19 coaches online • Server time: 07:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Miceycraft

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2022 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone.

Been away from the game for a while. If anyone ever remembers playing against me I played a bunch of goblins/halflings (pirates of bogwash) in black box a few years back (not particularly well haha).

Due lots of real life reasons I didn't have time and my PC has now gone derelict.

I'm finally at the point of buying a new PC/laptop/tablet and wondered about what sort of hardware/software can run the fumbbl client.

Obviously this isn't a high spec client so most laptops are fine.

However I wondered about tablets. Does anyone have any experience playing on Samsung/Amazon/apple tablets? Does it work? Would mean I could play on long journeys on the go etc.

I noticed forum posts about a HTML client. Does this exist yet?
HimalayaP1C7

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2022 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there, you'll need something that can run Java. That means you're looking at a Windows (or Linux) PC, or a Mac.
Medon

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2022 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

MS Surface tablets work as well
badger89

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2022 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Think the HTML client on the back burner due to BB2020

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2022 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe the HTML client is no longer being developed. From what I’ve heard, the new, new client is being built using Unity, but it’s an enormous project. No idea whether they plan to support iOS and Android with that though.
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2022 - 13:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

To be clear: The FFB Client does not run on iOS or Android.

If you're looking for a laptop capable of running the FFB Client, mostly anything will do (although not a Chromebook). To avoid some headaches and annoyances, I would suggest looking for a laptop with a display resolution of at least 1920x1080. 1366x768 (which is a common resolution for inexpensive laptops) does work, but it's borderline and can cause some frustration.

The HTML5 client mentioned above was a technology test that proved to have enough issues to not be worth pursuing and was practically sunset.

The current planed "next-gen" client will be written in Unity (a fairly well-known game engine), which inherently allows building for mobile devices. We have made some initial test builds for Android, but it is absolutely not a primary target. There are a lot of things needed to make it usable on a mobile device and it's simply not a priority for us at this point. Also, this is not anywhere close to being ready and is low-priority because of BB2020 rules being moved to the forefront.

The intent is to have it working on Windows, Linux and MacOS. Anything beyond that is experimental at best.
Meradanis

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2022 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm looking forward to play FUMBBL on the Steam Deck. 1280x800 resolution might be a problem, though.
Shakall

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2022 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey mate,

I can't help you with that but i do remember the pirates of bogwash! wellcome back mate Smile
jdm

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2022 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirates of Bogwash are my favourite team

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2022 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies everyone. I look forward to playing again too. Always a please JD/Shakall.

Special thanks Christer for the detailed reply. I will look at a cheap laptop with that resolution.
truckerpunk

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2022 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

This MIGHT be a feasible solution, if you want an android tablet;

- Install "Debian noroot" on the device from the Goolge play store.
- Install java.
- run the FFB client.

I have not tried this, as I don't own a tablet.

Good luck.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2022 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

if you only need to play on FUMBBL, I'm doing great with a savaged Dell, Intel Centrino 2.4Mhz, AMD Caicos, 4GB RAM running Bunsenlabs Linux. I've been able to play and listen to youtube at the same time.
Drawing fractals on the second desktop plus all the above slowed it a wee bit.

Carthage

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2022 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The samsung hybrid tablet/laptop ones work well. If you want to do anything more than fumbbl and email on it, I wouldnt get a surface... The one I got from my wife for christmas can't even run most mobile games. But if that's all you want it for, they're cheap and they do those functions well.
 Jump to: