47 coaches online • Server time: 14:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2022 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

A while ago another coach spurred me to create rosters that map onto the current 8 Colleges of Magic rosters

https://fumbbl.com/p/ruleset?id=2685

These are as close as they can get. No apothecary, as DB doesn't include them. No special rules on the rosters, therefore very limited star access.

The one roster that is marginally different is Life, where it's impossible to fully enforce the cap on Catchers and Stilty Runners. You can still not have more than 4 catchers (elf or fling) but there's some illegal combinations you may be able to get to, probably nothing advantageous.

So, numbered questions! I know some people like them.

1) Would you be interested in a league that used these rosters?

2) Would you allow a Wizard inducement? Maybe free for all teams each game? Or go completely the other way and ban the wiz as the colleges play on regular pitches without the approval of the wizards?

3) Spiked Ball to give people that exploding box feel? Y/N?

4) Would you like a league that left people a choice or one that went with multiples of 8 and assigned a College to each coach by a semi random process?

Also I'd be really happy if people double checked the rosters as I'm not sure I'd be able to spot an error having done all that stuff a while ago.

Thanks for reading this far, hope you may interested Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a league using these rosters would be fun the rest I have no opinion on.
tussock

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 05:36 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/position?id=49880
Needs Big Guy.

1) some of them seem terrible, like, what do basic elves even do vs the mass strong teams with fast S3 carriers. 6-7 strong players plus 4x S3 block, and maybe an MA 8 carrier. Like, what. Maybe that works in dungeonbowl where getting places fast is a big deal, but you're not getting anywhere vs all that.

2) Absolutely Wizards for anyone facing that nonsense, just being able to score once gives you a chance at a tie at least. But not for the big strong teams loaded with expensive players, no.

3) In theory spiked ball helps elves, in practice low AV carriers all get wrecked by the spiked ball over time. In spiked ball leagues, elves/rats all had to take +AV on someone, preferably twice.

4) Redo the teams for regular bloodbowl team balance rules, man. Max +6 fielded strength on a normal team (+8 on AG 2+ or ST 2). Then you can force people to play what are basically elves with worse linos and they would have a chance.

--

And that's for MA 6. MA 7 is +4, and MA 8 is +2.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Dungeon bowl has limits like:
0-2 Blitzers:
Dark Elf Blitzer
Skaven Blitzer

Your roster appears to say:
0-2 Dark Elf Blitzer
0-2 Skaven Blitzer

So could I take 4 blitzers, or just 2?

Also, agree with tussock the balance would be really different out of the dungeon and onto the pitch
But, if you try and adjust to suit that, you're changing away from the original concept and are then just making up your own rules
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like the Blitzer thing is set up....if you Click on the Dark Elf Positional you'll see a box that says "Replaces Positional" and in that box it says Skaven Blitzer. That means it limits both positional combined to 2
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the responses

@tussock fixed the bob thing

Balancewise I'm not sure if even in the dungeon a long running league would be balanced. In general I envision this as a bit of an experiment.
I'm not aware of anyone running DB leagues for many seasons, ever. The game seems to be lacking in longevity...

My approach would be to try it as is and see what happens. Any modifications would come after testing.

At 1000TV and for 6-12 matches, I don't see the unbalance exploding so badly. To me, a team that can be exploited early in development is Life. Potentially Underworld with rostered bombers. But you're right to spot very big teams of bashers, say 20-30 games in.

@c0d and spookeh
Yeah that should be sorted for all teams except a tiny edge case in Life, which doesn't seem to be a massive exploit to me. Worst you can do is take a combination of 4 halfling and wood elf catchers and then take up to 4 stilty runners, which should instead be capped at 0 by the catchers. In a roster that has so much choice I don't see it happening.

So Wiz no, spiked no? Both being an advantage for bashier colleges?

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, just simple limits to make them approximately blood bowl teams.

Beast, remove the wolf, 1 Big Guy.

Death, 1 mummy, 2 golems.

Fire, 2 big guys.

Heavens, 4 blockers.

Life, remove the bloaters and bombs, 1 big guy.

Light, is fine.

Metal, 4 Big Guys.

Shadow, is fine.

--

All those are better than normal teams, but I helped out in a custom league that had too much S4 on teams, and if anyone has it, even a few games in, especially now you can earn so much, they just become the base strength player, and all the S3 guys feel like stunties who can't even dodge. It's genuinely not fun to play.

Plus, having strong players and elfs on the same team, especially with super-cheap linos, is a disaster. The SL teams with 1 S4 player and 2 Elfs are great teams, even with rubbish players everywhere else.

--

Wiz is fine for the cheap team, even though some of these teams have extremely cheap build options. Spiked not really, no, it's better for like all-human type leagues.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll make a note of this post and if this go south on the first try (if it even happens!) will try to implement that in a new, improved version of the colleges (new ruleset maybe?)

so far not enough interest, maybe I'll float it on discord as well

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2023 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

what pitches would you associate to the 8 colleges?