23 coaches online • Server time: 04:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
But with seasons, your team will be cut before the next one so you may as well go for it.
Only if it's not a "keeper" player. Sometimes you know exactly who you're going to redraft and you become an even bigger pixelhugger when it comes to the guy who randomed into Tackle, Block, and Mighty Blow all at half price.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I organise the Madhobbit tabletop league. This is a very active league dating back to 2003. We always played progression style. But the latest ruleset has changed this. The underpriced and overpowered Star Players are to blame most here.

We are now playing 4 month open seasons where you can play as much as you like against anyone you like.
You and your opponent agree on an upcoming tournament ruleset to use in your game beforehand.
You get a coach ranking similar to how the NAF the naf rankings are constructed.
At the end of a season top 4 play semi finals in either the Eurobowl or World Cup ruleset. Every coach starts with a fresh ranking in a new season.

We are really enjoying this system and our results in the tournaments we actively visit have never been better.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
koadah wrote:
But with seasons, your team will be cut before the next one so you may as well go for it.
Only if it's not a "keeper" player. Sometimes you know exactly who you're going to redraft and you become an even bigger pixelhugger when it comes to the guy who randomed into Tackle, Block, and Mighty Blow all at half price.

Heh, heh. So, pixel hugging lives. Very Happy

Do random skills still cost half price for redraft purposes?

Schwifty wrote:

Good games I'm sure but half of the old blood bowl spirit seems to be dying. Sad

How about re-pricing the stars?

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Do random skills still cost half price for redraft purposes?

Yes, they cost half price.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

My (perhaps controversial) opinion is that there is not a huge amount of difference in how one should approach the game between the formats, especially now, in BB2020.

When I began playing resurrection BB, having played years of progression on FUMBBL, I was surprised by the risks opponents would take to win the game that had been trained out of me by my online experience. Marking with the whole team, dodging into a cage on a 5+ with a Wrestle Witch, blitzing early in turns with Big Guys, etc. These things were a bit alien (and perhaps ‘wrong’) to me, as I had been trained in the finest of lowest possible risk LRB4 traditions (TT at that point was LRB 5, moving into CRP).

In the end, I decided that I needed to incorporate more of the resurrection style into my progression BB, as winning right now, today, is what it’s all about. Worrying about tomorrow and the theoretical bogeyman of losing future games because of missing players is the enemy of maximising your overall number of wins. Ditto with skill selections; we used to see endless threads speculating on what players would become ‘eventually’, forgetting that there is another game tomorrow to think about and taking the skill that helps your team now is the most important thing. Take Strip Ball on that Gutter Runner now, if that’s what you think will win you a game, looking at your team and your TV, don’t think about eventually having a Blodge, Side-Step, Diving Tackle guy because you ‘need one of those’ later.

Rulesets have encouraged and rewarded more aggressive risk management over time. In LRB4, you took care because DP 2+ would clean you up on the first big swing caused by an ill-advised positioning arrangement or error. There was no Loner safety net with Big Guys. Journeymen and a better inducement system arrived to prop you up in the event of disaster in a previous game, so why not play with a little more contact? PO encouraged accelerating the game; trying to win now while you had players, rather than waiting for better that may not arrive later. Now we have BB2020, multiple re-rolls rewarding the big, aggressive moment and the safety net of very cheap stars, should your team take a battering. You can still win games by iteratively out-playing your opponent by a small margin each turn, but it is slightly rarer than it once was; being decisive / proactive is being rewarded more often (sadly, in my opinion, at least). I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the good coaches I’ve played who found the game via BB2 are aggressive, rather than passive in nature.

The open divisions we have on FUMBBL are, obviously, a slightly different environment and they are systems that can be gamed in their own way. But if you’re weighing up whether or not you should risk your best player on a 1 % play to win the game in any format, I suggest you do it. Tomorrow is another day; win right now.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

If I have a one turner on my Elf team, playing passive defence or not defending at all makes me win or tie more than losing.
I tried aggressive defence, it just doesn't work most of times with BB2020 (due to several factors: BH lower chance than old ruleset, Leap nerf, Blitz! nerf, fouling improvement, multiple rrs helping bash teams more than Elven teams to recover from a bad situation, Kick at 20 TV is too expensive, so I want it as random skill). Opponent scores anyway, 2nd Half gets harder because of the players injured on defence, loss chance increases.
I talk about progression BB, not resurrection format.
Moreover, since now there is the multiple rr rule, do I really want to waste all my rrs or some of them in the ditch sacking attempt (or general defence attempt), or is it better to save the rrs to try to score the 1TTD (or score in 2 turns in case of Time-Out event)?
With old ruleset, if I had 2 rrs left on turn 7 (for instance) I could try a cage-dive using a rr, now I think twice about it because I could need that rr on turn 8 for the 1TTD.
That said, I could try aggressive defence on Half 2 with Elves because, if the defence fails and I have not enough players, then the game is over and I risk just a tie, not a loss, but on Half 1 in my opinion is not that advantageous, most of times.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
My (perhaps controversial) opinion is that there is not a huge amount of difference in how one should approach the game between the formats, especially now, in BB2020.

When I began playing resurrection BB, having played years of progression on FUMBBL, I was surprised by the risks opponents would take to win the game that had been trained out of me by my online experience. Marking with the whole team, dodging into a cage on a 5+ with a Wrestle Witch, blitzing early in turns with Big Guys, etc. These things were a bit alien (and perhaps ‘wrong’) to me, as I had been trained in the finest of lowest possible risk LRB4 traditions (TT at that point was LRB 5, moving into CRP).

In the end, I decided that I needed to incorporate more of the resurrection style into my progression BB, as winning right now, today, is what it’s all about. Worrying about tomorrow and the theoretical bogeyman of losing future games because of missing players is the enemy of maximising your overall number of wins. Ditto with skill selections; we used to see endless threads speculating on what players would become ‘eventually’, forgetting that there is another game tomorrow to think about and taking the skill that helps your team now is the most important thing. Take Strip Ball on that Gutter Runner now, if that’s what you think will win you a game, looking at your team and your TV, don’t think about eventually having a Blodge, Side-Step, Diving Tackle guy because you ‘need one of those’ later.

Rulesets have encouraged and rewarded more aggressive risk management over time. In LRB4, you took care because DP 2+ would clean you up on the first big swing caused by an ill-advised positioning arrangement or error. There was no Loner safety net with Big Guys. Journeymen and a better inducement system arrived to prop you up in the event of disaster in a previous game, so why not play with a little more contact? PO encouraged accelerating the game; trying to win now while you had players, rather than waiting for better that may not arrive later. Now we have BB2020, multiple re-rolls rewarding the big, aggressive moment and the safety net of very cheap stars, should your team take a battering. You can still win games by iteratively out-playing your opponent by a small margin each turn, but it is slightly rarer than it once was; being decisive / proactive is being rewarded more often (sadly, in my opinion, at least). I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the good coaches I’ve played who found the game via BB2 are aggressive, rather than passive in nature.

The open divisions we have on FUMBBL are, obviously, a slightly different environment and they are systems that can be gamed in their own way. But if you’re weighing up whether or not you should risk your best player on a 1 % play to win the game in any format, I suggest you do it. Tomorrow is another day; win right now.

Wholeheartedly agree. Very well said.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2023 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Randoms are another big differentiator between progression and resurrection style play. Usually in res formats you can't take randoms, but in prog formats the sense of whom to random up and which randoms to keep is a big deal. This edition really rewards coaches who can make the most out of the skills they get, while tournaments are more like older editions, where picking the right skill is the only factor.