24 coaches online • Server time: 02:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2021 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Christer wrote:
The thing with match making Blood Bowl is that people don't want to play games that have mismatching TV. It doesn't matter if you say "you've played the same number of games" or not. If someone gets paired against an opponent that's 100TV up, they get upset and feel the match is unfair.

I've tried alternative ways to schedule matches in the past and it causes huge issues in the perception of people, and essentially kills the format. TV-based scheduling is the only thing that works on a large scale.

TV is far far from being a good indicator, but it's what people know.

This is probably very true, but do you think things might change with the new ruleset? After all it is undeniable that bb2020 put a lot of effort in the inducements, in terms of quality, quantity and diversity.

I know inducements do not (or do not always) cover the differences in TV and they are situational at best, but with such a rich selection, wouldn't it be possible that larger than average TV gaps might have become a little more appealing/acceptable now?

More or less what I am thinking too.

I want to be able to play games with lots of inducements for either team. It is an aspect we do not often get here on FUMBBL.
But I have always wanted this. I don't know why BB2020 makes it better or worse really. But I still want it.

But I also understand WHY we don't have an environment for that here and understand that I can't always get what I want.
But if somebody figures out a way to do it. I am for it.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2021 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

This site goes to great lengths to implement Blood Bowl as close to the actual rules as possible. It even is implementing seasons in a fairly strict manner.

However, it is also fixated on TV matching which thwarts the use of inducements. In a division like ranked, that does not matter, but least in the Competitive division with auto match making, I would think that a random match maker makes sense. It would utilize the inducement rule to a much greater extent. This in conjunction with seasons will already reduce the number of games with a large TV difference.

Isn't match making based on TV a huge house rule?
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2021 - 11:09
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
in the Competitive division with auto match making, I would think that a random match maker makes sense.

You might think so, but the fact is that even with the box scheduler doing as much as possible to keep TV gaps low, there are still occasional games with a larger gap. These matches generate a fairly large amount of complaints about how unfair the system is, and that people never had a chance and will stop playing box.

It doesn't matter that TV gaps don't really make that much of a difference. It doesn't matter if inducements offset the TV gap to a large extent. It doesn't matter that people on this forum say they want truly random match-making or basing it on number of games played.

The fact is that moving away from TV based scheduling causes a LOT of complaints, and people truly get unhappy being scheduled against a significantly higher TV opponent. It's a huge "Negative Play Experience", and discourages participation, even if the reality of it is that the TV difference doesn't have a huge real effect on the outcome of the game. The perception of equal TV = fair is very very strong with the community at large, and moving away from it is hugely detrimental.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2021 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

what if the active community changes their perception? How else than in forum or discord to voice these concerns?

After all, TV 1200k between a team with a couple of games will look different than from a team that could priotize on building over a over a longer period of time.

Also i am bit sad atm that I can't challenge teams with the same amount of games in C"ranked" due TV. At least in that context of voluntary matchups i'd like to be freed by antique TVchains.

The new bb20 meta could surely do well with a new approach. But the house ruled box based on tv will also work (for some races), but higher team variation will be again depending on ongoing box trophy runs and not really supported by the achedule logic.

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2021 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Are there still TV restrictions in ranked/C? Box I understand. Ranked, less so.

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2021 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Are there still TV restrictions in ranked/C? Box I understand. Ranked, less so.

I have seen situations where I could challenge a team with some of my teams, but not with the one having same amount of matches (lower TV due suffering some CAS injuries, in other cases low TV due being stunty greenskins).
I think that limitation makes in this "Ranked" setting not much sense. Rookie protection maybe, but if we let developed 1000KTV teams challenge underdeveloped 1000K TV teams it's not really doing much protection anyway.
While I don't want to enforce on others to play "my optimal" random matchmaking based on matches, I'd like to be able to do so with all my teams. After all a challenge needs to be accepted thee anyway Smile