49 coaches online • Server time: 16:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2011 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I can tell, completely out of the blue the client has started locking up on me on the About Fantasy Football popup window.

I have tried numerous uninstalls, reboots, reinstalls, reboots, etc. I've never had this problem before and nothing I do seems to affect it.

The Task Manager indicates javaw.exe in the processes list, but it is never using any memory, and stopping the process is the only way to close the client window. (If I end the application the 'Do you want to leave the game' popup opens, but clicking on the yes/no buttons don't do anything).

I have no idea why this issue is occuring. The only recent change was updating my Norton, but I did that on Tuesday and had no problem playing games between then and Friday night when the issue appeared.

Please help! Need my BB! I'm missing two WO games right now, ARRRGGGHHH!
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Norton sucks. Hasn't had a decent movie role since the Incredible Hulk... (or was that his last role?)

My bets are on that it's likely raining in Seattle and it's interfering with the internet. Do they even have internet in Seattle?!...

My last suggestion is not to take any of my advice. Good luck on pondering how to accomplish that circular mind-jam...
Astarael

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Try (temporarily) disabling Norton, and running the FFB client. That'll tell you if it's Norton.

If that doesn't fix it I'd probably go for a complete reinstall of Java.

EDIT: If it is Norton, and you're not particularly interested in what anti-virus you use as long as it protects I strongly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It's much less resource intensive, free, and one of the best for protecting your system. Combine it with MalwareBytes anti-malware and WinPatrol (BillP studios) (WinPatrol not needed but I like it) and your system is pretty much protected from everything unless you specifically allow it to download and run Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Norton, and just renewed my subsription. I've also installed it on two other computers which are NOT having an issue with the ffb client/ java. This problem is specific to my personal computer.

And I've already tried like 5 complete reinstalls of java to no effect.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

or just get a mac

just sayin

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

oh, wait, seattle. you guys burn mac users in them there parts, don't ye?

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I see reinstalls of java but have you cleared your cache of the downloaded client files?
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Nekosama, no, I have not done that. Nor am I sure how do to so. Can you please provide specific instructions? Is that done from the explorer properties dialog box?

Would that be necessary to do immediately before or after a reinstall, or could I just do it now (once I know how lol)?

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 04:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Java -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> View -> Delete Fantasy Client

Worth a try.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, followed Kryten's instructions and got to the Java Control Panel. From there its totally unresponsive. Not a single button works and can't close it. Seems like java is the problem, but I've tried reloading it half a dozen times and no change. Both my family's other computers still work fine, even with the Norton update.

Ideas anyone?

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Run ccleaner. you can download it from www.filehippo.com

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds more like an issue with your computer than the FFB-client itself if you have a control-panel locking itself up.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2011 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm very strange, I have got the same problem, the java chat applet also locks up.
I've tried the fixes suggested so far, any other ideas?

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2011 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Try using some older version of Java? Not a very good workaround (if it even works), but might be worth a shot.

Did you install _anything_ else that could maybe trigger something? Have you updated Windows (if not, try updating maybe?)?

I know this is a very long shot, but I once had problems with JBB (although they were graphics related, the whole window was upside down and flipped the right away every few seconds, a very weird error at that) and they were fixed by repairing my DirectX installation.

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2011 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Tried a few different things, had some success but then locks up again, maybe I have a virus of some kind