59 coaches online • Server time: 19:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2022 - 10:33
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Hot on the heels on the Picon Expansion Project (if those heels are 3 years old), comes a new project.

One of the more common complaints of newcomers to FUMBBL is "why is the window so small, can you scale it up?"

The current graphics fit very nicely on my cheap 1366x768 laptop screen, but a lot more people run 1920x1080. And streaming works better on this higher resolution.

So the next project is to scale things up.

Other features in the end goal of this project include:
- customization of players
- ability to recolour (home, away, hair, skin...).
- mutations!

Here is what me and tussock have put together so far (mostly tussock):

Current: 30x30 pixel squares

New: 45x45 pixel squares

As for customisation options. If a lowly goat has options for:
8 horns varieties
2 head options
2 left shoulder pads
2 right shoulder pads
3 left arms
4 right arms
2 torsos
4 fur colours
3 skin colours
then that's 18,432 different goat combinations available, before we even consider the rainbow of Home colour options.

It would be great to get more people involved in this project. If you have an urge to contribute your artistic talents, please pop into discord:
https://discord.gg/vymA22r
Kinks

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2022 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome can't wait. Sadly my pixel is not up to par.

Has fundraising to commission someone like Devian be considered? https://immortalnights.com/order-a-custom-token/

Not sure if he'd offer an affordable price for a job lot. Perhaps even if we just got a base set (i.e. one of each positional) it would be easier create varieties using them as templates?

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2022 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Isnt there an AI tool or something to scale up things? I am thinking about Irfanview or another batch resizer. If you could find one that does a good job with crisp end-results, it could convert all the original icons in a very reasonable time.

But again, I don't know what I'm saying. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2022 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The larger icon sample pic looks fantastic.
Medon

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2022 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow this 45x45 icons are a true joy to behold. Amazing work!
Stimme

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2022 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Exciting!
Jopotzuki

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2022 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man that bigger one looks Goood! No more elves with moustaches!

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2022 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

This is very interesting............but how does it work?

So the client we use has 30x30 pixel squares (This is to say for every blood bowl pitch squares we have 30 small squares of art). This means when we do/did art for the client we are limited in the amount of detail we can produce.

However, when you scale up the client, it's still 30x30 squares. So without massive coding changes to the client (I say massive from what Christer has suggested in the past) how can you produce 45x45 squares?

A year or so ago Christer said he wouldn't want to go down the route of increasing the size of the client as it's still old hat. He preferred to go down the svg/vector image route. As pixel art will date quickly.

The difference between the 2 (for those that don't know) is that vector images are used for modern type games (like on your phone) where you can instantly make the screen bigger or smaller and where the same sprite/icon is used at 2 different sizes (like race logos here).

Recently I've been ripping icons/sprites from a mobile game to convert to the old 60x60 pixel client we used. And........A few years ago 60x60 would have been fine, but modern sprites are now way above 60x60. Above 120x120 even. So I think that 45x45 would yes be a massive improvement. However, with the improvements to screens and the size of modern sprite/icon detail would be a very temporary stop gap.

Anyway, I think it's fantastic how well whatball's work stands up at 45x45. It just shows the great detail he managed to obtain. Also, I think at 45x45 you can get a lot more highlighting and shading.

Oh and I think this is a good opportunity to go with semi transparent player shadows. The bigger the player the more unrealistic the black shadows look.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2022 - 00:41
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Christer is definitely better placed to comment on the client side of this. Yes a new client would be needed, but it would be good to have the graphics ready for when this happens. And for Christer to be confident that the graphics ask will be answered.

If you pop into the discord channel and scroll way up to mid to late January you will see a lot of Christer's thoughts on this topic.

I believe the 3 main drivers are:
- fitting better with the more common screen resolutions
- being a better fit for streaming
- ability for coaches to easily customise the graphics for their own players.

Vector graphics may well be the better option, but we don't have enough volunteers with enough ability to achieve this. tussock estimates we're about 8-10% of the way there already (most of it him alone). His system of conversion is very good to smash through this. I tend to get distracted with wanting to drift into expansion mode (more armour, more horns, mutations!). I'm confident we'll have a decent set by the end of the year.

There are limitations though. For customisable colours (Home, fur, skin...) we are limited to 4 shades each. Some of the amazing detail achieved with clever use of colours (e.g. the smudging described at the end of the expansion thread) at the smaller scale will be sacrificed in the conversion.

The intention is for the old icon set to still be supported. We can't wait for secret league.

I haven't even mentioned the fun Christer has had with animating these new icons
tussock

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2022 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Current rough plan for implementation (and it's a long ways off even a complete icon set yet) is roughly ...

--

There is a complete super-size pitch set looks good when auto-scaled down to any 30px or 45px (or 60px or 90px as need be) scale size. This was Garion's work for the fully scalable concept, just re-purposed here.

The current icons can work fine at 30px or 60px or 90px squares, but most current monitors want somewhere in the range of 45px. 1920x1080 is very common, for instance, where 30px is too small and 60px too large.

So, a 45px icon set (and everything else, but the rest isn't too hard) can move the current client, with no small effort, to being playable without scaling on most screens.

But in general, something like

x768 will be the current 30px icons.
x1050+ will be the 45px scale.
x1440+ will be 2x the 30px icons.
and 4K will be 2x the 45px icons.

And whatever happens in future, 3x 4x 5x etc all look fine as blocky pixel art, it's just 1.5x that looks messy right now when you scale the client, text in particular can be hard to read, but icons are often quite badly distorted.

--

So, essentially, this approximately mirrors the current icons, in a way that future-proofs the work for using the same assets for expansive goals in future clients (and website stuff for customising your player icons), but also in a way that the current client should be able to support native a scale that works for the most common current displays.

It'll take us a good while to complete this set, and there's quite a lot more work for Christer and others under the hood assuming we get finished, but proof of concept stuff shows us the current work is useful, and so we're piling into getting the set done.

10% of variants and 7.5% of icons done so far, and that gives us a start on many more where it's often just minor updates. Arms and legs for most S3 players can be copied from what's done already, essentially, but I find myself tinkering as I go.

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2022 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome stuff! Very Happy
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2022 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Seen https://www.vectorizer.io ?

Input:

Output, scaled up 200%, converted to SVG (but saved as a PNG because I didn't pay to download the SVG):

Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2022 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Also can just rescale the existing pixel art with online tools:

https://lospec.com/pixel-art-scaler/

Input 100%:

Output at 200%:

Output at 300%:
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2022 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

This one seems pretty good, looks like it's converting to vectors first:
https://www.maxlaumeister.com/pixel-art-upscaler/

mekutata

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2022 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

But they look horrible with that auto resize.
It's not like there were no long debates about what is doable or not and what is needed technically.
(Eventhough I admit the pixelscaler in your 2nd post doesn't do a terrible job, but resizing pixel art in an even multiplier is not the issue).
But tussock is anyway nearly as fast as those apps.

Last edited by mekutata on %b %04, %2022 - %15:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: