49 coaches online • Server time: 22:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Who is the worst positional in the game?
Amazon - Python Warrior Thrower
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Chaos Renegade - Renegade Skaven
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Chaos Renegade - Renegade Thrower
15%
 15%  [ 22 ]
Dark Elf - Assassin
16%
 16%  [ 23 ]
Dwarf - Troll Slayer
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
High Elf - Thrower
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Imperial - Imperial Throwers
13%
 13%  [ 19 ]
Lizardmen - Chameleon Skink
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
OWA - Old World Human Thrower
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
OWA - Old World Dwarf Blockers
25%
 25%  [ 36 ]
Wood Elf - Thrower
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Orc - Thrower
11%
 11%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 142

Seventyone

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

It's a conSpirocy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

i miss spir0

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
So, even a Human or Orc Lineman is a Blocker, by that logic.
Also, if a normal Dwarf is called Blocker and has Block, naming an OWA Dwarf Brawler would help to make clear that they are different.
no, it's a necessity to be the kind of player who wants and can take Block, but that's not sufficient: horseshoe, not triple bar. Blockers are slow, tough, and have GS access. Maybe the Bodyguard counts, but linemen (that aren't Dwarfs) and Blitzers are not the same thing.

I agree about the confusing similarity in the names of fairly different players.

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Blocker like an NFL lineman, Blitzer like a linebacker?

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Blocker like an NFL lineman, Blitzer like a linebacker?

Yes but I also think Blocker like a BIG NFL lineman - defensive tackle or big guard.

Blitzer is a linebacker on defense and a Running Back/Tight End on offense.

Catcher is a Wide Receiver/Corner/Safety

Thrower is obvious.

Linemen are undersized linemen in NFL terms or second class TE/LB

Pieces - partially me thinking of the game like chess or board games. Players depending on my mood. Pixels when on FUMBBL.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion26 wrote:

I don't think that many of those make the NFL. There are only 32 teams after all. Maybe some rugby players. Smile

Garion26 wrote:

Pieces - partially me thinking of the game like chess or board games. Players depending on my mood. Pixels when on FUMBBL.

Does the rulebook mention pieces? Except maybe gold pieces. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Garion26 wrote:

I don't think that many of those make the NFL. There are only 32 teams after all. Maybe some rugby players. Smile

Trust me there are undersized (for the NFL) linemen in the NFL - only so many super huge people who can retain the athleticism to play at that level.

Did you see the Bengals dominate the Buffalo Bills 9 days ago. It was basically a team with 5 Orc Biguns with block vs human linemen in a blizzard. Looked a bit like TV 1600 vs TV 1300 without any inducements.

Aaron Donald vs most linemen is the same deal.

Of course when BB was invented there were the 'superhuman' players Jervis was watching like Refrigerator Perry (strength 4 blocker vs 'normal' sized linemen)
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Did you know the first draft of blood bowl was an American football game that was extremely complex and crunchy, and never got released. It got adapted using the warhammer 2nd edition profiles and was in many ways mini warhammer on a blood bowl pitch.

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Did you know the first draft of blood bowl was an American football game that was extremely complex and crunchy, and never got released. It got adapted using the warhammer 2nd edition profiles and was in many ways mini warhammer on a blood bowl pitch.

I didn't know there was an unreleased version do you have more details?

I heard Jervis give a great talk on an Age of Sigmar podcast about 7 years ago (Heelenhammer maybe) about the origin of Blood bowl
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion26 wrote:

I didn't see the game, but weren't the Bills favourites?

Many players may not be huge but I'd consider them more exceptional than human linos.

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Garion26 wrote:

I didn't see the game, but weren't the Bills favourites?

Many players may not be huge but I'd consider them more exceptional than human linos.

Bills were I think betting favorites - but bottom line the Bengals dominated in the trenches. It really looked like strength 4 vs strength 3 no guard.

In terms of the NFL Blood Bowl Linemen are the guys good enough to get on a team but will never make the pro bowl and don't end up on posters, lunch boxes, or t shirts.

A Black Orc, Big Un or Chaos warrior is fairly super human.

I like to think of normal humans (fans) in the BB world as being closer to strength 2 (and normal goblins in the stands are even weaker then BB goblins!) A human lineman is a big human person.

I've played backyard football against a buddy who was on scholarship as Division I linebacker. I thought I was a good high school athlete (at 170 or so lbs) - eventually he was done with my pass rushing silliness and he decided to blow me off the line of scrimmage - I ended up being blown like ten feet back and doing multiple summersaults until I hit the turf. He'd never ever make an NFL team but he was still bigger and stronger and faster by an order of magnitude them me. 30 years later my almost 50 year old typical fan broken down body wouldn't last one down against him at 18. I'm definitely strength 2 with multiple niggling injuries, and AV/move busts.
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2023 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The Orc Thrower is the one wholly dysfunctional unit provided.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2023 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion26 wrote:
Garion wrote:

I didn't know there was an unreleased version do you have more details?

I heard Jervis give a great talk on an Age of Sigmar podcast about 7 years ago (Heelenhammer maybe) about the origin of Blood bowl

No, that's pretty much all he said. The interview is probs online somewhere as it was a written interview from years ago talking about making blood bowl

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2023 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I would say the preclude to being a blocker is a combination of some combination of skills or abilities that either increase ability to take a hit (+AV/Thick Skull/Wrestle) and skills that impede forward progress (Fend/Standfirm/Block/defensive).

It's also relative so a dwarf lineman would be a blocker if he were in the human team
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2023 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

Didn't know it, glad to discover it. I only knew that first edition BB was a clunky and complex game, close to a mini WHFB skirmish on a pitch, with long block-battles and the matches' tendency to get bogged down and last forever.
I always thought that BB was born as a mix of American Football and WH races clashing on a pitch, not that started as an American Football game without fantasy elements and shifted to WH eventually.

Last edited by MattDakka on Feb 01, 2023 - 12:53; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2023 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Garion wrote:

Didn't know it, glad to discover it. I only knew that first edition BB was a clunky and complex game, close to a mini WHFB skirkish on a pitch, with long block-battles and the matches' tendency to get bogged down and last forever.
I always thought that BB was born as a mix of American Football and WH races clashing on a pitch, not that started as an American Football game without fantasy elements and shifted to WH eventually.

well he worked at GW at the time, it was just something he created in his spare time. Those original rules never got released anywhere.

I'll try find the interview at some point if i have the time...