27 coaches online • Server time: 09:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2020 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It will be interesting to see whether they are placed in tier 1 or tier 2 in the next Box Trophy season. Putting them in tier 2 would certainly see them used a lot.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2020 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
It will be interesting to see whether they are placed in tier 1 or tier 2 in the next Box Trophy season. Putting them in tier 2 would certainly see them used a lot.

I don't think I'd take them in tier two. I can think of about 8 (there are 8 other races in tier two right?) I'd rather play as.
Jopotzuki

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2020 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
Verminardo wrote:

I don't think I'd take them in tier two. I can think of about 8 (there are 8 other races in tier two right?) I'd rather play as.

Well everyone aren't a powergamer like you Wink. Many people will propapbly play them for the lulz or the challence or the exciting new thing.

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2020 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Tripleskull wrote:
@Grod, nice explanations that shows clearly why the team is absolutely playable and could easily still be a top tier team. This also highlights how horribly broken the team would have been without loner.

Good grief!
Just because not terrible, doesn't mean broken! You lose all credit with these kind of comments. The loss of speed is big when you factor in loner and rr cost.
Grod spins a good tale, but don't get carried away Very Happy
Give them a spin of course.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2020 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

My latest experience of the new Old World Alliance team:

• Loner isn't too bad for general 2-dice blocking (those double skulls are pretty rare)
  • Loner IS a pain when it comes to trying to go after the ball. A lot of opportunities are wasted (or become very risky) because blitzing the ball carrier would require a GFI, or, painfully, when you hit the ball carrier but roll a push with a loner, it's not automatic that you should reroll and a very good chance of wasting it.
  • Not being able to GFI with the use of a reroll can be pretty limiting.
  • OWA seem to be quite ok against less bashy teams and good at holding a leading score.
  • OWA can be a horrible team to try and play "catch up" with.
  • Probably need to play a really strong defense with sound positioning.
  • Pro on the Dwarves is likely essential.

Oscar Wilde
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2020 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I was considering trying OWA in the Box where I play most of my matches, but I already use Ogres amongst my old teams there, so I will preserve my sanity and use OWA in Ranked.

First match was a win against Undead! And incredibly done with both of my blitzers dieing/retiring in our first ever drive! Both blitzers were named Captain too Very Happy Crazy match to judge by.
The Human blitzer is a massive loss and will mean Halflings line up next match. But somehow this one was a win with the help of two pitch invasions.

As expected loner skill is a real bind. I went for one rr as I knew loner will mess things up with expensive rrs. There were a few actions I didn't do because of having loner, and my Ogre double both down'd in my first turn.

Obviously you should play quite conservatively with them, though I didn't really.

Once the Human blitzer is out the side looks rather slow. Especially if have halflings on (and then quite weak too). Still the team was somewhat entertaining to use. Initially feel a bit worse than normal humans. Perhaps too weak for Trophy tier 2. But at least they are significantly different overall. Take off loners and they could be solid tier 2.

See my report:

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=4212895

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2020 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

You played OWA vs a CR 138, win rate 30%, not very useful test.
Play vs same CR coach if you really want to test OWA.

As an aside, the OWA logo is cool, kudos to the maker!
EnglishJake

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2020 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I forced a concession/team retirement (a first for OWA?) against wood elf, so ... Best. Race. Ever.

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4210272
pedro_fgomes

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2020 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

A 2000 games coach, in ranked, vs a very inexperienced coach with a very bad record... It was hardly the race who was the factor here. Did you at least point him towards the 145 Club, as a nice gesture to a fellow coach that definitely needs all the ?help he can get?

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2020 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
You played OWA vs a CR 138, win rate 30%, not very useful test.
Play vs same CR coach if you really want to test OWA.

Yeah that is true. He just happened to be the guy on gamefinder at the time. Surprising really that he is not shown as rookie. Though did fine.
At least it was using a solid race. And as expected I wasn't that impressed with OWA even in this matchup.

Last edited by garyt1 on Jul 24, 2020 - 21:53; edited 3 times in total
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2020 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

EnglishJake wrote:
I forced a concession/team retirement (a first for OWA?) against wood elf, so ... Best. Race. Ever.

Who says Box is the more rough division for beginners! :O Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2020 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Undead had the edge in that match-up, that's true as well, and please mind, gary1t, I wasn't implying you maliciously picked him, just objectively commenting that match-up and the obvious skill difference between you and your opponent. Smile
Mingoose

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2020 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Having played some games here is what my opinion boils down to. This is a heavy blocking team like Orcs. Once every 36 blocks you average a dub skull. Each game seems to come down to when the dub skull lands. I don't like that feeling. The main complaint of non BB players is that this is a game of luck, which I disagree with. Well, now that I cannot plan against that one unlucky roll by saving a RR, it truly feels like nuffle is running the show.
Chatora

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2020 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure I'm in the vast minority here, but I actually quite enjoy playing this roster. Only played against a handful of the other races and haven't faced any heavy bash opponents yet, but from my experience here's how I would describe OWA.

Strengths:
- Strong assortment of base starting skills
- Multiple potential play styles allows for strategic flexibility
- Not sure if I would say "strong", but seems to do well at 1100 - ??? (guessing 1300 to 1400 range) against similar TV teams
- Ideal for min-max coach style, to the point that it may be essential, rather than optional, in order for this roster to be successful

Weaknesses:
- Expensive RR's
- Highly vulnerable to bad dice (more than other teams)
- Requires extreme risk management
- Needs a few skills on the team before they start to stabilize (mainly guard)
- Would expect this team will struggle beyond mid-level TV
- Will probably never be competitive in major tournament formats barring a significant buff

I like that OWA presents a very unique perspective of BB that the other races just can't offer. The amount of Loner skill on the team prevents you from applying a "traditional" BB mindset to this team and seems to require an alternative coaching process, which can be quite enjoyable or quite frustrating.
Java

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2020 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy playing OWA too, and I think a lot of people are, too, by the look of the box. It's very reliable and I have to say I've been disappointed by loner just once or twice when I was at my wit's end and doing silly moves. Otherwise, solid roster.

It appears that at the moment, OWA are the third best race in the box http://fumbbldata.azurewebsites.net/stats.html

Wether it will go up - because more people will start seeing its appeal, past the initial disapproval of its limitations - or down - because opponents will start to learn how to cope with it - I have no idea. They're just slow humans full of loners and no decent positionals, am I right? Should be easy to counter. Just imagine what the stats would look like if they had no loners.

If anybody wants to eat their hat after some premature negative comments, we can make it into an event and do it collectively. I know I surely was too negative about them early on Razz
 Jump to: