44 coaches online • Server time: 20:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2023 - 05:43
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SWL XCV Artoria Donatania Conference

hmmm... feeling a bit of a lack of enthusiasm for this season. The Luckers have played 4 the teams in this pool before. Three of them last season, and last season didn't go so well.

How do they line up?

Image Malapropisms Relieved (1450k, 8/2/4), BeefyGoodness
Image Nana's Undies (1480k, 11/5/3), Irgy
Image Mosgiel Moonrakers (1290k, 14/11/17), Wozzaa
Image [SWL] Invasion Cube 001 (1250k, 4/5/1), awambawamb
Image Skye Babes (1470k, 12/4/20), JoeKano
Image Killer Heelz (1380k, 16/11/14), Reggiesson
Image New Blacktown Expatriates (1360k, 18/11/13), ClayInfinity

GG Luckers (1410k, 19/11/12) as always have a tough season ahead.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2023 - 23:25
FUMBBL Staff

Game 1: BeefyGoodness's Khemri "Malapropisms Relieved"Image

So, starting the season with "a bit of a lack of enthusiasm". 6 BOrcs vs 4 Tomb Guardians. I did have 2 Guard though, surely that'd help even things up. Maybe, until I lost a guard. A tough match where I gave beefy a shot at opening my cage and he did so ruthlessly.

Full Time: 0-2 (0/1/0 - 0/0/0)

Lack of enthusiasm reinforced, what to do? Fortunately before the next game we get a half hour session on Black Orcs in the One World, One Blood Bowl podcast. Maybe they can help.

"They are the worst, they are terrible aren't they? Black Orcs"

"Plan A has to work, and if Plan A doesn't work, it's game over"

"So why are people still enjoying a team that is clearly terrible at Blood Bowl, really suffering in all the win stats?"

"They're awful"

"It's the character of the team rather than how good they are"

".. and so everyone's putting up with this absolute dross of a team"

And yes they are suffering in the win stats. Five race tables were posted on discord from various formats (thanks Garion):
2nd to last 44% wins
6th to last 44% wins
5th to last 45% wins
8th to last 45% wins
3rd to last 43% wins

GGs are sitting on 19/11/13, what's that 57%? But, this is only SWL and we did just lose the Urn Wink

Is there hope for the Luckers? Maybe not a Prem title... ok let's be honest, Certainly not a Prem title. However, there should be enough to keep me interested for another 57 games to make the 100 like my last two SWL teams did.

So a few goals:
- Make Prem again
- Do better (or at least as good as) Clay did in Prem
- Win a Silver Cup
- Never get relegated to Regionals
- Beat mushoomy's lizards with my "shit lizards"
- Get a win against every race (my Bingo card)

... and most importantly learn to love this absolute dross of a team. Wish me luck. Go Luckers!
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2023 - 10:02
FUMBBL Staff

Game 2: Irgy's Undead "Nana's Undies"Image

BOrcs one of the worst races, up against Undead one of the best. With my best BOrc in recovery, we had a bit of inducement cash to play with. Under pre-FAQ rules I'd probably have thrown in a couple of coins from treasury to get me a blitzer (Varag) to accompany Dribblesnot into the ring. But it's post-FAQ times so I roll out an old favourite, a slightly cheaper Ripper.

As much as the inducements races (snots, flings...) hate the change, maybe we'll see a bit more variety in the Stars who show up.

Drive 1
BOrcs receive, and with a little help from Dribble cut the dead down to 8 players. Of course this helps, and though a few dice need to be rolled, the Luckers rumble forward and score T8.

Drive 3
I think the GGs would be happy with a draw, but that might not be up to me. After chopping us down to 9 players, Irgy scores on T12.

Drive 4
KO'ed goblin doesn't return, so we start the attempt to win with 9 vs 11. Two goblins, 3 rerolls, and 5 turns to score.

Turn 14
A tricky situation to get out of.
Removals help

Turn 15
A tricky situation to get out of.
Grab helps

Turn 16
Dice needed
Nuffle helps

Very very happy to get this win over a solid team with a solid coach.

Full Time: 2-1 (1/0/1 - 1/2/1)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2023 - 23:32
FUMBBL Staff

Game 3: Wozzaa's Halflings "Mosgiel Moonrakers"Image

From underdog to overdog, but I wasn't about to let Wozzaa be the only one having fun with bombs. 50k from my treasury gave the flings a total of 250k to play with.

Rumbelow plus keg.... where's Cindy?

Drive 1
Flings leave the BOrcs behind. Dribblesnot is very close though, will one TZ be enough to have him miss the shot?
No.
But maybe an interfering tree would
However the gap had been created, and the captain BOrc sprinted in to smack the carrier.
Image Image Image
rr
Image Image Image
And the dirty git came in to take off the star fling.

Four turns to score and a long way to run. It was only after the match when I looked at the dice stats that I realised there were moles under the pitch this drive. 7 gfis for the flings, 3 for the GGs. Four turns is a lot, no gfi required on the run to the EndZone

Drive 2
Luckers receive in the second half 1-0 up. Things are looking good, flings are short on numbers. This should be a breeze. Except Wozzaa is a very good fling coach, and he wasn't about to give up.

Stay away from the Trees is a well known mantra. But what if St2 flings push S4 BOrcs into Trees, and Trees into BOrcs? Little bullies.

Turn 12

Turn 13

Turn 14

Turn 15

Having survived a 3D block by a tree, and a 1D surf attempt, it was long overdue for Tirohanga to accept that 1 TD was enough for today and simply run away.

The flings were very hard done by to not leave the pitch with a draw. Well played Wozzaa.

Full Time: 1-0 (0/1/0 - 0/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2023 - 01:03
FUMBBL Staff

Game 4: awambawamb's Borg "[SWL] Invasion Cube 001"Image

The Borg meta. I've played a few games with the Borg. To get positionals you need to assimilate (= murder) them first. Similarly skills get chosen in priority from those that have been assimilated by the hive mind. So you end up with a lot of linemen with Block and Frenzy.

Hardly an optimal team build. So how the hell did awambawamb come into this game with a 6/6/1 record?

First Half
I brought Dribblesnot as overdog (of course), rebuy is still a few rounds away I can afford to splash money around.
Luckers receive and in the first turn we managed to remove two Borg. The Borg struck early with the Wizard (Turn 1!), didn't get the ball from it, but did remove the Bomber.

The suspicion grew that this was going to be easy. Nobody told the awambawamb this, his Borg were relentless. They continually charged in, manning up, and forcing dice rolls. No worries, feed the BOrcs and the Troll and we'll just remove more players.

uh-oh. GGs scrambled got the ball back. Then...

<ramchop> forgot to blitz
Just the one player left unmoved. I knew I shouldn't but couldn't help myself
<ramchop> i don't know if the troll is up to the task, we'll see...
<ramchop> nope

While blodge withstood the next hit, the Borg closed in, and secured the ball a turn later. Somehow the GGs managed to recover it again, and we sprinted to a very relieved score.

I can't recall feeling as hassled, harried and harassed in a drive as the Luckers were in that one.

Half Time 1-0

Second Half
While the Borg manning up so very nearly gave them the honours in the first half of defence, similar tactics with ball in hand didn't pay off.

Turn 9
mucking about with Gimp for the first two gifs took long enough, not doing it with that one

Back on defence the harrassment continued, but the Luckers prevailed - only missing a second touchdown with a failed T16 gfi. A very enjoyable match indeed.

Full Time: 1-0 (1/1/0 - 0/1/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2023 - 20:34
FUMBBL Staff

Game 5: JoeKano's Amazon "Skye Babes"Image

The Borg quite unhelpfully removed my best BOrc for this game. This cut my Tackle count from 2 down to 1. So what's in the arsenal for a BOrc team to use against a team of 6 blodgers?

A wrestle goblin? A vomiting troll?...

Pretty obvious really in the new meta. With the captain missing, the GGs had 180k to spend as underdog. Bomber Dribblesnot was the first choice, a bribe the second, leaving 80k. Let's narrow the field with Frenzy, and welcome Akhorne into the team.

There is a lot of discussion about how broken Dribblesnot is. Most of it focusses on the use of him in defence. I like this quote from JanMattys:

"Bomber is a defensive starplayer first and foremost. If your opponent fields him during their offense, either they have a bribe or they are making a mistake."

If I have the choice, I'll receive first and use Bomber on offence. Sure I had a bribe this time, but even without it I'd usually go for carnage first.
In my head, BOrcs need a bit of help from removals to grind up and score. An extra mighty blow on the team helps with these removals, and also acts as a decoy.

In this game Bomber scored a serious injury on a skilled lino on Turn 1, threw 2 other bombs to little effect before Turn 7. Then Turn 7 happened.

4 KOs, 2 SI, and a dead apo dead Jaguar Warrior.
3 for the Bomb, 1 for the dirty git, and 3 for the single tackler.

Half Time: 1-0

Second half Zons score early to get rid of Bomber. 1-1

A very short kick, and a failed pickup, spilling the ball into Zon territory made me nervous. After recovering the ball and with the numbers advantage, the Luckers rumbled up the pitch for another win.

Full Time: 2-1 (0/1/0 - 0/1/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2023 - 02:46
FUMBBL Staff

Game 6: Reggiesson's Dark Elf "Killer Heelz"Image

The business end of the season. Qualification to the Premiership is oh so close, but there are a few things that can stop us.

5 games played, the Luckers are on 20 points. 4 wins and a loss.
Back on 4 games Clay's BOrcs are on 12 points. If they beat the Borg, and then beat GGs in R7, then they'll pass us in second.

Unless we win. So Plan A is a simple one. Win.

And how? Scum Bomber!

Expensive mistakes threshold in SWL mean that 200k+ you can lose half your treasury with a roll of 1. I did not want to got into Prem with a decimated bank, so the GGs were going conservative and trimming down to 190k. This gave us wiggle room to overdog both Bomber and a Bribe, so we did.

Bomber was good. The dirty git however, Gracefield was having a special half.
Turn 3: Knocked out a Legend Blitzer
Turn 4: Badly Hurt a Witch (apo'ed)
Turn 5: Killed a lino
Turn 6: Badly Hurt a star Blitzer
Turn 7: Stun! Ref had had enough.

It was so tempting to keep the dirty bugger on, but I resisted. And kept the bribe for Dribblesnot.

We still had to score though and the DElves had a trick up their sleeves to stop us.

Maybe the Riot had put me a few squares short of where I wanted to be, it was a very nervous turn 8.

Halftime: 1-0

The DElves, like the Zons last round weren't keen to endure another half of Bomber Dribblesnot. The break was made...

A long drive for the painfully slow ball carrying BOrc. Turn 15 the call was made from the coach for him to hand over to the ex-frog. And the superstar obliged.

Full Time: 2-0 (0/1/0 - 1/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2023 - 01:03
FUMBBL Staff

Game 7: ClayInfinity's Black Orc "New Blacktown Expatriates"Image

Having made Prem and on a 5 game winning streak was there anything left to do this season? I did so want that Silver Conference trophy. And for that, I needed another win. So, Bomber Dribblesnot made yet another overdogging appearance.

I fully expected him to get cancelled, but surprisingly Scrappa and Fungus came to the party instead.

First Drive, Expats receive. Fungus killed himself on a turn 1 go for it. After that the ball didn't start a single turn in the same square or the same pair of hands for 11 turns!

Halftime 1-0

Second Drive, the Expats evaporated. Only 5 opposition players remained on the pitch at the end of Turn 13.

Full Time 2-0 (1/0/0 - 0/1/0)

6/0/1 for the season. Promotion to Prem. Shiny Silver Trophy. Pact, Zons and Undead ticked off the Bingo board. Hard to believe that a mere 6 games ago I was moaning about how bad BOrcs are.

Now onto the rebuy....
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2023 - 07:04
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVI Premier

Back to the big league! The rebuy was a bit painful, agent fees of 120k meant even with the 1600k budget I was forced to make a choice between seasoned players or a bench. I chose the big players: Two very experienced BOrcs and a dirty git. No bench.

Looking down the list of teams and coaches I see no easy beats. I'd say there's a reasonable chance I'll get my first last placing on a SWL table.

Here's how they line up:
( Image = Prem title for the team, Image = Prem title for the coach with a previous team)

Image Blackwater Picaroons (1520k, 27/12/9 = 69% win rate) Image Image Foad Image Image Image
Image Pitch Painters (1210k, 21/13/14 = 57% win rate), Faulcon Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Weapons of Maths Destruction (1500k, 11/11/4 = 63% win rate), The_Squigadier
Image Amateur Professionals (1520k, 22/9/18 = 54% win rate) Image tussock Image
Image Roughstone Rock Raiders (1600k, 12/3/0 = 90% win rate) Sandune Image Image Image Image
Image Sun's out, Guns out! (1170k, 25/4/4 = 82% win rate) Image Semitence
Image Malapropisms Relieved (1540k, 13/3/5 = 69% win rate) BeefyGoodness

24% of all SWL Prem titles dating back to the beginning in 2003 have been won by these guys.

Image GG Luckers (1455k, 25/11/13 = 62% win rate), ramchop
Yep, this is going to be difficult.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2023 - 01:20
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVI Premier
Round 1: Foad's Amazon "Blackwater Picaroons"Image

I want to talk about the first half.

Agent fees had suppressed the GGs TV enough to allow everyone's favourite star onto the pitch. Zons receive, go Bomber!

As well as the T1 Dribblesnot fail, my dirty git got sent off first foul for a mere KO! Not the best of starts.

The Zons circled around behind the defensive line to get their shots in at Bomber, so a lot of the GGs efforts were focused on protecting the little star.

BOrc Turn 4, these efforts paid off.
Quite a successful turn.

But the Zons though down on numbers weren't about to make it easy for the Luckers to score,

BOrc Turn 5 Run!/ Zon Turn 6 Chase!
For some reason I thought we only had 1 reroll left (we had 2), so rather than risk burning it to get m7 Tirohanga in range he ended up 1 step short of where he needed to be. Look at all that S4!

BOrc Turn 6 A single step forward, but there is still protection

Zon Turn 7

BOrc Turn 7

Bomber's failed gfi meant my poor wrestle gob was going to have to withstand 6 block dice to have a hope of scoring

Image Image Image

Zon blood goggles
Image Image Image

BOrc Turn 8

Yes that was a magic first half. Bombs, death, drama! A half worth talking about.

I don't want to talk about the second half

Full Time: 1-2 (1/3/1 - 1/1/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2023 - 03:58
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVI Premier
Round 2: Faulcon's Snotlings "Pitch Painters"Image

7 casualties for, 1 against. In normal circumstances that'd be a pretty good indication of a smashing good time. But fumbbl stats do not tell the full story, and snotlings are not normal circumstances.

I made the fatally flawed decision to spend 45k on a 12th man. The correct decision as overdog would have been to use this cash to bring Dribblesnot (even though he'd have been cancelled).

Skirting around the Bomber when you're slow is hard. Getting to the Bomber when the opposition sets up with 14 players is also hard.

Having a ref that turns a blind eye to 13 fouls makes you want to cry.

The true casualty count was 7 to 5. On more than BH we're looking at 1 to 4
MNG vs MNG & -av & -st & dead

There's a lot of TV tied up in that St3 BOrc. I think I'll give him a random skill to honour him as a Legend, then let him go.

Second half, my only real crack at the ball. I should have tried more.

Full Time: 0-1 (6/1/0 - 0/1/0)
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2023 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

ouch, painful cage dive. I do love a good GIF; fine work ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2023 - 03:38
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVI Premier
Round 3: The_Squigadier's Orc "Weapons of Maths Destruction"Image

My FUMBBL year so far has had its ups and downs. Involved in 3 leagues in the Australasian timezones saw a very nice patch spanning 15 games with 12 wins no losses. 6 of those games were the GGs' streak that claimed the Silver Cup and promotion last season.

My secret league Tilea team the Diavoli was experiencing a similar great run (5 wins on the trot). But then this happened.

If anything was going to attract Nuffle's attention that was it. Ricardo bloody cursed me! What followed was 6 losses on the trot. And then next up in SWL is Orcs.

Orcs do pretty much everything as good, or better than BOrcs. The GGs have only ever lost to Orcs. I was pretty confident the losing streak would continue.

As slight overdog I felt Dribblesnot was my only hope, but of course the underdog countered by cancelling him

First Drive GGs received and found it extremely hard to make any progress. Turn 7 we had to move. A speedy goblin with a 2-3 gob screen could do the job. Move the ball carrier first, at least if the screen fails to follow there is still a slim hope of scoring.

Snakes. That curse doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

Half Time 0-0

One thing that BOrcs do have going for them is a solid fouling game. Orc armour can be pretty tough to crack on your feet. But on the ground can be a different story.

My dirty git Gracefield had a cracker!
9 fouls
BH Big Un - apo'ed
KOed lineorc
Niggled Guard Big Un
BH Big Un
Niggled Bloc S4 Thrower
... and a successful argued call.

Even with all of those removals the Orcs did have ball in hand. To win it I'd need to roll dice. To score I'd need to GFI

Curse lifted

Full Time: 1-0 (0/1/0 - 0/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 23:40
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVI Premier
Round 4: tussock's High Elf "Amateur Professionals"Image

High Elves! Only 11 of them, strategy was to remove the things to make it easier for the painfully slow BOrcs. Scummed Bomber (of course) to make the removal game easier.

First Half. GGs receive. Two Helves in casualty by Turn 3, but by T8 they'd managed to keep 7 on the pitch, enough to make a screen and the T8 score difficult.

Blitz, 2D hit, needing a Image (or better), Image Image
Dodge 3+ [4]
Dodge (from tackle) 3+ [4]
GFI 2+ [3]
GFI 2+ [5]
phew

M9 Blodger up against a Troll, a sf, and a protected s4. Setup hoping for a Timeout or a Quick Snap. Got neither.

Half Time 1-0

Second Half Helves score midway through the half to make a game of it. 4 turns for the BOrcs to win, but we're sloooow, 10 vs 8. Soon 10 vs 7.

The BOrcs may be slow, but we have a freshly minted MA8 goblin. Things looked good for the Luckers, until...

The Professionals used all 3 rerolls to pull that off. Despite the decent screen of BOrcs, all I saw was a protected Blodge MA9 Leap Helf in range of a touchdown, and I was scared.

Go the little wrestler!

Turn 15 and 16. Needed a 3+ to pick up the ball and win it. Two attempts, no rerolls, both failed.

Full Time: 1-1 (1/0/0 - 1/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 19, 2023 - 12:26
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVI Premier
Round 5: Sandune's Dwarf "Roughstone Rock Raiders"Image

I had a plan for this one. My S3 Superstar BOrc, Woodridge did well against the HElves, but he carried a lot of weight. With him the GGs had higher tv, but without him we were exactly 130k below. Bomber Dribblesnot for the carnage, and a Biased ref to sort out that sneaky git Roller!

Random Legend roll as a retirement present, then Woodridge was shown the door.

It was a brilliant plan! But of course Sandune wouldn't stand for that and sacked his own damaged player to close the gap. Treasury was needed even for Bomber, and Cindy came to the party to greet him. Sadly no biased ref.

That deathroller
<Sandune> he's scarier in theory than practice I can bloody assure you

Lies!

Pitch cleared by Turn 7.

Full time: 0-2 (0/0/0 - 1/2/0)
 Jump to: