61 coaches online • Server time: 18:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you play to win?
I Play for blood what's the ball?
14%
 14%  [ 349 ]
I play to win a stun is as good as a cas for me during a drive.
29%
 29%  [ 725 ]
Both, blood and glory for me!
56%
 56%  [ 1410 ]
Total Votes : 2484

Bendrig

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Bloody thread necromancers.

Always get a shock untill I see the date of the first post.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Errr... this is a sticky you know there Bendrig

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

erm... whoops?

Never go to the forum proper, always go by the "recent forum topics" thing.

Who, me, lazy? :p
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

For what it's worth, I've thrown all the pertinent stuff into the User Guide. I just trimmed out some of the banter, poll comments and off-topic stuff with as little editing as possible. Still needs some formatting.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

He he no one ever reads it anyway Image

Ah well its the thought that counts...

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

41)Skill re-rolls are fantastic skills to take (and to take advantage of) in many cases. Catch, surehands, pass, dodge, sure feet can be game winners simply because your not using up your team re-rolls.

Generally attempt to pick up the ball with your thrower. His surehands skill will stop you using vital team re-rolls and his pass skill vastly improves the chances os a pass being on target. Surehands is an excellent skill to give to the first beastman to get a skill roll on rotters/chaos teams and on hobgoblins which are part of the chaos dwarf team.

Are you handing off or passing to a certain player alot? (eg your goblin before a throw team mate) If you are then give them catch!!! One of the better re-rolls this helps in many situations and helps minimise turnovers.
It also helps catch bouncing balls, the ball before it lands at the kickoff and interceptions making perhaps it the most usefull skill re-roll.

Surehands is a great skill to give to certain types of players at various stages of their development. For instance on AG4 players it allows you to pick up the ball in opposing players tacklezones with confidence and without risking a team re-roll. On certain teams surehands on a blitzer (once youve gotten him a few more skills like tackle, guard, mighty blow) can be fantastic. They are immune to stripball and can pick up the ball more easily when along way from your thrower.

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2004 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

BLOOD FOR THE BLOODGOD!!!
johan

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2004 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

And the less pleasant but oh-so-important tips:

1. Stall when you have to. Ignore the whining.
2. Foul when you have to. Ignore the whining.
3. If you don't have to, consider fouling anyway. Ignore the whining.

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
Glomp

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2004 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

...and when they do whine, punish them by fouling and stalling Laughing

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

cusi wrote:

2)Do important 2 dice blocks second!
Do not start your drive off with a big guy unless you are out of rerolls. Do not ever roll dice with him first again unless you are out of rerolls! Your blitz should be the most important and well thought out block of your turn. Your Blitz should always be a 2db if you can make it one and should garner you an important field position.

Total n00b here (first post!) but I just discovered FUMBBL today after playing a few games of RL BB and loving it.

I don't get this -- you and a few other people recommend using the BG last, but in my (very) limited experience with a Chaos Dwarf team and a Minotaur, I often throw my block/blitz with the Mino early in the turn. It usually clears the way for a ball carrier to get through, or lots of interference for the enemy team's ballhandling. And the 1 in 6 odds of the WA roll turning against me are a pretty good risk in exchange for a nigh-guaranteed 2-die block. And failing it doesn't result in a turnover, so it's not a big worry for me.

I'd just like more fleshing out of why leading with your BG is a bad idea -- you all seem pretty strong on that point but I'm not sure why.

- Matt
annachie

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It more like when it's absolutely essential that your BG do that block, he will fail his roll and do nothing.

When your BG has to go first, chances are you're relying on him too much and he will fail.

Personally, I love blitzing a RO first move Smile
whitey

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the idea is to set up 2 dice blocks with your non-big guy players, as they can re-roll those pesky double skulls, or skull-pows. Plus with Chaos Dwarfs you have block skill on your blockers, so there is even less risk of a turn over with them rather than the big guy. It's not so much the failed negative skill rolls but the lack of re-rolls for bad blocks.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepherd wrote:
cusi wrote:

2)Do important 2 dice blocks second!
Do not start your drive off with a big guy unless you are out of rerolls. Do not ever roll dice with him first again unless you are out of rerolls! Your blitz should be the most important and well thought out block of your turn. Your Blitz should always be a 2db if you can make it one and should garner you an important field position.

Total n00b here (first post!) but I just discovered FUMBBL today after playing a few games of RL BB and loving it.

I don't get this -- you and a few other people recommend using the BG last, but in my (very) limited experience with a Chaos Dwarf team and a Minotaur, I often throw my block/blitz with the Mino early in the turn. It usually clears the way for a ball carrier to get through, or lots of interference for the enemy team's ballhandling. And the 1 in 6 odds of the WA roll turning against me are a pretty good risk in exchange for a nigh-guaranteed 2-die block. And failing it doesn't result in a turnover, so it's not a big worry for me.

I'd just like more fleshing out of why leading with your BG is a bad idea -- you all seem pretty strong on that point but I'm not sure why.

- Matt

The principe of waryness when blocking with a big guy early in the turn is based on sound principles.

1) You cant use teams re-rolls on big guys. So even with block (always first skill unless you roll a double) the risks of a turnover are reasonably high.

2) The negative traits. Wild Animal, Bonehead, Really Stupid (as long as you have a player next to them) and off for a bite all fail on 1's.

Yes thats a reasonable chance of success, but if your blitz is key to your plans its usually better to get that 2 dice block with other players.

A minotaur smashing into the middle of your opponents cage and/or making a casualty (Frenzy and Mighty Blow both increase the chances of that happening) can be pretty devistating, but it can also cause you problems when that double skulls comes up and you needed that blitz to count.

an early turnover can also leave your players wildly out of position.

The minotaur is the only reasonaly reliable example of this tactic that I can think of. It may be a tactic worth using (and I do) but you do so at your own risk. Always look for better options.

With all other big guys you should always use them as a last resort, unless you realy have no other option (thinking a turn ahead helps).

Big guys are really only usefull as big blockers which tie up multiple players and get in the way. As consistant casualty makers or reliable positionals they are terrible.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. Thanks.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

it's not that important to use the big guy last. It is sometimes usefull to re-position the big guy or make a throwteammate-attempt (just not the player holding the ball) first, as long your bg-move won't cause a turnover (no blocking, blitzing, passing, dodging). if the bonehead-, wa-, reallystupid-negatrait kicks in you can react to the situation and use the backup plan. Therfore you need to know the outcome of the negatrait roll to be able to adjust the plan. so standing the bg up first, moving him first is good as long as you make sure he won't cause a turnover and end your turn with your other guys out of position. but if you need the tz of your bg for your cage f.e. and he is in the right position don't make any action at all. Murphys law would apply.

Jump to: