55 coaches online • Server time: 00:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jimjo

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

well the baseline system is not perfect....
my d.elf with 250 teamstrengh never get any orc with the same rating....thats not fair.....
Kryten

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 00:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with that, I find myself either hunting for 155+ coaches and higher TS OR randomly poor coaches with randomly near TS (perhaps skewed toward them being lower)

I'm not sure if this is how the system is intended, but it's what I find myself doing Smile

Of course, if I want to be in the running I need to do a better job at getting baseline matches, I haven't really tried hard for that yet.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

My elves have been stuck in the minors tournament where I got a good game but it didnt meet the baseline.... actually, come to think of it I didnt type that silly message into the match report... I'll do that now Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Shinan

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

How many of you have gotten one of these though? Not often you see them eh Very Happy It pays to be in tourneys occasionally.

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
My elves have been stuck in the minors tournament where I got a good game but it didnt meet the baseline.... actually, come to think of it I didnt type that silly message into the match report... I'll do that now Smile

Silly? Silly!!!? You're silly, you silly silly SillySod! Shocked

BTW, as much as I like the new scoring system, it has become much harder to find a proper ELF match-up, especially when my team has players missing and a bad TR/TS differential. Dunno if it's a problem yet. My initial feeling is that the CR limit should be 151 instead of 155, making it a bit easier to find baseline matches. We'll see.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Kryten wrote:
I agree with that, I find myself either hunting for 155+ coaches and higher TS OR randomly poor coaches with randomly near TS (perhaps skewed toward them being lower)

I'm not sure if this is how the system is intended, but it's what I find myself doing Smile

Of course, if I want to be in the running I need to do a better job at getting baseline matches, I haven't really tried hard for that yet.

Yep I've found it's exactly the same with me. Out of 7 matches with my pro elves I've had 2 baseline games. I lost both of those 2-1.

I've had a few games where one of the baseline conditions was met too.

Actually I really like the change- it means you can either go for a possibly easier game or go for the extra points. If the season becomes really competitive you will have to get great wins WITH the baseline bonus: which is really hard!

Definitely in favour of the baseline +10 bonus.
edit: that said, I haven't played with a high TR/TS team where it might be too hard to get...
Wilf

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Uppitty What What becomes the highest scoring High Elf team in 13th place with 40 points as the other races seems to be getting more love.

Hurray \o/
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

MadTias wrote:
SillySod wrote:

Silly? Silly!!!? You're silly, you silly silly SillySod! Shocked

BTW, as much as I like the new scoring system, it has become much harder to find a proper ELF match-up, especially when my team has players missing and a bad TR/TS differential. Dunno if it's a problem yet. My initial feeling is that the CR limit should be 151 instead of 155, making it a bit easier to find baseline matches. We'll see.

I haven't played any 'open' games yet but I think that 155 makes it all seem a bit more 'serious'. You can still take the non baseline games if they are all you can get. You can upgrade to a baseline game later if you have time.

Maybe could do with a tweak for high and very high TS. 10 or 20 TS doesn't mean so much to the big teams.

Doh! I forgot the tournament code too!

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the TS +- 40 rule for games to count in Ranked is ignored if both teams have TS > 249.

Maybe we could ignore TS for the purposes of counting as a baseline game when both teams have TS > 249.

[It would be quick, easy change for me to do to the scoring calc program.]
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that if we have all the ELF coaches actively seeking out tough games it will be a success, its just a matter of people getting used to finding those games.

I think the tournament bonus is an excellent one because (as well as the time it takes) it restricts your choice of opponent, often you wont get the baseline score and you might get opponents for categories that you have already scored highly in. Basicly, where I didnt see the value before, I can see it very clearly now Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2008 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

ELF accepts 3 more teams:

1 Longshanks [ R] Lords Lament 110 High Elf
2 Manbush [ R] Stony Man Doctrine 252 Elf
3 Olaf_the_Stout [ R] My Name Is Elf 235 Dark Elf

Happy hunting!

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2008 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

i so rarely check CR i just can;t get used to doing it. i played a game today giving up ts to be baseline then after the game realised the coach was 154.84 GUTTED 0.16 short of 10 extra points GRRRRR Sad
3 games played and only 1 baseline (that i lost) I think it makes points harder to come by even for lower tr/ts teams recovery games should be eaqsy to find baseline tho (just remember to check CR first, silly me)

pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2008 - 05:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeppan enters the Wood Elf team IFK Gothenburg.

Just under a week left to get your experienced elf team in on the action!

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2008 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh...sweet memories...when I founded the ELF years ago, it was to answer the common perception of the time that "elf coaches will NEVER play against any non-elf team". That first season was an even bigger success than I ever imagined, and when real-life time constraints forced me to take a sabbatical from BB for a time, I turned the reins over to pizzamogul. Looks like he didn't just keep things running, but he's making changes, always bringing in new blood, and keep the league not only alive, but vibrant and easily recognizable across all of fumbbl.

Almost makes a coach wanna cry, seeing his baby all grown up and still kicking arse...

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2008 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Ufff getting baseline games is really hard at TS 280. I dont even wanna think about what a Chaos or Dwarf looks like at TS 280 or more.

I will keep trying though. So far I found one but perhaps I can get more in the Mayor that is coming up.
 Jump to: