34 coaches online • Server time: 15:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gonzip

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all fumbblers

I am pretty new into BB, but I'm liking the game a lot. I am going to start a new league (also of new/ish players) of around 14-16 matches + playoffs in my local store.

I am going to be playing Humans, as I liked their general concept and having to play different styles throughout the league vs different teams will make me learn the game.

My main concern is the starting lineup, if having an Ogre is worth it or not.
I have played with and without Ogre a bit, and while I see the benefits I have also experienced the downsides.

The main opininons I've read are that either is not worth at all (due to high cost and unreliability) or that it's only worth in the beginning of leagues and then as soon as TV starts going up, you end up retiring it and never replacing it, so you have more leeway with your TV and get better inducements.

What are your opinions?

Thanks for reading
Very Happy
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably take him, but - don't rely on him too much
You probably should be trying to solve most problems with your blitzers

Ogre is good at just sitting in the middle and being a passive problem for your opponent
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont usually start with ogre, but its either first on my list to get or I dont get him at all.

Depends a lot on the league you play if you need more str or is guard on blitzers enough.

He can be semi reliable after you get block on him.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello and welcome to FUMBBL!
Do you know the other races playing in your league? I played Humans with and without Ogre. Probably you can do fine with or without him. As MerryZ said, if you hire him you should get Block, Pro and Guard on him, ideally. By the way, if you take the Ogre, you should buy a Halfling as well for 1TTD attempts.
With multiple rrs the success chance is higher than in the old rules.
That said, if I should start a Human team in a league, I guess I would not take the Ogre at team creation. I would consider hiring him later.
Joost

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Ogres are good for starting players, if you can resist the temptation to do too much with him. Such as Blitzing. But as Spookeh points out, used passively in the center field they will force some decisions on your opponent and you might cause an injury here and there which can give you an edge if you're lucky. As an inexperienced player that could be worth gambling on especially if your opponents are more experienced.

If you feel you've mastered the team a bit, and especially of you have a few players with Guard, I believe you're better off without an Ogre.

And I agree with Merry and Matt that it depends on your opponents too. If you face a lot of elves you might as well leave him out entirely.
Garion26

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Probably take him, but - don't rely on him too much
You probably should be trying to solve most problems with your blitzers

Ogre is good at just sitting in the middle and being a passive problem for your opponent

That's my take as well.

To Matt's point. I think he's more useful in a league with a lot of strength 4 opposing players (i.e. Lizards, chaos, khorne, orcs, black orcs)

To me you want him to largely be there for guard, and then have him throw the last block of the turn particularly if your board position can tolerate him bone heading. If you can't tolerate him bone heading then just having him be a strength 5 roadblock is useful.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Joost wrote:
If you face a lot of elves you might as well leave him out entirely.

Exactly what I was thinking. Yes, vs Elves Ogre is not that good. Not useless, but the "passive" marking function is less effective because the Elves can dodge easily away from him. That forces more "activations" of the Ogre to mark them again, something you want to avoid with Bone-head.
Vs Dwarfs or Chaos Dwarfs, on the other hand, I found the Ogre useful, especially once he gets Guard.
gonzip

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all, thanks for the quick responses.

Yes, I know the teams in the league MattDakka
Imperial nobility
Chaos chosen x3
Black orcs
Nurgle
Amazons
Elven union
khorne x2
Necromantic
chaos dwarves
lizardmen x2

Maybe Ogre is good starting then?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I would start with this roster:

4 x Blitzers
1 x Thrower
2 x Catchers (or swap 1 Catcher with a Lineman, saving 15k)
5 x Linemen
3 x Re-rolls
1 x Apothecary

12 players and Apo since game 1. To start with the Ogre you should play with 11 players and no Apo, I don't suggest that, especially considering it's a league format.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I started my recent humans on what matt said (2 catchers myself) but without apo and put 50k on fans, saved and bought ogre after second game (still no apo, its mostly useless imo on low value teams)

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogre. Always Ogre. So many problems solved by Ogre.

Human's without Ogre are Dark Elves without 2+ AG. Sad.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans have a better passing game than DE and 4 Strength access players, without the Ogre.
They have better one turning capability as well. Razz
PainState

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2022 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

as the resident Ogre Human coach around this joint...always take the ogre...always blitz, kill, stomp, foul with him. Never be afraid of bone head. He is the center piece of the Human team and embrace him, love him and expect him to destroy the other team.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2022 - 04:54 Reply with quote Back to top

You need an Ogre. Who else can toss your halflings about?

Oscar Wilde
PirateRob

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2022 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the ogre for humans. Even vs elves he helps give you a line that they either have to overcommit to knock over or have to ignore, saving you injury potential on defense and a player you don't feel bad shoving into contact with multiple elves.

Vs strength teams it's frequently your only player who can make a 2d block on str 4 cage corners or guard walls.

I don't like blitzing with them when it's not necessary but guard helps immensely in supporting your team and in 2020 they unlock One Turn scoring without some Rube Goldberg line setup with 56 points of failure.
 Jump to: