41 coaches online • Server time: 12:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Bullcentaur or minotaur
Bullcentaur
83%
 83%  [ 55 ]
Minotaur
16%
 16%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 66

Milman

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking to try a chorf team for league for the first time.
Can’t make my mind up between 2 rosters.

-4hobgobs
-5 chorfs
-1 bull
-2 rr’s

Do i take the second bull or do i take the mino?
Our league is kinda short (10 games max).
Mino being 100% sure to go blitz something is awesome (even if it costs a hobgob…)
Any suggestions what to best take and why?
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Bulls can Blitz without having to kill a Hobgoblin. Have easy access to Block and make a better all round team.

New rules help the Mi o but not sure that is enough.

Lyracian.
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I would take the Bull for faster and more controllable movement.

A Mino is such a liability; especially when it gets knocked down. AV8 it is more easily injured than AV9, and is a higher cost piece therefore even more of a Foul magnet.

Once your Mino is down he can't stand up reliably. Sure you can use your Blitz - but with only MV5 you are unlikely to be able to use that Blitz optimally off the floor.

Table Top you might want to take a Mino if you have cool model you'll enjoy roaring about the pitch scaring rookie coaches!

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Second Bull Centaur. A Mino is too expensive and unreliable.
Drawbacks: no G access (bad with Frenzy), no M access, Loner, Animal Savagery, AV 8.
Bellenrode

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2021 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Lyracian wrote:
Bulls can Blitz without having to kill a Hobgoblin. Have easy access to Block and make a better all round team.

Not that I disagree with your advice overall, but you don't have to give it a Hobgoblin. You can give it a Chaos Dwarf Blocker - better Armor Value (10+) and Thick Skull means it will be harder for your Minotaur to KO/injure your player.
dorathylai

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2021 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice one.
Beomer

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2021 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally like the Mino... Frenzy, Horns and easy access to Juggernaut if it is not block.
But I would still not take it before the second bull.
Chorf-Teams - in my opinion - rise and fall with their bull-centaurs. The Mino can be a really nice assett, but it is not nearly as essential as the bull.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2021 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Short term league with 2020 rules -> Mino

St5 Horns Frenzy MB gives so much edge against the other teams and you will have a hard time skilling up two bulls properly at the start. So the Mino adds more punch in the first games.

Get the second bull ASAP and you are set. Try to have a rookie dorf babysitting the Mino and it should not be too much of an issue getting him where you need him.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2021 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Bull, because he can move without blitzing Wink
mekutata

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2021 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

also bulls can be great ballcarriers (hard to get knocked down, fast)

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2021 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Bull every time. They are the stars of the team.
Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Bull centaurs for sure. Minotaurs are questionable even once the team is well developed and you have cash to spend.

Oscar Wilde
Rigolgm

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2021 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The dynamic of bulls and minos has really changed in the 2020 rules. The way that Break Tackle bulls can now only dodge on 3+ not 2+ makes them far less likely to routinely reposition and could be a drain on team rerolls, and slightly reduces their value as ballcarriers.

It could also mean that the mino become more viable because there should be more times when giving a blitz to tjhe mino makes more sense than giving it to a bull.

Having said that, a full chaos dwarf roster will only leave a mino with 2 hobgoblins on the pitch to hit with its Animal Savagery - and those two hobgoblins will have a lot of duties, so not always be next to the mino (and the mino, with its frenzy and horns, often won't stay near them). After that, the mino might start hitting your more valuable players. For that reason, I'd also never give it Claw.

There are so many other things to consider too. Minos were always foul targets because they die faster to fouls than a basic orc lineman. And in the new 2020 rules, fouls are encouraged by the buffing of Sneaky Git and Guard etc.

So it's all a bit up in the air, really. Loads of different small shifts in the choas dwarf dynamic. But my overall sense is that a minotaur has more worth than it used to, but is still not something you'd want to include in your 1000k TV starting roster.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2021 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

All 6 Chorfs... that is the core of the team.
1 less Hobo on the field.
1 more player with Block on the Field (best core skill).

Any decent Coach will tie down your Rookie Bull with some Expendable Lino making him Irrelevant.

Who do you play 1st?
Weak AV? Take the Mino. Put him on a Mission that doesn't involve winning the game.
Give him a Partner and send him out to KILL. The other 9 focus on winning the game.
Get that 1st CAS and later a SKILL. After he CAS's or Surf's 1 send him after the next.
If the opponent tries to chase the Mino... Great.
It will take 4 to 5 players to take on those 2 effectively.
The other 9 players will win the game easy then playing 9 vs 6 or 7.

High AV? Take the Bull. Play as a Team. Play boring basic Blood Bowl.
Win with your AV and 6 Block skilled players... not 5 Chorfs.

Block spam wins games against Block-less opponents.
As long as you are not facing Dorf or Norse my advice stands.
Orc and Human could be tough if they bring all 4 Blitzers but 6 v 4 is better than 5 v 4.
Rigolgm

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2021 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I play as Chaos Dwarfs. In the 2016 rules I avoided getting the Minotaur because blitz was alwasy being used on the Bull Centaurs (the Bull Centaurs would get Block and Break Tackle and become like long range guided missiles!) Also because mutations were hard to get on the Minotaur (I'd really want Tentacles).

But in the 2020 rules Break Tackle isn't good enough to get Bull Centaurs a 2+ dodge, whereas it will get a Minotaur one. I think that MIGHT tilt it towards Minotaurs being worthwhile again.

Some players will say avoid the Minotaur because its nega-trait is now worse. But honestly, if he attacks a Hobgoblin they are cheap and if he attacks a chaos dwarf Blocker they are AV10+ with Thick Skull.
 Jump to: