21 coaches online • Server time: 04:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

After having heard everything and more about the temple guard and the problem with the spps it creates, basically making the winning team less prone to ageing by making the saurus its main ballcarrier, I'd love to know if the Lustria Prize for this year will somehow be fixed or not.

Will the winner of the Lustrian Challenge get exactly the same reward as the Eaters did in 2007?

Admins?

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest moving the temple guard to this years winners team and lets him gain SPP and age, skills and aging..should do it
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesnt the issue of being main ball carrier come more from the fact that he joined a Dwarf team ?
Would this be the case if it was a pretty solid elf team ?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst wrote:
Doesnt the issue of being main ball carrier come more from the fact that he joined a Dwarf team ?

I don't know.
I have my opinion but this post wasn't intended to be the start of a flame war against the Lustrian prize. It was just a question. I want to know the opinion of Angie and Christer about this, and if they have an opinion at all.

Also, I'm curious because I'll take part in the Lustrian Challenge and no doubt I'll win it Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I had the Temple Guard over for a BBQ last night and after we were mid way through the second bottle of red wine he really opened up and admitted that all this pressure is starting to get to him. He just isnt enjoying the game as much as he used to when he was just the Temple Attendant.
Lets stop kidding ourselves, professional sports is hard work! I say we give him a break.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Thing is - I think the prize was fine as it stands.

If the team that won it actually played any games, it wouldn't still be alive, would it?

Imagine if Vimes' Rats had won him, he'd be long gone. It's only becuase inactive Dorfs (and bear in mind Dorfs had never won one before so it wan't really a consideration) won it that it's much of a spp hogging issue! Very Happy

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %31, %2008 - %12:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Kinks

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst wrote:

Surely he would much prefer to play for a Lizardman team. Wouldn't he try and rig the matches to ensure that a Lizarman team won?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, purplegoo, I'm not judging the prize in the competitive eaters environment.

I'm judging the prize as it is. All bloodbowl is about uncertainty. The only attainable level of "immortality" is by becoming a legend and never age. Only in that case, you are safe from the hands of fate (in the sense of pre-game and post game sequences, i.e. ageing). And when you reach that point, you usually are worth so many TR points that you become a liability for the team.

Now, a 20 spps thing that will never age, will never grow and will never inflate your TR is somehow against the spirit of "evolution" and constant change that bloodbowl is about.

All this, of course, in my opinion. It's the "concept" of a thing that doesn't risk ageing and that doesn't grow in importance, that is somehow wrong. Death on the pitch is not the only random event in bloodbowl. Ageing and team management have a huge impact too.

Imagine the ulthuan prize: Ring of Immortality, which grants a player of your choice the automatic success for all its remaining ageing rolls. Wouldn't it be cool?
Now, imagine the same ring: Ring of Stasis, which grants a player of your choice the automatic success for all its remaining ageing rolls AND cancels it from TR calculation. Now, that's what I'd call "a bit too much".

Again: I just want an answer from the admins in charge of the Lustrian. This thing has been addressed a lot in the past year, and I think it would be fair to hear some official words before the tournament starts. Of course, silence can be official as well, but I think a couple words would be nicer.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a cool prize. It's a powerful prize. But it's a prize that in an active team wouldn't last that long.

I see your points, honestly I do, but I don't think it's as good as (say) the FC prizes. This has been talked about a lot this year - but only because Jack won it, played the FC and then only ever played again on the birthday (presumably, we'll all get a chance at RIPping it when he rolls them out again for this years FC... But let's not go down the birthday road!).

I still say that if any other race had won the thing last year and stayed active, sploosh within a couple of months, conversation over.

However, I don't really mind either way. I mean, it's only a Major afterall.
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the prize has to change.
My main reason for this is that I am a fluffer at heart and I do not think that a second temple guard should be going out.

I also am not judging the CE in any way. Any team / coach that won 2 tourneys has done enough to silence the critics already !
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

All that I'm sure is that on the Hellfish he wouldn't last a week.
Those LoA hunters are nasty Laughing

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2008 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see the point of it beeing canceled out of TR calculation. Are there any good reasons for this?

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2008 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Try not to stop reading only because there is some point of different quotes. Try to read it as ONE sentence:

JanMattys wrote:
Imagine the ulthuan prize: Ring of Stasis, which grants a player of your choice the automatic success for all its remaining ageing rolls AND cancels it from TR calculation...

AoP-Vimes wrote:
...and now...

Purplegoo wrote:
...imagine if Vimes' Rats had won him, he'd be long gone....

AoP-Vimes wrote:
...because...

JanMattys wrote:
...Those LoA hunters are nasty Laughing

I have something to say here.

1st: Yes, they might be nasty.

2nd: I might have faced em once in a while.

3rd: You might have hitten a wound.

4th @Purplegoo: Do you think im careless with my team? Or do you thank me for playing with my team for not getting overpowered ones? Or do you even try to say, that rats are some sort of fragile? Do you wanna go out of this "virtual hall of peace" to have some sort of less family friendly "chat"?

5th: Dont take this serious, im kidding.

Twisted Evil 6th again@purplegoo: Your on my list. Twisted Evil

---> I have proven the opposite!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2008 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

AoP-Vimes wrote:
Try not to stop reading only because there is some point of different quotes. Try to read it as ONE sentence:

JanMattys wrote:
Imagine the ulthuan prize: Ring of Stasis, which grants a player of your choice the automatic success for all its remaining ageing rolls AND cancels it from TR calculation...

AoP-Vimes wrote:
...and now...

Purplegoo wrote:
...imagine if Vimes' Rats had won him, he'd be long gone....

AoP-Vimes wrote:
...because...

JanMattys wrote:
...Those LoA hunters are nasty Laughing

I have something to say here.

1st: Yes, they might be nasty.

2nd: I might have faced em once in a while.

3rd: You might have hitten a wound.

4th @Purplegoo: Do you think im careless with my team? Or do you thank me for playing with my team for not getting overpowered ones? Or do you even try to say, that rats are some sort of fragile? Do you wanna go out of this "virtual hall of peace" to have some sort of less family friendly "chat"?

5th: Dont take this serious, im kidding.

Twisted Evil 6th again@purplegoo: Your on my list. Twisted Evil

I know you are joking, but purplegoo was actually paying you a compliment. Reading between the lines, he's saying you are playing your team how it should be (in his opinion of course).
AoP-Vimes

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2008 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Imagine if Vimes' Rats had won him, he'd be long gone.

Imagine if my rats would have been there months before they had been born: They would be immortal right now, leading the alltime player list in all categories and would have beaten up Jackies Dorfs in the first round of the FC blind and left handed. But the last time he ran away screeming...

So back to my point: *grrrrgrrrrpurplegrrrrrsmashgrrrrrgrrrrr*

---> I have proven the opposite!
 Jump to: