79 coaches online • Server time: 21:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2008 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not in at the moment but 2 up 2 down sounds good to me.

If we do go to 1:3:4 that still looks like 2 up (plus 1) from the regionals.

I wouldn't want to get promoted too early from the regionals. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2008 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the WIL has been going for quite a while now with this format and whether it's top 2 or top 3 I don't see many people not gunning to try and make promotion, and hence be disappointed to go up despite being underdogs next season.

Personally speaking, the OBBA has just moved to 3up/down and this has been warmly welcomed by our coaches and considered to be more exciting and competative for it. I'm currently, desperately, trying to avoid the chop! Sad
Time will tell whether this was a good move but so far so good.

In short: I'd stick with the format.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

pac

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2008 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Azrahn wrote:
1. Teams wont be promoted too soon. When this happens coaches often get tired of being the underdogs and it just leads to drop outs.

2. It'll reduce the impact of drop outs. Currently a team dropping out of the Conferences amplifies the first problem as more teams are promoted before they're ready.

3. Makes the Conferences more the "meat" of the league. With more teams staying in the Conferences it gives them more of a chance to build and hence possibly compete for Premiership places. If you keep bouncing between the Regionals and Conferences the TR capping means you're unlikely ever to make the Premiership.

These points are all potentially valid, but to an extent they contradict each other:

- If you're having lots of drop-outs (or restarts) from the Conferences (leading to teams being promoted from the Regionals too soon) then the 'relegated' teams will be the ones which dropped out. This means that no one will yo-yo between Conferences and Regionals as virtually everyone who wants to carry on with the same team will stay up.

- Conversely, if the problem is that too many teams are yo-yoing, then this suggests that the teams being promoted are not too inexperienced after all (because they would have been TR 150 at the start of a Regional season and had a season of matches versus equal or weaker teams to build up).

As to solutions, if you reduce promotion slots so teams won't be promoted too early, this won't help if lots of Conference teams drop out anyway - someone will have to fill up those slots.

On the other hand, if you reduce promotion slots and there aren't many droppers you may find that these slots are indeed monopolized by the same few teams yo-yoing between Regionals and Conferences. We don't want to make the Conferences as hard to get into as the Premier division.

All that being said, I agree with the principle that the Conferences should be the 'meat' of the league. 150-200(+) TR is probably the most interesting (and evenly matched between all the rosters) bracket to play in, so it makes sense that as many teams as possible should be there. However, trends of coach behaviour are hard to predict, and a move made to solve one perceived problem may end up making another one worse as things go in another direction. One season we promote too many teams, putting some in over their heads; the next season we compensate and promote too few, leaving some stuck cutting back at Regional level.

The league structure is based on a few principles which are in a lot of tension with each other:

* All teams should join new at TR 100 (to ensure a fair playing field).
* The top division should be uncapped (so that the big trophy is fought over by big teams).
* There should be no more than three tiers (to minimize the minimum number of seasons required to get to the top of the league with a new team).
* Keep all divisions at eight teams each (to ensure equal season length and a season length with a good 'attention span').
* and others ...

This creates a situation with a lot of stresses: TR 100 teams facing TR 150 teams; TR 150 teams facing TR 200 teams. But it just about works, and changing any one aspect of it creates problem somewhere else. (For example, add a fourth tier and you make the intra-divisional match-ups less painful, but you also make the top division a very distant prospect for even the best-coached new team.)

In conclusion ... one thing I might suggest doing is adding another Conference to make a 1-4-3 or 1-4-4 structure. However, this should wait until there are more than enough teams to fill that fourth Conference - I think the third was added too soon leading to too many early promotions.

Whatever the system, someone somewhere is always going to end up on the wrong end of a stick: promoted too soon, or forced to cut when they deserved promotion. We can try to minimize this, but in the end we rely on our coaches having the 'right stuff' to play on. Smile

(Excuse my '-ize's - I'm in office typing mode.)
Meech

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2008 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I have no interest in joining your league pac!

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2008 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
I have no interest in joining your league pac!

Okay, I'll ask Purplegoo to add you to the shortlist. Smile
Fool

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2008 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't want to join either.
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2008 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Maine is feasible - Thailand is right out! Very Happy
Meech

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2008 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not allowed to taunt in the NWL thread, so I will bring it here!

PeteW wrote:

hi there. me again. Very Happy

If you are implying that I am one of these crutch guys, then you might want to look at the results for the LRB5 tournament "Blood Bowl Grand Tournament". I had some small success there.

Talk about crutch, that was so last year, get over yourself!

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2008 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
I am not allowed to taunt in the NWL thread, so I will bring it here!

look you NWL guys are being just cruel now. 1st you ask us not to post in that thread anymore and then you keep posting ludicrously half-baked and downright stupid ideas.

I think you're doing it on purpose just to taunt us Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be interested in joining
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hang fire and watch this thread for a week, Sparkini. I'll shortly open recruitment.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
watch this thread for a week

Man, the entry criteria is getting tough Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Sparkini

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2008 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Will do.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2008 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Bump!

And we're open for Season 9 recruitment. Please refer to the first post for details.
krytie

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2008 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm up for this.