36 coaches online • Server time: 08:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Uberskiller

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Main-draw:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=3110

Qualifiers:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=3111

Just wondering...

Shouldnt Fisherking's Magic Mushroom Encounters be part of the tournament as they won the Warpstone Open IV Qualifier X??

Same with Pigstars' PorcyPigs who won the WO IV Qualifier III, Cloggy's Sweetums and Friends who won the Qualifier VII and On1's Doomhooves Deluxe who won the Qualifier IX.

Not sure if i got something with the new draw-thingy wrong, but it was like 13 qualifier-tourney-winners + 3 random drafts?

Last edited by Uberskiller on %b %05, %2009 - %09:%Feb; edited 3 times in total
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me guess: They forgot to apply to the main group?
Reventlov

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:17 Reply with quote Back to top

How can you forget such a thing? If that's true, shame on those coaches.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:22
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

In short they didnt apply to the main Warpstone Open group in time for the draw, and i lack the power to bring them in without admin assistance.

It is clear my communication with the group winners could have been better for four such experienced and quality coaches to miss out.

Lessons will be learned and i will try harder to make things even clearer.

The Warpstone Open draw is the poorer for their loss.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

That isn't just a shame... that's just stupid. I would have rather postpone the whole tournament for a week than start it without the four teams that won their qualifiers.

Last edited by veron on %b %05, %2009 - %09:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I`m not sure, but wouldn`t it been better to invite the finalists that lost instead?
Uberskiller

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, PC, you made it pretty clear that they had to apply:

http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1487&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Quote:
The procedure for starting the main draw will be as follows:
I will accept the 13 winners of the qualifiers into the Warpstone Open IV. If any qualifier winners dont apply to the main tournament, their places will go to the general Lottery.

Maybe writing the winners a standarized personal-message would have been a good addition.

I just asked because i was wondering if there was some kind of bug or something like this in the draw, as there were 4 qualified coaches missing. Finding out that it was just because these 4 missed to apply is rather disappointing though.

Still: Is there any chance to re-made the draw?
I see that you announced that they had to apply, but imho it would be way cooler for all (the players + the community) to see WO-matches with the legitimatly qualified high-skilled players rather than with some random teams. The fascination of major-tournaments is the combination of very strong (ts-alike) teams with very good and skilled coaches playing each other. Right now there are like 5 teams with no chance of winning as they are ridicilously weaker (in terms of ts) than the other participants. I think thats not worthy of a major.

Just speaking for myself and my spectating-joy I'd strongly encourage you to re-make the draw to let all 13 qualified players + 3 random teams (maybe just drawn from the random-teams that are qualified right now?) participate. I think the merits (specs having more fun watching high-quality games; a true competitive tournament-enviroment) beat the flaws (not punishing / giving a 2nd chance to the coaches who were too dumb to apply).

If you'd consider this I'd be happy to help you with the organisation-stuff (like writing all qualified coaches PM's to make sure that they applied this time).
xcver

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I would consider it hilariously stupid if they can't play and to be honest who reads that page once the tournament has started...

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Its a shame but I dont think there were many alternative options around, delaying the main draw would be at least as bad IMO. What amazes me is that it didnt occur to any of the four to ask what was going on or check if they were entered for the tournament or read the news post about the tournament they qualified for. I can see how it might happen but laying the blame at the tournament admins door (which some people are doing) is somewhat unfair.

CircularLogic wrote:
I`m not sure, but wouldn`t it been better to invite the finalists that lost instead?

With any other major I'd agree... but since the warpstone open already has the lottery it makes more sense to expand it than to use any other kind of arbitrary system, it also happened to be the pre-stated policy Smile

Edit: for those people asking for a redraw... I assume you are proposing that four of the golden tickets be withdrawn from people. To be honest this dosent sound great either; taking away (arguably legitimate) golden tickets, contradicting the stated procedure, and taking a "good" draw away from some competitors dosent seem like a recipe for happiness.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %05, %2009 - %10:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Eghost

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Best assumption would be that they expected it to be automatic qualification and that they didn't need to apply themselves. Were they sent a PM like a week before the deadline?
Uberskiller

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as i understood PC there wasnt such a notification via pm.

Still on jan. the 29th there was this big news on the frontpage titled "Fumbbl Tour TR200 & Warpstone Open News" and as a part of that news-article there was the aforementioned (and quoted) announcement that they had to apply.

Still I'm not in this blame-thingy. I honestly dont care whose fault it is or was. All I want (and i guess the majority of the fumbblers are with me in this case) is a really cool, exiting and competitive WO IV. To ensure this there has to be a new draw.

WO IV without piggy, fisherking and cloggy would be like 50% less exciting than with them.
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If almost 1/3 of the qualifiers are missing due to a misunderstanding surely there should be a redraw.

I think people should hold off playing until it is sorted.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree there should be a fix (a one-off thing... even winning coaches have to learn lessons, not only Puplechest).

But that's a pity... Extraordinary Brotherhood vs Ultimate Mr.Men was as sexy a clash as they come...

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

UGH.

It would really be a shame...but as soon as any game is played it is is really too late. And which team from the lottery would be excluded?

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

spelledaren wrote:
UGH.

It would really be a shame...but as soon as any game is played it is is really too late. And which team from the lottery would be excluded?

You could take the teams that "won" the lottery-draw the 1st time and make the 2nd lottery-draw only out them.
 Jump to: