67 coaches online • Server time: 22:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2020 - 13:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

DIBBL is the NZ timezone league. As you can imagine there is a lot of crossover in coaches with SWL and two other current leagues in this part of the world. It's amazing what a 2 hour timezone difference can make and there are a few coaches who will choose their league based primarily on this.

Now into the 21st season, the leeg started mid-2015. Seasons are typically 7 weeks long (like SWL), but unlike SWL there are 3 weeks of playoffs after. Pools do full round robins so seasons can vary in length to accommodate numbers.

Key features:
- Standard CRP races plus Khorne, Apes, Bretts.
- No tiered pools
- No seasons rebuy rules
- Teams can build to 1500k before entering the league to give them some sense of a chance against the monsters.
- The league switched from standard to custom rules recently for one main reason. So both Expensive Mistakes and Spiralling Expenses can be implemented. This puts a bit of a ceiling on the monster teams.
- Coaches are not stuck with a single team. Old teams can be brought back but only if they have not played elsewhere (if they have, they must trim back to the 1500k entry).
- Custom teams option has recently been allowed. Based on standard races (and with standard race names), only to give new teams the ability to have custom colour uniforms

DIBBL also runs gimmick side tournaments (Crap Bowl, Big Star). A few ex-SWL teams come to DIBBL, coaches can be sentimental and want to play with their old teams.

What I'd like retained/available for BB20 Leagues:
- Team retention. Weekly leagues take a long period of commitment to build a team. Coaches do get attached to their teams. Some teams have been playing in DIBBL for 5 years. The ability to keep some form of their team, hopefully more than just the team name is important.

- Stars! With big TV gaps comes a need for the variety of stars. Between BB20 release, and an anticipated Stars suplement, there will be a dearth of available stars. Custom rosters can of course pick and choose their stars. League ruleset 6 teams cannot. An option to would be nice, but I can't really see how this could be achieved.

- Fair warning please. Disrupting a league with site rule changes mid-season would be, ummm disruptive.

- We're keeping Slann of course. Who wouldn't?

I'm undecided which path we'll take when site season redraft options are available. The big cuddly monster teams option is a nice point of difference from SWL. Probably some middle ground between frequent rebuys and eternal perpetual.

SWL does it better. DIBBL does it best. Razz
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2020 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, an option to roster star players would be really useful for some leagues, like DIBBL.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2020 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be great to have NAF style skill selection for the initial creation of progression teams.

That would be great for immediate entry to higher TV leagues & tournaments.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2020 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
Oh, an option to roster star players would be really useful for some leagues, like DIBBL.

If we could just copy exisiting positionals from one roster to another this already would make that easier to realise. You then could just copy the wished Star Player from the Star Player Pool into the regular Race-best with reusing the already existing icon.

Some stuff is doable if you know the right Coach with scripting abilities, but would be grand if league admins could do copying themselves. Changing the procedure for uploading images to be able to reuse uploaded ones should also easen admin work on uploaded images, which often are just reused icons from other teams or leagues, or in Tussock's case already existing Star Players..

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2020 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes being able to reuse existing player icons and portraits would be great, without needing to upload them yourself each time.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2020 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

And if we continue adding stuff unrelated to BB2020 itself... some dedicated leagues make use of shraaaag's fumbbl scripts to follow and present detailed player statistics. If this would be possible already within fumbbl including a proper integration into bbcode or a nice html page on the tournament section of a group/league it could help the league admin's work and user comfort a lot and more people would realise the potential. After all it's fun to study statistics of an ongoing long season.

Very glad that it looks like Christer offered/plans to enable League Admins to decide between bb2016 and bb2020 skillsets.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2020 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Admin of CIBBL and SLICC, currently play in these as well as HammerBowl and BB7s (SL and BB2016 variants). Have run various league using custom rulesets during my time on the site and like to think I have a good familiarity with these.

The minimum for leagues to continue is the option to keep using BB2016 rules for everything aside from skills. Christer has already confirmed that this will be the case so this alleviates a lot of the concerns that we had. We've seen screenshots of the features for league admins and this includes setting the rebuy cash, altering the length of seasons. Past experience leads me to believe that Christer will give us a wealth of options to tinker with (most likely more than we realistically need).

Everybody here has raised lots of good points, and obviously I would love to see these implemented, however most of them are not directly related to the shift to BB2020.

Christer has stated on discord the size of the work involved in transferring the site over to BB2020 and has said he can make no guarantees. Assuming he does the majority of the work himself, is it fair to assume we need to prioritise what is actually essential rather than present Santa lists full of non essential changes (no disrespect intended to CandleJack, Flashman, SzAdam and the other dev team members; full disrespect intended to Stowelly).

In my humble opinion, as long as league admins using custom rulesets have the option to continue using the BB2016 rules then we'll mostly be fine.

There will be issues regarding stars in ruleset 6 (presumably these will be deleted) and the big issue will be for teams that don't use custom rulesets (there is nothing stopping them transitioning to a custom ruleset and importing the teams other than lack of awareness as to why they should or lack of knowledge).

PC, what exactly is your remit? Has Christer asked you to find what league admins want/need or to use your custom league knowledge to act as a "league one stop shop". We can wish for things all we like but a lot of these ideas have been around for some times (reusing player icons etc) and it's not that they're not good ideas, it's that only one person can implement the changes and they have a lot on their plate.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2020 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like the options to choose the kick-off table whichever ruleset you are on. So. BB2020 can use the 2016 kick-off table and vv.
And maybe eventually have CRP & LRB4 tables. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2020 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Position: Fan of the league division

Managing: DLE, DLA

Leagues played in: DoA, CDL, DLE2

Wishlist:
- Old style skills progression option.
- Allowing double forfeit, or forfeit tie
- Customizable TW calculation managed through custom ruleset

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2020 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

How many skills can you award for fixed progression? Is it more than 10?

If not. could it be made more than 10? 100?

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2020 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
In my humble opinion, as long as league admins using custom rulesets have the option to continue using the BB2016 rules then we'll mostly be fine.

Current Role: Semi-Active Admin (with veto privilege) of CIBBL

I second JD in this. Leagues will be just fine if the option to continue to run the way they were exists.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be great to have an option for buy-back cash to be set to a team's current value.
This would be overridden by the cap (if set).
Teams would also have to pay agents fees. (if set).

I think that this would cover some of the issues around avoiding a big cut down.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe we could do with an update on what the "current thinking" is now.

e.g.
What {L]eague options might be available at launch and what may come later.

Will we be able to transfer teams to the [L]eague division

Will we be able to leave teams "on hiatus" in case better rules come in the future. (I still have teams that haven't played since LRB4 Wink )

Also, what is the planned go-live date?

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2020 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure how I missed this thread. Great to have PC back on the staff.

I currently run the WIL, I think in my 4th tenure as commissioner in a history going back 15 years or so.

The WIL has always wanted to be playing leagues that might look like one you might play on tabletop, using the current rules and races. It didn't move to the 2016 seasons as they weren't compulsory, and would preserve some of the oldest teams in the league.

I haven't been able to read the new rules in full, but I would have thought that WIL would want to move over to the new teams, skills and rules. But would some current teams be able to be switched over, or would they have to restart?

I also haven't been able to digest the new league rules. I expect we have some coaches who would prefer a seasons-based league with redrafts, and others who prefer the eternal format of building enormous teams. We will discuss as a league when the road ahead looks clearer.

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2020 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I have managed Human League Premiership, helped with DLE, and am the creator/main manager for DLE2.

Our main desire it to continue to be able to do what we are doing, so that our league remains a haven for BB2016 lovers until BB2025, or whatever the next permutation will be, comes out.

We also love our custom icons, with custom team colors. When we have +ST players, we always go in and change the ST3 human icon to a bigger ST4 human icon. This currently requires every roster to have 16 individual positionals, so that we can make, say, Lineman #1 a +ST icon when he skills, without affecting Linemen 2-10. When we take in a new coach, we need to upload the same catcher, lineman, blitzer portrait and icon set over and over. Along these lines..

Much like we can give a specific player individual skills now, (thanks!) it would be cool to be able to give a specific player a modified icon. (When he dies, the new positional player created would go back to using the default icon in the rule-set)

This would allow us human draft league types to go back to creating just the basic positionals when setting up a league/team. (Blitzers, Catchers, Linos, Throwers, Ogre.. as opposed to all 16 players being unique)

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

It would also be neat if we could have someplace to display league standings to our memebers, allowing us to manually assign points earned, TD scored, CAS, etc. Our 'seasons' involve multiple FUMBBL league tournaments, so there is currently no easy way within FUMBBL to display complex league standings generated by several tournies. We currently use custom EXCEL files to make pictures, and DISCORD for display, or have to wait for FUMBBL image approval to have it update as a photo in a NOTES page.

Those are just 2 silly ideas we currently do happily in the background. Best of Luck for the 2020 release.

Jump to: