46 coaches online • Server time: 23:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

When you say it so poetic like that I almost want to play to the last Gnoblar:)
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
-3D blocks just for the hope of getting a guy down to foul him. Mr. Green

Twisted Evil yarrrrr

DonShula

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Chrisdekok wrote:
Just spectated a game which ended with a concession after a very polite exchange between coaches. 2 of 4 Ogres were niggled.

Was that destructive and dangerous or just civilized and reasonable?

I guess I'm just an old guy pining for the "good old days".

It was a one game team and he retired it afterwards.
Why not play on?

The admins may consider this a legal concession. But if you are going to retire the team anyway you don't need to concede to "save" it.

Clearly, times have changed and the spirit of the game is not what it was in days past.

I'm pretty sure that there are still coaches who would have played on to the last gnoblar.
They'd have made -3D blocks just for the hope of getting a guy down to foul him. Mr. Green

Make it a game for the songs.

I expect that that is the spirit that the rules were written for.
But I guess that there are not many songs anymore. Just numbers.

Hey, guy who conceded here Very Happy

I'm also an old school player... Made my first tourney 20 years ago, being #30 NAF... My knees are also playin old good days songs Laughing Laughing

I never conceded during a league game, or during a tournament game. Because there is some possibility to get fun, and have a nice social experience, even just by sharing a beer Wink .

My last opponent was kind, but ... that's just a game. I'd rather stop before being frustrated by it. There are less ways to get a nice moment online when you're raped with dices. I'm also a very lucky player, and got some concessions i can understand. That's just a game. Not numbers, just a game. Meaning some fun for players.

As Chris said before, i would make a difference when you endured rage concessions, without a word, or with angry behaviour, and opponent left game ASAP. Got one recently. There is a big difference here imo.

Ho, btw, i can't count games (IRL or online) where i got a bad experience by a game which went on turn 16! Another subject here... But maybe more important than conceding! Smile
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi DonShula,
Didn't mean to drag you into this. I just used your game as an example of a nice and proper concession. I have really enjoyed our games even if you are both better and luckier than me:)
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, two Ogres out, some would play on but that's pretty harsh so most would probably be okay with it if you didn't. It just sucks when you pull off some fancy move and the other coach just nopes out, or even worse, if they roll a little below average and bail on that account.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

DonShula wrote:

My last opponent was kind, but ... that's just a game. I'd rather stop before being frustrated by it. There are less ways to get a nice moment online when you're raped with dices. I'm also a very lucky player, and got some concessions i can understand. That's just a game. Not numbers, just a game. Meaning some fun for players.

Some people will be frustrated as soon as their first roll fails. Smile

Then we're into BB2 land where people are conceding in turn one or two.

If the game is already "over" and the team is going to be retired then why be further frustrated? Why not look for some fun from what is left? Especially when you have a nice opponent.

I have admitted that I tend pre-select opponents so the game is likely to be fun whatever happens on the pitch.

DonShula wrote:

As Chris said before, i would make a difference when you endured rage concessions, without a word, or with angry behaviour, and opponent left game ASAP. Got one recently. There is a big difference here imo.

I would be more happy to get rid of a grumpy opponent that a pleasant one. Twisted Evil

But I suppose you are saying that you wanted to quit before you got grumpy. Smile

DonShula wrote:

Ho, btw, i can't count games (IRL or online) where i got a bad experience by a game which went on turn 16! Another subject here... But maybe more important than conceding! Smile

Is that because of the opponent or the on field action? Or both?

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Some people will be frustrated as soon as their first roll fails. Smile Then we're into BB2 land where people are conceding in turn one or two.

If the game is already "over" and the team is going to be retired then why be further frustrated? Why not look for some fun from what is left? Especially when you have a nice opponent.

See the point here... But ... We're all human after all, and stopping to be raped by Nuffle sometimes is easier Wink Losing 2 ogres on 4, not counting the cannon fodder which are snots (1 cas, 3 KO) in 5 turns... Just don't give will to go further. Even everything was nice and polite! Smile But one more time, i see the point. I spent some good moments with Norse teams to fight against odds, even with 4 or 5 players on field!

koadah wrote:
But I suppose you are saying that you wanted to quit before you got grumpy. Smile

Yep!

koadah wrote:
Is that because of the opponent or the on field action? Or both?

That may be both, but because of the opponent first. You're hit with lot of casualties and suddenly, things changed a little bit... And the whining wind starts ...

As said before, this is just a game. When it changes people's behaviour, i think there's something wrong around.
DonShula

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Chrisdekok wrote:
Hi DonShula,
Didn't mean to drag you into this. I just used your game as an example of a nice and proper concession. I have really enjoyed our games even if you are both better and luckier than me:)

No worries mate, understood the aim there Wink I also enjoyed our games!!!

Oh and by the way, I'm just luckier Very Happy
mekutata

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

If one feels like quitting a game due two injured ogres.... maybe not play ogres then?

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The rage quitters are the ones that lack proper sportsmanship. The truth of it is that we all will experience an insurmountable amount of unfair rolls at some point. Allow the other player to have their moment in the spotlight because you will eventually be gifted a game too. Not enough stoicism, when bad dice strike just in general. However, we all miss the mark at times. Just be mindful that there is another person on the other side of the computer that wants to enjoy their rare dice or is suffering due to you having rare dice. If you keep playing the dice may surprise you or you will be presented an opportunity to test your patience to be fair. However, this is a dice game that rewards rolling less or choosing the most efficient play. Do not be so fast to shoot your RR venom too soon, because lady luck will treat you well if you provide her an endurance race instead!

Last edited by Gridironman on Nov 23, 2022 - 07:05; edited 1 time in total
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the original situation I described is a rage quitting. I just try to direct as little rage as I can against the opponent.

In my case what triggers ragequitting is the combination of playing against a far better coach, that has extreme dice AND kills my players. If you remove one of the 3 conditions I will usually finish the game even if I lose 0-5.

All ragequitting is of course bad but not all concessions in my opinion.
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

All concessions are bad. However, there is a way to concede without conceding. Stay on the ground or run to the other end of the field. If your opponent catches you though or stomps on a key piece, its part of the game. By all means retreat and run because its a part of the game. If someone stomps you when the game is already decided like turn 16 or along those lines its improper unless it is within league play. If I can I will try to pay them back with the most annoying foul I can do as an informal way of saying I did not appreciate that.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Another question is: Why don't you concede/quit games where you dice your opponent. Those one-sided games should be as boring as being diced. And just play even games when dice are just even. Without pixel or stat love or (already said) egocentrism.

Conceding as a strat just is wrong.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2022 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Opponent would be suprised at least Smile might do it sometimes after i have abandoned my effort to reach as high fake CR as possible.
 Jump to: