68 coaches online • Server time: 23:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Will bb2020 changes make you retire from fumbbl?
Never, fumbbl 4eva!
76%
 76%  [ 338 ]
Completely retire
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
Retire except still do league
7%
 7%  [ 32 ]
Retire except still do some tournaments
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Undecided
13%
 13%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 443

Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

@Craftnburn you seem determined to have people agree with you and not play Blood Bowl again after the change over.

No one wants to see people leave, but you've made your mind up. You don't want to shift your opinion in the slightest. So toodle oo to you.

I hope you find another game you like to play.

Thankfully the vast majority don't agree with you and will stick around.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Wozzaa wrote:
@Craftnburn you seem determined to have people agree with you and not play Blood Bowl again after the change over.

No, you should go back and read my posts.. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to play.. I simply explained why I probably wont...and then some people tried to convince me that I was wrong and that the rules aren't a reason to retire (first it was "just play differently to adapt to the rules" and then "well yeah some of the rules suck but you shouldn't use those rules so it shouldn't matter that they suck").

Well, obviously it looks like most people will continue in the hopes that the rules either a) aren't as bad as they appear, or b) they'll get 'fixed' eventually. I hope that either A or B happen, but I'm not optimistic. Either way I'm not trying to convince anyone to stop playing... play if these rules are fine for you, but when I say they're not fine for me, I'm not wrong.
Captain_Crumpet

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

From what I'm seeing on the forums a lot of the long time coaches are more looking forward to change rather than looking forward to the new rules themselves, the new rules may make things more 'consistent' and 'balanced' but I'm not sure how much I like that when its at the expense of fluff and character building. At the end of the day I'm personally not playing blood bowl for it's competitive and balanced gameplay, if I wanted that I would play chess.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

i have been playing a couple of table top games on my own (yes, such a nerd) and I think 99% of the rules are the same.

I used the multi RR thing once to secure a TD (as an Ogre coach, so yes, when Ogres can score you have to get there) but the multi RR didnt come into it much because the teams I built (1M Dwarf, Ogre, Chaos and Pro Elf) could only afford 2 RR's when you maximise Dedicated Fans and buy positionals. So I dont think the multi RR issue is a huge game changer as the downside is having long periods of play without a RR.

As for the Elves and passing... yes, the thrower is crucial and on defence I always made sure he was around the play in case of a drop ball. He threw one pass on offence and it was innacurate but had no opportunity to use deflection etc.

I also never even saw an opportunity for a Jump play... but I will concede it wasn't front of mind.

I liked the Pre Match set up... the Ogres got some inducement money (Riotous Rookies and Prayers) and i liked the new blitz and quick snap rules on the KO table. Also got some a random Prayer for the Elves on a Cheering Fans KO result. The prayers themselves didnt have a big impact (double spp for passes and casualties)

Post match, the random MVP meant some linemen got skills and i randomly skilled up 2 elf linemen (Catch and Leap) and a Gnoblar (Jump Up)... Got 6spp on one player as an Ogre got 3 casualties and he took Brawler by choice.

Overall, enjoyed the games to date and the testing of the rules incl the pre and post match sequence.

For the record Ogres vs Elves 1-1 and Chaos vs Dwarves 1-0 with the latter game being very dour and defensive and not many spp.
neubau

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Wozzaa wrote:

i think you're reading craft wrong there. most coaches will play on, but many coaches have the same issues with the new rules. i hear the sentiment of "it'll get fixed in the next update in two years" quite often. thats not exactly excitement for the new rules. if it wasnt for L id be in the same boat as craft btw.

ClayInfinity wrote:
i have been playing a couple of table top games on my own (yes, such a nerd) and I think 99% of the rules are the same.

did you have a wildly inaccurate yet?

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Despite the grumbling from a handful of coaches, the poll says it all - just 1% of players planning to retire. Thats a strong endorsement of the new rules and changes to the site coming!

Well, i would rather argue that (at least for me) I have invested so much time, care, and love on this game that I will keep playing even if I have a bad feeling about some of the features of the new ruleset. Furthermore, the presence of stuff like CIBBL, SL and other cool leagues indeed helps.

Overall, I am curious to play games with the ruleset to see how the game will play in practice with the new stuff, hoping that the pros will beat the cons.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 13:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I resent, and mourn for, every coah we lose, and will lose, for any reason. I joy at every returning or new coach. I want BB to be a huge world dominating hobby. I also want world peace and to test that 'Money wont change me'. Pretty sure none of them will happen.

So I hope craftburn at least tries the new rules, and i hope he finds joy in them.

He has a point, almost everyone sees some possible issues with the new rules. I don't think anyone is overjoyed at every change and thinks its a universal move forward. there IS a lot of 'tolerating' and 'wait and see' and 'try it and see' going on. I am not sure that's unexpected, but it is what it is, and people that have played it assure me it's still Blood Bowl, especially on the board. Between games has changed a LOT, but in game less so.

So craftburn (as a personification of all the worried people) i ask you simply to give it a try. Will there be new 100 page threads about how broken 'X' is? Yes. Will there be 20 page threads about how utterly useless 'Y' is? Yes.

But new challenges also await, new opportunities.

One of my favorite quotes is:
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. – Richard Bach

I think this applies equally to the new ruleset as it does to humans.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

neubau wrote:

ClayInfinity wrote:

did you have a wildly inaccurate yet?

No... only did 1 pass in my two games, an Elf Thrower throwing a Long Pass to a catcher and rolled a 2, pass skill RR, 2.

To me, that was inaccurate as the Thrower has a PA of 2+, rolled a 2 and -2 for range equals zero.

My reading of Wildly Inaccurate is that the roll needs to equal to 1 after modifiers and hence given it was Zero, it was regularly inaccurate.

If I rolled a 3 (which would give 1 after the -2 range adjustment) then despite the higher number on the die, a worse result.

Did I do that correctly?!
Willownen

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2021 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

You did if you went by the rulebook. But in the FAQ it was corrected to mean modified 1 or less.

I have passed once in BB2020, and that was a WI. But I've seen many other Passes, that have all been successful.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2021 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
As an aside, CRP was not a very fun ruleset, unless you liked Cpomb and minmaxing.
I played it just because it was BB, but it was not what I wanted from the game.

No it wasn't.
I left mainly because my life/career was taking off.
But if CRP was more fun I probably would have found a way to play some.

Thinking about a come back. At least some.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2021 - 04:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
Although I voted 'Retire except still do league', I'm not sure I'll actually still even do that. The 'Seasons' BS can largely be mitigated in League, but the horrible crippling of passing will certainly make my favored teams (HE/EU/Slann) nearly unplayable. Sad

What is up with the Rules Committee always trying to Nerf Passing?
It has NEVER been that great to begin with and it seems as if they always find some way to make it WORSE.

You would think they would at least want it to be a good approach to the game for Elves and Humans just for the VARIETY if for nothing else.

FOOTBALL needs the DEEP BALL OPTION.
Tesifonte

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2021 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
We will lose some coaches.
Some coaches will return,a nd already are doing so.
I really hope some brand new people will try Blood Bowl

How that will all add up, i don't know. But i have hope.
And if it all turns out to be just awful, then i hope the message will reach GW and they will enjoy making some new money with BB2022

Amen.

TaChIkOmA! \o/
MarckusOfCamlan

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2021 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

The simple way to solve this issue is to let some leagues with the new rules and some others with the old ones.

Instead, by default, ranked and BlackBox, we could have Ranked OR (for old rules), Ranked NR (for new rules), Blackbox OR, and Blackbox NR. We could even officialize the "secret leagues".
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2021 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

MarckusOfCamlan wrote:
The simple way to solve this issue is to let some leagues with the new rules and some others with the old ones.

Instead, by default, ranked and BlackBox, we could have Ranked OR (for old rules), Ranked NR (for new rules), Blackbox OR, and Blackbox NR. We could even officialize the "secret leagues".

That is not going to happen because the user base is too small. Ranked and Box will be merged.

Our best hope is that the team is able to keep the old rules available in the League division for custom leagues. I believe that is the plan.

I also believe that standard league will not have seasons.

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2021 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

That is not going to happen because the user base is too small.

I also believe that standard league will not have seasons.

I think it is a very real possibility that 90% of future play moves into private leagues using the old rules. Preventing an "old rules" division with gamefinder is only delaying the inevitable.

When you say "standard league" do you mean the new open (vs strict)? Otherwise I thought that it was already established seasons would be 15 games with a 1350 TV redraft.
 Jump to: