39 coaches online • Server time: 01:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you think that timeout:
Should be always called without any warning
13%
 13%  [ 24 ]
Should be always called but never the first time (1 warning max)
17%
 17%  [ 31 ]
Should be called only if happen too often in a game
40%
 40%  [ 72 ]
Should be never called
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
Each coach should agree before the match how to manage the timeout csll
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Pie!!!!
10%
 10%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 180

mekutata

Post   Posted: May 26, 2023 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

One should get 1d6 minutes per turn and for the final 30 seconds client should begin flashing and play really loud warning siren. Instead of a timeout button I suggest a dislike button. Usually hits harder in the heart. Kuntz was a german football player.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2023 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a bit slow. In C or box I occasionally go over 4 mins, though very rarely and not by much. For that reason I don't time people out. Might do if I thought my opponent was sufficiently experienced and repeatedly went over time, though certainly wouldn't without warning first. I think issuing a warning seems to be the convention in Fumbbl which is as it should be and I can't see how anyone could resent it.

Its just a bloody game.

Also referees have no discretion over sending people off for headbutts.

Last edited by Halfabrain on May 26, 2023 - 16:49; edited 1 time in total
MerryZ

Post   Posted: May 26, 2023 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
One should get 1d6 minutes per turn and for the final 30 seconds client should begin flashing and play really loud warning siren. Instead of a timeout button I suggest a dislike button. Usually hits harder in the heart. Kuntz was a german football player.

Best post on this thread.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2023 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Spence wrote:
Joost wrote:
I honestly don't get what the problem is with simply informing the opponent when it is so, so simple to do.

I don't disagree with this, and it's clearly the best current solution. But, it's also wearing to potentially provoke the argument before you know it's necessary (which I suspect is why people tend to warn at 3 min than pregame). It's kinda like asking for Chess Clocks at a TT game. You *can* do it, but then you're perceived as the **** instead of it simply being the standard.

You don't see referees at a football match saying to the players beforehand, "BTW, I send off for headbutts"

True. But it is not as clear cut as you might think.

- First: the 4 mins rule does not exist in the current ruleset.

- Second: the vast majority of players also play in live tournaments. And NAF (which is by and far the largest live bloodbowl organization in the world) very rarely if ever at all enforces a turn timeout in its events. They enforce a MATCH time, but not a turn time. And it's been like that for years, even when the 4-mins rule was theoretically active. You won't find a 4 mins turn rule in the World Cup. You won't find it in the Eurobowl. You won't find it in the NAF Championship. Just to name the three most important live events).

These things considered, I think that wasting five seconds of your time to tell yout opponent "Mind you, I'm going to time you out at 4 mins. Good game." is the reasonable behaviour, while assuming him to expect it is not.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2023 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

HaruHaru wrote:
Jimmy, you are insufferable.
I'm sad that you seem to have started playing on fumbbl again because you're actively bad for the hobby.

You're the type of person who when teaching another person a board game you will actively avoid telling someone about a rule in order to Gotcha' them in order to win.

Just like MattDakka, you enjoy beating weaker players because it makes you feel powerful and I'm not sure why, I'm positive that you should see someone for that though.

Was this self edited or by an admin? And if it was an admin, then are ridiculous personal attacks OK? Just a bit of swearing bad?
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 26, 2023 - 22:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It was edited by an admin. And while personally I don't mind a bit of swearing, there are rules and I couldn't leave that one hanging.

Ridiculous personal attacks are not OK. However, sanctions over such attacks are not generally made public.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 26, 2023 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe could have deleted the whole thing.
It did give me a good laugh, but I think it's a bad comment to leave up.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2023 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Then they'd have to delete all the comments about Dakka. It would take them weeks.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok how's this for a practical suggestion:

Before anyone can use the time out button, it needs to be activated. Only needs to be activated once for the whole game, activating by either player makes it available to both.

There's a, say, 30s period between activation and the button becoming available.

Then instead of "aw, yeah, people ought to give a warning, but let's not make any kind of consequences if they don't" it's built into the client. And if you don't want to wait 30s, press it at the start of the game.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidestepping the vast majority of the thread, if we are to retain the timer, I quite like that idea Irgy (he says, having no idea how hard it would be to implement).

Someone has to actively press the ‘make the timeout available’ button. There is a pop-up telling both coaches it’s available for use, 30 s cool-down so that it can’t be sneakily switched on at 3:59 in a turn and then ‘surprise’ used at 4:00. Maybe make it 60 s so it gives newcomers more warning while they’re getting used to the client.

With the exception of the ardent ‘it’s not in the rules, it should not exist’ faction, does this not solve all problems?
koadah

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

No. It doesn't. Not unless it needs to be activated every turn.

Having a more visible clock and a visible and audible warning at 3:30 would reduce the number times people even get to 4:00 in the first place.

It is a good idea though.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly I would not like clicking the time out button every game to activate it. There is already lot of skill marking to do at start of each game, I don't want to remember to activate the button as well.
An official site rule would fix the: "I didn't know I could have been timed out at 4 minutes" issue.
You are supposed to read and accept all the site rules. Either add to site rules (https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=help&op=rules) the possibility of being timed out at 4 minutes and the hassle of informing people every game is removed or just make the time out automatic, as it should be.
A non-automatic time out can be exploited by writing "AFK" in chat even if you are still there thinking about the turn, so the automatic time out would be the best.

Last edited by MattDakka on May 27, 2023 - 11:44; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Honestly I would not like clicking the time out button every game to activate it. There is already lot of skill marking to do at start of each game, I don't want to remember to activate the button as well.

This is why people think you are unreasonable. It would take a SINGLE CLICK to solve your issue, and you claim it's too much work. There's no compromise with people like you.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I think unreasonable a non-automatic time out. If you enforce it, people can get caught flat-footed in case they didn't expect it and they could start raging or griefing. Thus you have to warn them in advance (another hassle, because you have to inform them every game). If they expect it, then they can cheat by writing in chat: "AFK" while they are actually calculating the best scoring sequence with SAC or something like that.
BB Cyanide has automatic time out and nobody complains about it.
HaruHaru

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The hypothetical activation button would be the warning and you just said no to that too.
 Jump to: