13 coaches online • Server time: 05:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Change the Scheduler?
yes, encourage mirror matches
65%
 65%  [ 88 ]
no, discourage mirror matches
34%
 34%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 135

f_alk

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Please change the scheduler to allow for mirror matches, and not avoid them.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

You do play mirror matches. I just played one. Or does that only happen when there are no alternatives?

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Mirror matches I believe are penalised in suitability, so you should play them far more rarely.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Mirror matches are my preference in general. It's a truer test of skill, being on equal ground in all respects possible.

Mind you, I like any game that's reasonably fair, but mirrors are the gold standard of fair.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason for the adjustment to suitability was to reduce the chances of teams always playing the same race. Because the teams 'used' to be put through a table For instance Orc v Dwarf at TR100-120 might have a 0.52 adjustment because of win rate. Therefore because a race playing itself would always be equal, the scheduler would automatically find the mirror match as the fairest game.

However, as I understand it, the scheduler no longer uses the race table for the viability of matches. If this is the case then their should no longer need to be any adjustment for the suitability of any race. So it should be possible to remove them completely.
Carnis

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
However, as I understand it, the scheduler no longer uses the race table for the viability of matches. If this is the case then their should no longer need to be any adjustment for the suitability of any race. So it should be possible to remove them completely.

Pretty sure it still does use race as an adjuster!
srjuanone

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I like mirrow matches. I ve always enjoyed them regardless of the race. In ranked i used to ask for mirrow games but the majority of the coaches used to refuse them and they said: no thx, i dont like mirrow games. I still wonder why people dont like them...
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Carnis wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:

Pretty sure it still does use race as an adjuster!

Really? In which case some of the viability scores surprise me greatly.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny, but if it's still biased against same-race match-ups, I wonder how many pact teams would destroy each other if they met up more often Cool
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
Funny, but if it's still biased against same-race match-ups, I wonder how many Nurgle teams would destroy each other if they met up more often Cool

Fixt

Mirror matches should certainly have no bonus or penalty in the scheduler. Smile

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

For some reason I hate mirrormatches. If there are two different teambuilds it may be more interesting. Two norseteams beating eachother up is pretty interesting though Smile
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Didn´t know that the scheduler avoids mirror matches. I don´t like them, but from a balace perspective its far better to force them unless not enforced over greater TV diffrences. Its a self regulation mechanism. Very good suggestion. Thumbs up.

Greetings

Smeesh
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I really hate mirror matches, I’m glad if they are penalised since it’s less fun, less interesting and at times less skilful (styles make fights as they say in boxing; I‘ve always disliked the XFL), but I don’t think they really should be. I’m not sure the box should be deliberately giving us more interesting games, that’s not what it’s about at the end of the day.

Don’t see any harm in penalising playing the same race twice running though. Keep things fresh that way? Might help with variety if some people still don't feel they get enough? That's hardly altering the playing field too much.
JoseBagg

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Mirror matches would be great, because it would thin the field of these monster destruction teams.

Currently, it is a little biased, since the big killer teams don't have to face killer teams as much, since the mirror matches are discouraged. So big killer teams would naturally have a longer life expectancy.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Big killer teams face plenty of other big killer teams, since high-TV teams are mostly paired against any other high-TV teams that happen to be in the draw. Any small factors in the pairing formula are irrelevant if there are only two teams in the draw within 15% TV.
 Jump to: