72 coaches online • Server time: 21:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2010 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont try to stall - just go for the score. You want a fast-paced spread out game where you can make the most of your superior manouverability. Two heads on the goblins makes it almost impossible to defend agaisnt them - or to protect the ball carrier. Throw team mate is for desperate times only unless you have an agility 4 goblin. Just run the 2 head goblins behind the opposition lines and make them have to defend from all directions.

Also, you should get a big bench, that way you wont be scared of contact and have a much better chance of having 11 players on the pitch at all times. They are not a team where you ever want to be using journeymen!
bxnyc

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2010 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

little green speed bumps.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2010 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Think of them as a Skaven team that is short on Linos and Heavy on Gutter Runners with less speed.

The Skaven need to deal damage and lead your blocking game.
Get Mighty Blow and Claw early for you Skaven Blitzers. Block and Dirty Player for the other 4 Skaven.
Dodge away the Goblins to give the Skaven 2 dice blocks and to help assist the Troll before he moves.

Spread out to minimize your opponents Guard and better ST.
Be a nuisance every turn playing a ball centered game. Make your opponent chase you.
No free Blocks. Try to only give up the 1 Blitz Action on each of your opponents turns.

Do not ever Apoth a Goblin (unless maybe that Gobbo is VERY SPECIAL).
Always replace Goblins last... journeymen Goblins are great cannon fodder.
Hire Stars in your Pre-Match sequence to help out.

Know when it's better to stall and press your advantages and when it's better to score and end the pain.
morraywolfymax

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2010 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Jesus nice one Catalyst, that's some delicious advice!

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Underworld are much better then their reputation, I got a positive win/loss record with my uw team, so it is not like you can't win with them. They are probably the hardest team to play successfully though, simply because it is a rare game where you don't take a beating, even if you win or tie.

Don't go for Dp on the Skaven. Fouling in lrb6 is much less effective then in lrb4, and you can't risk loosing the players in your team that can actually block anything successfully.

As for skills, you'll want Claw and Guard on the troll.

For the Blitzers, either give them Guard or go for Mighty Blow, Claw, Piling On. You'll get few blocks with the team, make sure they are at least 2 dice and hurt.

Use the Throwers as throwers and not as extra blockers. You need to score fast to replace the knocked out goblins, and the passing game is the way to go for that.

The Linemen need Block or Wrestle, and then you can go for skills like Tackle, Kick, Fend ect.

Goblins need Two-Heads first. All of them. Dodging is the only thing Goblins are moderately good at, and with Two-Heads it becomes actually reliable. Bascially you are dodging away or past your opponents to assist those players in your team who can block or set up a foul. Sneaky Git, Sidestep, Extra Arms or Horns are good second skill choices. Still, on defense, even with Horns and Two-Heads, if your opponent is running a tight cage that gives you one die without block on his ballcarrier, and him probably having Dodge or Block or both. If you can get another goblins with Two-Heads and Guard you can actually break cages, till then you are better off using your defense to decimate your opponent with your troll, your blitzers and your foulers.
ritzi

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

i havent played a lot of games with my Underworld but i as far as i have seen they are a great team to anoy your opponents and let them whine about your Gobos dodging wherever they want Wink.

I think they are a quite good squad at lower TR but that might chance at higher TR i guess. With more Tackle and more MB they might get outnumbered all the time with nobody standing on the field at T16 (just my guessing). I will still play them as they look like a lot of fun.

I know a two headed horned (btw. what are you thinking of a two headed horned dauntless guy - if he rolls doubles?) Gobo is great for blitzing into thight cages. But especially at high TR you have to expect your opponent to have some guards there. That might make it hard to do so as a -2d block with a blockless stunty AV7 player might kill him more likely then making the ball come loose. To counter this weaknes i was thinking about giving the gobos guard on doubles. So they would be able to dodge into the cage first to give some assits too. Now im guessing if that would be a bonehead move or if it would be a nice one. Its hard not to take skills like Block on doubles. Any thoughts?
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Dauntless + horns is not that good as it was in LRB4. The bonus from the horns is added before the roll for dauntless so guard is a better choice there.
Guard will also help your gobbos to survive better, so i think it is a solid choice, you cannot have to much guard in a team.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Dauntless + Horns isn't the combo it used to be, but it's not bad on stunties. Block + SB seem like a better way to go for the fortunate rollers though.

I think Two Heads is the standard first skill for gobbos, so customizing from there should be the base. You'll hardly ever go wrong giving one horns, but keep in mind your skaven blitzers will be taking MB/Claw/Tackle, and will presumably be doing your non-cage-breaking blitzing. A Two-Headed, Extra Arm, Big Hand gobbo can get just about anywhere and take the ball all on 2+, no doubles required.

Also, don't overlook that gobbos can take Claw on a normal roll Smile

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2011 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to hear Macavitys opinion on the Underworlders

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2011 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard for me seems a big yes yes with underworld gobbos. Mark up the players in the cage. Go in with a two heads/Guard gobbo. And then make a 2die blitz with a 2heads/horns gobbo. Even at a higer tv. Guard players are either slow or rare in most teams so it's just a question of doing this the right way.

I think my new favorite gobbo blitzers will be 2heads/horns/Stripball.
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2011 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny, I was thinking of just this topic myself recently. I think the predominant tactic here will be to slip through and steal as much as possible. Twohead gobbos are key, obviously, and the ballhandling mutations work well in synergy. As stated by others, using your troll and blitzers to knockdown/take out key oppo players, followed up by a righteous booting from a dp or two.

I am intrigued by the thinking of taking guard on gobbo doubles. Makes sense though, and something I'll be sure to take on board. (After the reset - have rolled two gobbo doubles so far, one of which is accurate - accidental click!)

At higher TV's, they may struggle a bit more, granted. But i think they'll still be able to score fairly often, so you should be able to keep the team ticking along...with some luck Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2011 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

A guard goblin is likely a dead goblin. Sidestep (after 2 heads) is the skill that will keep the team competitive at slightly higher tv. Block/daunt/strip ball and wrestle are all better than a guard gobbo IMO. For the skaven its a different story.
Gotte

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2011 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Aren't all gobbos dead goblins? I'd rather have a great gobbo and use him well when he is alive then a live gobbo who I cant do anything with. The fact that a 2heads guard gobbo and a 2heads horns gobbo can do a 2d blitz against a normal st3 ball carrier in a normal cage with 2 2+dodges with free rerolls is great. And for a underworld team I think you would want the opponent to keep hunting your gobbos as long as possible. To keep your key skaven players alive longer.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2011 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
I want to hear Macavitys opinion on the Underworlders

He was upset he could only take 12 Gobbos. Very Happy
razcrux

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2013 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

how to skill the linerats is seemingly no simple answer. Some play them with Wrestle and Tackle / Two heads to put pressure. Or with Wrestle, Fend to hold the line when defending. Kick can also be very useful as your gobo's have two heads. I've also just seen them with Block, Claw for more bashing... so really anything is possible with them; a lot depends on what you do with the throwers and if you want the team to win through fines (quick scores), reversals (tackle, stripball, two heads, wrestle), or through bashing (mb, claw, piling on, jump up) etc.
=)

My focus now is going to be on figuring out how to toss goblins effectively since they don't cause a turn over if they don;'t have the ball and fall, and you can actually use them to knock guys over... (or to grab a loose ball from the back)
 Jump to: