38 coaches online • Server time: 10:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azure

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that WIL uses the R/P/S system.

Currently:
Category Rock teams (16): Dwarf (1); Chaos Dwarf (3); Orc (4); Chaos (3); Undead (4); Khemri (1).

Category Scissors teams (18 ): Lizardmen (5); Necromantic (4); Norse (2); Skaven (3); Nurgle (1).

Category Paper teams (11): Dark Elf (2); High Elf (0); Wood Elf (0); Elf (1); Human (4); Amazon (4).

Category Dynamite teams (1): Ogre (NA); Vampire (1); Goblin (0); Halfling (0).

So the additions are:
Rock teams added: (16+3 = 19)
1 Khermi
1 C. Dwarves
1 Dwarf

Scissors teams added: (18+1 = 19)
1 Necro

Paper teams added: (11+8 = 19)
1 Human
5 Dark Elf
1 Wood Elf
1 High Elf

Dynamite teams added: (1+2 = 3)
2 Vampire

So, looks like a lot of paper teams get destroyed and so most of the new recruits are in the paper catagory. However, within the paper it would now be:

Dark Elf (7)
High Elf (1)
Wood Elf (1)
Elf (1)
Human (5)
Amazon (4)

Anyway, seems like lots of dark elves, that can get boring to play the same team over and over again, as one of the dark elves, I will switch to wood elves instead if that would be better for everyone.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

/me slaps his head.

There should be a limit of 6 teams of one race, seems I let in one too many Darkie teams (it's my first go, sorry!). If Azure wishes to switch to Woodies, sweet, that would fix it.

To be honest, I was trying to stick to the 1/3 of each type (approx) and dropped the Darkie ball.
Chewie

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Purp in n00b shock! Razz
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Chewie wrote:
Purp in n00b shock! Razz

These things happen on a first attempt. We did have a lot more spaces to fill than usual this season. Sad
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

w00tage, there will be other vampires to meet.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure I agree with Azure's figures there, I have it written down at;

Rock 18 (Chaos 3, CD 4, Dorf 2, Khem 2, Orc 3 (Koadah's Orcs are leaving after the Plate), Undead 4)

Scissors 16 (Lizzie 5, Necro 5, Norse 2, Nurgle 1, Rat 3)

Paper 19 (Zon 4, DE 6, Elf 1, Humie 5, Woodie 2 (assuming Azure is fine to switch), High 1)

With 3 Vamps = 56.
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Chewie wrote:
Purp in n00b shock! Razz

Where's the shock exactly? Smile

mutteryouwouldn'tgetthisintheobbamutter

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

SeraphimRed wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Purp in n00b shock! Razz

Where's the shock exactly? Smile

mutteryouwouldn'tgetthisintheobbamutter

Thank you, thank you, a micro error, nothing to see here! Smile

Now shush before I kick you. Wink
Chewie

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

/me kicks Purp the n00b. Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2008 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

If the coach that used to be known as Murraywolfmax reads this, or anyone that knows him, please PM me with your new coach nick if you wish to be kept on the waiting list. You changed coach nick after I deleted your PM, so when I tried to contact you today, I couldn't find you! Very Happy
Azrahn

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2008 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

After a bit of a discussion in IRC about the current promotion/relegation system between the Regionals and Conferences it was suggested to post here to get some general feedback from the whole WIL community.

Currently there are three teams promoted/relegated between the Conferences and Regionals each season. The idea is that it might be better to reduce this number to two. There are several reasons behind this:

1. Teams wont be promoted too soon. When this happens coaches often get tired of being the underdogs and it just leads to drop outs.

2. It'll reduce the impact of drop outs. Currently a team dropping out of the Conferences amplifies the first problem as more teams are promoted before they're ready.

3. Makes the Conferences more the "meat" of the league. With more teams staying in the Conferences it gives them more of a chance to build and hence possibly compete for Premiership places. If you keep bouncing between the Regionals and Conferences the TR capping means you're unlikely ever to make the Premiership.

I'm sure everyone else has something to say on the matter so I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, just to say congratulations to popcorn and his leaping wagon! Wink
PeteW

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2008 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice post Azrahn - apologies for not replying sooner, but this might be a better thread!

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10918

but doesn;t really matter. I'll post more when I have time. Wife wants a walk now!

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2008 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I second Azrahn's motion. I think being promoted out of the regionals should be a solid accomplishment. Right now, with 3 (and many times 4) teams being promoted, it doesn't feel that way. And it also causes teams to get promoted too soon and then shredded (see Cribble's wood elves). And I also don't like seeing 3 teams get demoted from the conferences, and having to shed TR. 25% demotion to tier 3 is a large enough amount to keep things dangerous.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2008 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting points. Time for some Devil's advocate!

Azrahn wrote:
After a bit of a discussion in IRC about the current promotion/relegation system between the Regionals and Conferences it was suggested to post here to get some general feedback from the whole WIL community.

Currently there are three teams promoted/relegated between the Conferences and Regionals each season. The idea is that it might be better to reduce this number to two. There are several reasons behind this:

1. Teams wont be promoted too soon. When this happens coaches often get tired of being the underdogs and it just leads to drop outs.

Hmm - the example of Cribble's Woodies last season springs to mind (and boy, did he pick the wrong Conference there!), but other than that, not too many others that have gone up, been broken and dropped out, unless anyone can correct me? Certainly 'often' isn't too accurate. We have a reasonable turnover of coaches (last season to this was 9 / 56), but very few of those seem to me to leave us due to having a bad season. The majority seem to stick in there and work at it.

Azrahn wrote:
2. It'll reduce the impact of drop outs. Currently a team dropping out of the Conferences amplifies the first problem as more teams are promoted before they're ready.

Drop outs are always going to be an issue. People have real lives, and it’s impossible to spot whether a coach is in for the long haul or not. It's amplified this season because we had quite a few restarters, so the mean TS of the Conferences is pretty low. This also had the side effect of more than usual going up, and as such having tough seasons ahead.

Azrahn wrote:
3. Makes the Conferences more the "meat" of the league. With more teams staying in the Conferences it gives them more of a chance to build and hence possibly compete for Premiership places. If you keep bouncing between the Regionals and Conferences the TR capping means you're unlikely ever to make the Premiership.

Are there that many yo-yo teams? I think promoted teams should always have to work hard to establish themselves at a new tier. Teams that get promoted to the Conferences should have to spend a season ‘digging in’ as it were, and even more so when they reach the Prem. Building at a stableish level should be a perk of coaching well, not a given, surely?

As for the Conferences being the meat of the league, that's true now. However, in the next round of recruitment, if we get 20 coaches desperate to join, expansion becomes an issue, and I suppose we'd be better off going 1:3:4 than 1:4:3? Then if you've dropped relegated sides to two, you're only getting one promoted from each Regional by right. Perhaps we need to keep the future in mind?

Azrahn wrote:
I'm sure everyone else has something to say on the matter so I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, just to say congratulations to popcorn and his leaping wagon! Wink

I think there's two parts to this. When I was rebuilding in the Conferences for the last two seasons, it was really tough staying in there, and every season I looked at the league and said to myself "Boy - they're a really good side with a great coach. What a shame they're going down because they've had a bad run. Maybe three down is too many?". But at the same time, there has to be plenty of incentive for Regional coaches to get on in the league. Naturally better coaches will move up easier, but the league is for everyone, and everyone likes a bit of success once in a while, right?

Plenty to think about, and if after a while it looks like there is mood for change, this might be our first ever rules change vote! Very Happy

Thanks for starting the debate Azrahn, I hope everyone chips in.
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2008 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I just gotta say that Ive been in the WIL for 4 seasons now and think it's one of the best leagues out there. The format is tried and tested and for me it has worked a charm. My orcs have had some bad luck (my win% is dysmal to say the least) but I have still had a great time playing some good and fun coaches. We've all started from the bottom and it takes a while to work up to the top. And not all get there. Speaking of tat I think I'm heading for a demotion again...

Jump to: