60 coaches online • Server time: 21:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Best Post Apocalyptic flop?
Waterworld
33%
 33%  [ 66 ]
Salute of the Jugger (called The Blood of heroes in some regions)
15%
 15%  [ 31 ]
The Postman
14%
 14%  [ 28 ]
Dredd (not the sly stallone one)
24%
 24%  [ 48 ]
Deathrace 2000
6%
 6%  [ 13 ]
Deathsport
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Cyborg
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 195

mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 09:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It is a little odd. I think of the teams we’ve seen so far Humans look an attractive option! Very Happy

Ps. all of the images are on the r/Bloodbowl Reddit, including the Brawler one which is why I have my doubts about the authenticity of that claim. I think it’s just speculation.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
LemonheadWallenstein

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

why only 0-12 linos? it seems weird to go back
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

We will see a lot more Teams running with 2 Throwers.
Muff2n

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Why is the wood elf thrower 95k? That's a big nerf imo.

Throwers are now a significant upgrade on a lineman. Plus two to passing roll and pass skill included.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
We will see a lot more Teams running with 2 Throwers.

I think we will too. However I am yet to be convinced as to their effectiveness. Everything I am reading so far seems to assume because linemen etc... are all worse at throwing it makes Throwers and throwing better.

However it still reads as a sub optiomal strategy to me, and now you are paying more for throwers. I might just not bother with them at all in some teams. WE being a perfect example. just pick up and run with Catchers or a Wardancer, and don't let go.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 10:17
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I think while throwing was rarely the best option, it was always ‘an’ option when in a pinch and needing a 2 turn score. Now, to even make that option viable teams are going to have to carry a thrower. Undead basically can’t throw at all, except in the most dire of circumstances.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Muff2n

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it's the short drives that you want a thrower for. I think against undead or chaos etc, you might be able to stall a bit less as they have no thrower.
Uedder

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a nerf but a good one
Kondor

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I think while throwing was rarely the best option, it was always ‘an’ option when in a pinch and needing a 2 turn score. Now, to even make that option viable teams are going to have to carry a thrower. Undead basically can’t throw at all, except in the most dire of circumstances.

If the Wasting Time rule packs a significant penalty, people will want to score more often meaning you may have more 2-3 turn scores. It may be far more difficult to stall outside of natural scoring range. Throwers will be much more useful in a higher scoring game.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

We'll have to wait and see what the actual new mechanics are but with the Thrower as classic Quarterback and the mentioning of deflections it seems they are trying to emulate American Football passing plays a lot more. I do agree that it seems questionable from a TV efficiency perspective whether this will be viable. In the old wargamer parlance it looks like a bit of a departure from "game" and a move towards "simulation" which in the context of Blood Bowl doesn't really sound like a great idea, maybe if they were handing out more starting skills to Throwers but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:

If the Wasting Time rule packs a significant penalty, people will want to score more often meaning you may have more 2-3 turn scores. It may be far more difficult to stall outside of natural scoring range. Throwers will be much more useful in a higher scoring game.

Will they? or will everyone just sit 1 GFI away from scoring. Clock management will still be a thing. Thought jumping over prone players makes screening a little tougher for sure.

Verminardo wrote:
We'll have to wait and see what the actual new mechanics are but with the Thrower as classic Quarterback and the mentioning of deflections it seems they are trying to emulate American Football passing plays a lot more. I do agree that it seems questionable from a TV efficiency perspective whether this will be viable. In the old wargamer parlance it looks like a bit of a departure from "game" and a move towards "simulation" which in the context of Blood Bowl doesn't really sound like a great idea, maybe if they were handing out more starting skills to Throwers but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

exactly, and Catchers from what we can tell are still catching on a 3+ unlss you roll a 6 on the pass, which I am guessing will give +1 to the catch. plus throwers cost more.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:

The penalty will have to be worse than the benefit of stalling, and currently the benefit of stalling is pretty high.

I'm not sure a penalty short of losing the score (or at least make that very likely) would stop stalling on a practical level.

After all that's the main thing that stops stalling now.

Last edited by dolphinandrew on Aug 06, 2020 - 12:54; edited 1 time in total
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

If stalling has been nerfed (affecting bash heavy cage teams), then maybe nerfing passing is a necessary balance move?

Oscar Wilde
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Deep stalling and advancing in the last turns of the drive should still work even with the Time Wasting rule.
If reliable passing is not anymore doable with any Elf player but a Thrower, then just run and hand off the ball if you need to move it a lot in a turn.

Which D6 roll is required to catch a Hand Off with a non-Catcher AG 4 player?
If it's still 2+, running the ball should be ok.

As an aside, I don't like the AV with the 2D6 roll required to break it, I have to mentally subtract 1 to know the AV I'm used to.
I liked the old system, while I understand that the PA roll saves to check a table and it's a nice change.
I'm an old timer. Razz

Last edited by MattDakka on Aug 06, 2020 - 13:13; edited 1 time in total
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The only "penalty" in the current game is of course, being sent off immediately.

So, you could score without dice and suffered a turnover ... ball carrier sent off for time wasting at the end of the turn?

That would make it, force them to roll to preserve the stall, and sometimes it'll free the ball up for you.

But hey, wild speculation at this point. Very Happy