23 coaches online • Server time: 01:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2023 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, the latest client update features the option to mark the used players with a green check symbol.
I like it, but from my particular perspective and in my humble opinion it is a bit counter-intuitive, because a green check seems to suggest that the player can still be activated, while actually he has already been used.
So, using a red "X" symbol instead of the green tick "V" symbol on the used players could prevent confusion and could be less misleading. A red "X" suggests that a player has been activated better than a green "V" (that seems to suggest that the player can be activated, instead).
Just an aestethic observation, I'm not complaining not criticizing the feature, just trying to provide a hopefully constructive feedback.
The option in my opinion is great, thanks for it!
Dynamix

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2023 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for highlighting this option MattDakka, used it in a game and I like it . I like the Green background tick rather than an X . Down to personal preference I guess ymmv
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2023 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers!
Yes, it's a very small detail, down to personal preference, as you said.
I think that, generally and most commonly,the red colour is associated to something you can't use, something you can't do, or something which is off/switched down, so I thought to point it out (I like logic in things).
It could have been a red round background with a white X (instead of a white V tick on green round background). Whenever I see a green tick symbol on a player, my brain thinks that the player is activable, while is the other way around.
Anyway, it's a great option and a nice client feature.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2023 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

You can also look at it like "That player is done for this turn".

I was undecided between these two versions actually and went with the green one. I also contemplated giving more options but decided against it as I was not sure if people would actually use it.

So there is a chance that in a future version there will be other options.

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2023 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice! At first I thought that the green tick displayed a not activated player (and I expected a red symbol after the activation), so I wanted to make the first post's suggestion.
About using it: I always read the changelog (if developers bother writing it, why not reading it?), so I discovered this option, glad to advertise it.
HimalayaP1C7

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2023 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I also think it’s a great addition thank you, and really helps understand the board. I do agree that the green colour is a bit counterintuitive, and the icon is slightly large. My guess at this would be that players who can still act have a smaller white circle/dot (no icon needed) in the top right, then once they can no longer act, the dot turns red. This would help a lot with mirror matches which can be quite confusing, all of your team would have a dot of some sort.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2023 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

As an aside, another idea (I don't know whether it is technically possible): a green square outline around the not activated players and a red square outline around the already activated ones (or stunned).
A square outline has the advantage that it doesn't hide the player icons. Some icons are similar and it's better not to hide them with a mark (which is quite big, compared to icons' size).
That should really help to understand quickly the board.
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2023 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the green checkmark, thanks