50 coaches online • Server time: 14:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
asauve19

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2023 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't want to be overly negative, but I've played 6 total games with the worst luck I've ever seen. I am not overly competitive, but like.. Last game I rolled 4 out of 5 1's for go for it's with trees, Sweltering heat twice, took out both trees on my team, I've had 3 blitzes against me, officious ref 3 times, all 3 times taking out a tree. I've had one single kick-off event rolled my way (high kick) but I swear, it's just like nothing like real life dice rolls. Oh, once I rolled 14 dice without a single pow or dodge/pow.

I know dice be dice, but like, these odds have to be outrageous and only playing 6 games, makes me really not want to play another.
Ohwatch

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2023 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

It's happens.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2023 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You know you can see the dice stats for a game in the match report?

In you last game you got even distribution of block dice (low on both Skull and Pows), higher than average distribution on 2D6s, and higher than average distribution on single D6s.

In that specific game though on balance your opponent probably had slightly better dice than you
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2023 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Everybody on FUMBBL uses the same dice. If they were bad for you, they would be for everybody else, too. But there can be bad times and they are hard to take sometimes. It will get better.

For in depth info: https://fumbbl.com/help:FFB_RNG
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I have 2 pearls of wisdom for you:

- The best remedy for bad luck is playing more games. It will reduce the variance.

- When you lose try not to blame dice, instead focus on your mistakes, roster and on what you could have done not to lose.

You can't control dice but you can often control how to improve the chances of your actions.

6 games are a too small sample size to draw statistical conclusions from. Even assuming you got under average dice, if you stop playing now you will never get the good dice waiting for you in future games.
Sooner or later dice will average out, just keep on playing and don't get disheartened. Smile
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You need to improve your play not blame the dice. You are in the right place in 145. You didn't make things easy for yourself by using halflings.

e.g. You could say that rolling a skull and rerolling to another skull is "unlucky". But there was no need to make a 1D block in the first place. You could easily have made it a 2D block and greatly reduced your chances of "bad luck".
You did it multiple times in turn 1. Your opponent also made an unnecessary 1D block.

Don't forget that your player did not have the block skill. So, the chances of each block failing was 1/3.

Reduce the chances of bad luck.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I would search the forums for posts by Voorn

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

asauve19 wrote:
Oh, once I rolled 14 dice without a single pow or dodge/pow.

I know dice be dice, but like, these odds have to be outrageous and only playing 6 games, makes me really not want to play another.

You roll about 60 block dice in the average game, so you'll get about 30 attempts to roll that set per game, so it'll happen about 1 in 10 games.

Given you played 6 games, that's about right for your longest pushy run. Much less of a problem for teams starting with block, of course.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I also like to play on table with my own dice.

Its way more enjoyable when you have some control of what you roll.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

MerryZ wrote:

Its way more enjoyable when you have some control of what you roll.

But do you really? Unless you are cheating when rolling you shouldn't have any control.
razmus

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

But, but.. if I use my own dice, I can at least control the COLOR of the SKULLs and ONES which result. Wink

CrookfangRob

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

asauve19 wrote:
I don't want to be overly negative, but I've played 6 total games with the worst luck I've ever seen. I am not overly competitive, but like.. Last game I rolled 4 out of 5 1's for go for it's with trees, Sweltering heat twice, took out both trees on my team, I've had 3 blitzes against me, officious ref 3 times, all 3 times taking out a tree. I've had one single kick-off event rolled my way (high kick) but I swear, it's just like nothing like real life dice rolls. Oh, once I rolled 14 dice without a single pow or dodge/pow.

You seem to be suggesting not only that the FUMBBL RNG isn't random (it is), but also that it has been deliberately tilted against you.

How likely do you think that is? Do you think it would even be possible?

Isn't a better explanation just normal, common bad luck like everyone gets sometimes?
CrookfangRob

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

In this game you made 11 GFIs and didn't fail one. That is statistically unlikely.
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4435164

Do you want to complain about that too? Or is it only the dice rolls you fail that bother you?
gansus

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I think many of the posts like the one made by asauve19 have a psychological source: one will always remember the times in a match where he was unlucky, but will tend to forget those moments where he was lucky. Therefore, that person will always think he is being pretty unlucky all in all. Apart from that, it is absolutely true that there are much rolls which are much more important than some other ones, but that is why you try to surround your catcher when trying that easy pass: yeah, you only need 3+ and 3+ for it to be successful and you have a RR: but man, dice DO HAVE 1 and 2 on some of their sides, so, just in case...

asuve19, I would try to follow some experienced coaches' advice and, probably, I would also try to read "1000 losses", from Wreckage: here you are in case you need it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ednwzorq89gc4g/1000%20losses%20ed1.pdf
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2023 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

As an aside, RNG dice are better than physical dice used on TT. Real dice can have flaws and unbalances. RNG dice are not affected by the wear and tear real dice suffer.
 Jump to: