33 coaches online • Server time: 09:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2021 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Razmus, now you have my hopes up. I will be VERY happy if there is a SL random game scheduler. I would happily drag my 2000 TV team down to 1600-1700 in exchange for a reliable system to get games. In my Never humble opinion, it would be great to have truly random games and see some of the inducement and stars used regularly.

I am doing a bit of a happy dance over here.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2021 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Was Garion the one who was going to be building the scheduler? I might have said I'd "think about it", but I won't be doing anything any time soon. I wouldn't dance until Christer says that there will be a scheduler.

Christer already has a list and league scheduler isn't on it.

I wonder how far you are going back for this discussion. Scheduler only sounds very Dakkaesque when even [C] isn't going to be scheduler only.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2021 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The conversation was a year ago. (Koadah, I sent you a link in Discord.) I'd write a scheduler myself, if there was an API call to schedule a match between teams. Smile Lacking that, it doesn't seem practical.

My perception was that Garion was already talking to Christer (again: a year ago). I wouldn't even suggest bringing it up at this point, until the current todo list were cleared.

But I also would want to put the SL20 open environment in a place were it is ready for some form of random scheduler... even if that's a year further out.

Last edited by razmus on Oct 13, 2021 - 15:56; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2021 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll believe it when I see it.

I think Dakka had hacked his account. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2021 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Agents fees should really be per skill added NOT per season played IMO. That would be a great option I think. That is a bit like LRB4.

That was the way I was hoping it would work too.

You could set a baseline fee of 20k or even 25k and then have a cumulative fee of 0k to represent that.

Overall a 1600k cap means, after agency fees, we should see teams around 1450 which looks a reasonable place to redraft. I could certainly see joining in with these settings.

It does look incredibly easy to get 1600 redraft. Not that I see that being a problem. If you lose all 15 games you are still at 1450 + Treasury. It probably means there is more option for people to spend cash on inducements.

razmus wrote:

In short, I believe seasons will make both the league AND open play healthier, and encourage additional gameplay at all TV levels.

I agree with Razmus; a lower TV is likely to encourage more people to play.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2021 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Lyracian wrote:
I agree with Razmus; a lower TV is likely to encourage more people to play.

I'm not sure why. Unless you are talking about the scheduler that may never happen.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2021 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

@Lyracian and Razmus

Again I ask. If there is no scheduler, why shouldn't it be set up so that you can choose to start a season with as high as 2000 TV?

The only answer I hear is that some coaches do not like playing games that high.

But it is illogical because if coaches don't want to play games at that high TV, they just do not accept a game offer. If you want to play at a lower TV choose to end your season early and redraft to a point where you like playing.

Why the fixation on forcing people to conform to lower TV matches? I get it in a division with a scheduler. I also get it in the Competitive division where the commissioner is planning to add a scheduler. However, if you are using game finder no one is pushing you to a higher TV that is outside your comfort zone.

Seriously, if it turns out that the TV difference between SL and C is a couple hundred TV but C has a black box scheduler, I won't bother with SL. I'll go to C where I don't have to mess around with Game Finder.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2021 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Though, if you want to start a season as high as 2000, why even have seasons?

Coaches fees?

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2021 - 08:08 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Though, if you want to start a season as high as 2000, why even have seasons?

Coaches fees?

I've made no secret that I think seasons are a bad idea in open play. They exist only to level the playing field. In open play you choose your matchups so that aspect does not matter.

The only positive to seasons in open play is that it gives you the opportunity to redraft without starting a team from scratch. That way if your TV exceeds a point that you are no longer able to find games you can choose to end the season and restructure your team.

Agent fees are just a way to further push down the TV of a league so in open play they are also useless.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2021 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

15 game seasons are fine ..it will help to add diversity to the league
This will also translate well into the tournies, where coaches are going to have to win it with skill instead of some team spam'd killstack (zzzzzzzzz)

There are only really a handful of teams that take a little bit longer to function without a lot of headache but the League could also add salary cap bonuses (or some kind of point system) as prizes for winning what could be the new 'Majors' scene

koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2021 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I think that Garion originally suggested no cap.

I think everyone should have the same cap though. I'm not a fan of giving advantages to teams that have already proved themselves the best.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2021 - 15:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

What is the reason behind SL having seasons? Is it to limit TV and level the playing field, or just to try and stay as close as possible to the official rules?

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2021 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
What is the reason behind SL having seasons? Is it to limit TV and level the playing field, or just to try and stay as close as possible to the official rules?

Good question. I am totally on board with not having seasons.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2021 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:

Yes and Yes... and to keep SL2020 Open reasonably close to playing in the standard FUMBBL environment, but with a much wider range of rosters. (And because the BB2020 mechanisms of random skills and the power of picking secondary and stats need some form of balancing, which seasons do something towards providing.)

Folks who don't want to play secret league open with seasons will have the option of continuing to play SL2016 without seasons.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2021 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

razmus wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:

Yes and Yes... and to keep SL2020 Open reasonably close to playing in the standard FUMBBL environment, but with a much wider range of rosters. (And because the BB2020 mechanisms of random skills and the power of picking secondary and stats need some form of balancing, which seasons do something towards providing.)

Folks who don't want to play secret league open with seasons will have the option of continuing to play SL2016 without seasons.

The player base is not large enough to support both SL2016 and SL2020. Sooner rather than later only SL2020 will exist.

Again. As long as there is no scheduler there is no need to level the playing field at a lower TV. If you don't want to play at a high TV you don't accept a match that has been offered.

The only reason I see to consider limiting the division through seasons is for tournament reasons. But this could be done just as easily by capping the TV to enter a tournament.
 Jump to: