliance fluff.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking at the box, my guess for team composition -

0-16 halfling hopefulls
0-4 human linemen
0-2 dwarf blockers
0-1 human catcher
0-1 human thrower
0-1 human blitzer
0-1 dwarf runner
0-1 dwarf blitzer
0-1 dwarf slayer
0-1 ogre
70k rr
Apo access

Maybe flings and human linemen are the other way round from what I posted

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 11:08
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I think that looks a very strong roster. No Ag4 and little Ag access, but it’s got most bases covered. The front half of a Dwarf team with the movement and balling of Humans!

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I think that looks a very strong roster. No Ag4 and little Ag access, but it’s got most bases covered. The front half of a Dwarf team with the movement and balling of Humans!

Yeah better than humans for sure.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Poor Humans, they should be the most winning race according to the fluff.
Even this new team is better than them! Razz
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting times!
I'm happy to see GW release a new team, and a "good guy pact" is a pretty safe bet.
So I'm optimistic.

But I'm also a little worried.
Dwarves combined with almost anything can be quite powerful.
And in case it is based on sprues (with an ogre on top) then... yikes.

Underworld with a GR would be a very significant boost.
Underworld tweaked to fit a sprue (shudder) would be a nerf - I think.

This has potential.... (to be lovely or horrible)
Cheers
Martin
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Another possibility (keeping in mind a possible new edition is coming) is that roster creation would become more variable.
For example with this spike it could be written with the next edition in mind.

Roster composition could be -

0-16 human linemen
0-1 human thrower and 0-1 catcher or 0-1 dwarf runner and 0-1 slayer
0-2 dwarf blocker or 0-2 human blitzes
0-1 deathroller or 0-1 ogre + 0-4 halfling

Similarly in future you might get undead with 0-2 mummy or 0-2 flesh golem + 0-2 werewolf

Or orcs might get 0-4 blocker + 0-2 runner or 0-2 thrower 0-2 blocker + 0-2 orc catcher

Etc....

Seems a little unlikely but certainly possible, and could potentially lead to more roster customisation and a new direction for the game without upsetting the core mechanics. Just a thought.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 14:04
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

If they're selling a box, and it looks like they are from the wording, then I'd go some small money on:

1 Dwarf Slayer
1 Dwarf Blitzer
1 Dwarf Runner
3 Dwarf Linebeards
1 Human Catcher
1 Human Blitzer
1 Human Thrower
3 Human Linemen
0-16 Flings
1 Ogre

And Plasmoid, always nice to have you here (and kudos on the fan-fic 'Bretonnian Spike', it was great), why not stay and play a game or two? Pretty confidant we'll have that roster available within a few days of knowing its composition.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I really liked about both Pact and Underworld is how the rosters were done. Goblins losing the weapons and a troll and gaining mutations and 0-2 skaven linemen, throwers and Blitzers made for a cool and interesting team. Pact had a lot of players, but they were effectively all linemen or big guys and certainly not overpowered.

I hope this new team is not just going to be based off what you have on the spruce with loads of options and them all being 0-1 and 0-3.
It risks going down the crp Dungeonbowl team rules which were a horrible mess.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Fair points Garion. I take back what I said - although I still think desingers should get credited - and I actually do love the new goblin roster.
Halfabrain

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2020 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking as someone who plays UW a fair bit I definitely wouldn't be in favour of losing a blitzer and gaining a GR. The team are already very much a glass canon and this change would make that even more extreme. Lose any 1 of your 2 key positionals and you're doomed. It would also completely change how they play. Its true that skitter makes them much better but i don't see how you can add 1 or 2 GR rostered positions without upsetting the balance of the team. With 1 SV and 1 GR playing against them would just become an exercise in isolating and then murdering one or both of those players and then the game is over.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2020 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

So I think I slowly learned how to play Underworld and thought a Gutterrunner replacing a Blitzer is bad.. but then I realized I only played better because of the +Movement Roll on one of the Blitzers. Thing is Underworld would certainly become an easier team to play while currently they are certainly one of the weaker tier teams.
Still I really would miss the Troll, but I hope they simply plan to put the Big Guy in a Special Box and that's why he is missing on the GW presentation.

I wonder if the Human Pact team might gain some special rules or skills? Something like they are not allowed to foul. Animosity doesn't fit in a "Good Pact".

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2020 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Troll will 100% be in underworld still.

I would recommend everyone buy the forgeworld troll over the GW one. The GW is the worst model in this edition to assemble and paint. I really hate that thing. I really hope for more troll sculpts

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2020 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a shame as the modern Trolls from Warhammer look really horrible. In a good sense. Potential for a puking mutated Underworld Troll.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2020 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
So I think I slowly learned how to play Underworld and thought a Gutterrunner replacing a Blitzer is bad.. but then I realized I only played better because of the +Movement Roll on one of the Blitzers. Thing is Underworld would certainly become an easier team to play while currently they are certainly one of the weaker tier teams.
Still I really would miss the Troll, but I hope they simply plan to put the Big Guy in a Special Box and that's why he is missing on the GW presentation.

I wonder if the Human Pact team might gain some special rules or skills? Something like they are not allowed to foul. Animosity doesn't fit in a "Good Pact".

I agree they might be easier to play with a GR but you would probably also see a lot more 1 sided losses when 1 or the other of the SV/GR is inevitably removed/isolated or is missing the game. As it is you can lose a SV and still have one left to make stuff happen.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the secret league Tilean team, they are very similar in concept to the "good pact". Personally I think animosity fits the fluff as they are supposed to be a disparate group from accross the good races. It helps to nerf them a bit though maybe without an elf on board it won't be necessary.
 Jump to: