52 coaches online • Server time: 22:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The overtime rules suck. The cointoss is just too important as it is.
Also, as they're not implemented (at the coaches' discretion) on every fumbbl game that ends in a draw, they are already a house-rule (which fumbbl does not allow).

If we're not following the rules per the book anyway, we might as well follow a good set of rules.

My personal preference would be that overtime consists of two halves of 4 turns.

If Dwarven coaches rebel at this too much, I could also live with the following (minor) adaptation of the current rules:
"if the coach who received in OT does not score within 8 turns, the coach who kicked wins the game."
This way losing the cointoss will at least allow you to win by succesfully defending.
Fela

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:

This way losing the cointoss will at least allow you to win by succesfully defending.

It already does. By successfully defending AND preserving your RRs better than the offense.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

It's upto the league commissionner or tournament organisers to choose how draws are worked out. In ranked and blackbox this have been decided by Fumbbl. In League division it should be decided by the League admin, however all the options haven't been available. It's quite clear in the rules, and not a FUMBBL house-rule.

The rule you are thinking of (both coaches have to agree) is a general guideline for single games.

CRP League rules wrote:
In a league, the Commissioner's word is LAW: He is allowed to change or modify any of the Blood Bowl rules as he sees fit, including any of the League Rules that follow. [...]

Last edited by Shraaaag on %b %08, %2011 - %11:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

It should be this - First of all, it is the same for who is receiving first, but get rid of first TD wins. The full OT is played regardless. However instead of playing with a ball you play it with a squig.

If the Squig Ball is on the Ground: At the beginning of each Team’s turn, before anyone takes an action,
a Squig Ball on the ground will move d6 squares in a random Direction. The Squig Ball does not need to
dodge to move through tackle zones.
2. If the Squig Ball is held by a player: At the beginning of that Team’s Turn (not the opposing teams turn),
before anyone takes an action, roll a d6 (this cannot be re-rolled) On a roll of 1, the Squig has squirmed free
and will move as above starting from the players square. This does not cause a Turn Over.
3. If the Ball Squig’s movement carries it into a players square: The Squig throws a ST:0 Blitz with the
Dauntless & Juggernaught Skills. Neither team may lend their assists. The Squig ball will never follow up and
will end its movement in the square where it threw the block (regardless of any surplus MA). The Squig can
never be knocked down, injured, K/Oed nor stunned. Players knocked down in this fashion will not cause a
turn over. The target players opponent always rolls the appropriate dice decides where to push the player if
applicable.
4. If the Squig Ball’s movement carries it into the crowd: they will throw it back as usual. It will bounce and
then end it’s movement where it lands (regardless of any surplus MA).
5. The Squig Ball is Hard to handle: All GFI Rolls (while holdong the ball) and agility based actions involving
the ball suffer a –1 penalty. This includes GFI, Pick Up, Catch, Pass, Intercept and Landing (if holding the
ball).

Q & A
Does the Squig have to use Juggernaught? (can the Squig use Double Down?) The Squig may never
use a double down result on the block dice, so in accordance with Juggernaught, it will treat all such
results as a Push Back
Can I target the squig with a bomb, wizard or special play card?
The squig is not a player, this mat not be the target of any special effects or events
If the Squig Rolls a Skull, Can I injure it and get 2 SPPs?
The Squig may never be injured or knocked down, You may Ignore all Skull results on the block
dice
Does the squig bounce?
The squig will bounce in all the same circumstances that a normal ball does. It does not bouncce at
the end if it's own random movement however.
Do I suffer the -1 penalty to every action when I hold the Squig Ball? (eg: Dodge rolls)
Only GFI, Pass, Catch, Intercept and Landing rolls attract the -1 penalty.
Is the -1 penalty cumulative with other penalties (eg Tackle Zones, Disturbing presence, Weather,
etc...)
Yes (I'm Squigin' in the Rain... Just Squigin' in the Rain...)
If I use a Troll (or other Big Guy) to throw a team-mate, and that player is is holding the squig, does get the -1 modifier for ttm.
No, and he doesnt eat the squig either Wink

Last edited by Garion on %b %08, %2011 - %11:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
The overtime rules suck. The cointoss is just too important as it is.

No different to your average ClawMB vs ClawMB game then Razz
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
It's upto the league commissionner or tournament organisers to choose how draws are worked out. In ranked and blackbox this have been decided by Fumbbl. In League division it should be decided by the League admin, however all the options haven't been available. It's quite clear in the rules, and not a FUMBBL house-rule.

The rule you are thinking of (both coaches have to agree) is a general guideline for single games.

CRP League rules wrote:
In a league, the Commissioner's word is LAW: He is allowed to change or modify any of the Blood Bowl rules as he sees fit, including any of the League Rules that follow. [...]

You're right, my search of the rulebook for the string 'overtime' was ended prematurely.

Nevertheless, the fact that fumbbl has picked the current system to resolve draws leaves the objection intact.

I know people love to poke fun at rules suggestions and all, but Fela, Garion, Tyrion, do you honestly think the current OT rules are good? And that if not the first, then the second proposed change would improve things?
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

No, and I was being serious. I hate them as they are, and would rather play squig ball or even penalty shoot outs instead,

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
It should be this - First of all, it is the same for who is receiving first, but get rid of first TD wins. The full OT is played regardless. However instead of playing with a ball you play it with a squig.

Thanks for clarifying, I thought you were trolling.
Honestly, I must try this squiq for TT sometime. Sounds fun! =P
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:

I know people love to poke fun at rules suggestions and all, but Fela, Garion, Tyrion, do you honestly think the current OT rules are good? And that if not the first, then the second proposed change would improve things?

Yes, I think the current OT rules are a big improvement.

In LRB 4 the bashers had a big advantage over the agile teams in overtime, as they had by that time already ground down the agile team.

At least in the new OT format an agile team with even just a few players remaining, has a chance to win the game (and avoid the full 8 turns of further injury)
f_alk

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I think you are mixing up LRB4 and Skijunkie's client here.
LRB4 and LRB6 overtime have not changed, both are "sudden death". It was the client that couldn't handle it, and it was houseruled here on FUMBBL that instead of clicking through the turns after a score the full half was played out.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
the_Sage wrote:

In LRB 4 the bashers had a big advantage over the agile teams in overtime, as they had by that time already ground down the agile team.

At least in the new OT format an agile team with even just a few players remaining, has a chance to win the game (and avoid the full 8 turns of further injury)

Thanks for a clearer answer DT.
The way I see it, bashers can still just get the ball and stall for 8 turns (since they already outnumber). With 2 4-turn drives, bashers need to hurry more to score and have less time for a solid smacking. Also, with 4 turns succesful defense becomes more of an option.

Even so, if you wish to stick with the one-drive, golden goal rule: why not make the kicker win if he prevents a score?
In a normal first half, if I kick and keep it 0-0, It feels like more than half a win, not like no outcome (as it is in OT). Or at least a bonus on the D6 for the OT kicking team?
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

f_alk wrote:
Actually, I think you are mixing up LRB4 and Skijunkie's client here.
LRB4 and LRB6 overtime have not changed, both are "sudden death". It was the client that couldn't handle it, and it was houseruled here on FUMBBL that instead of clicking through the turns after a score the full half was played out.

True dis

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:
the_Sage wrote:

Thanks for a clearer answer DT.
The way I see it, bashers can still just get the ball and stall for 8 turns (since they already outnumber). With 2 4-turn drives, bashers need to hurry more to score and have less time for a solid smacking. Also, with 4 turns succesful defense becomes more of an option.

Even so, if you wish to stick with the one-drive, golden goal rule: why not make the kicker win if he prevents a score?
In a normal first half, if I kick and keep it 0-0, It feels like more than half a win, not like no outcome (as it is in OT). Or at least a bonus on the D6 for the OT kicking team?

Actually, I would go a step further and say that in the event of a draw, the lowest TV team progresses (no overtime), but that's just me.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I like sudden death OT. It gives elves a better chance than they used to have. Even if a depleted elf team got the ball and scored, they generally had to do it quickly and would see the rest of the OT ground away along with their players. Now its a matter of possibly having to steal on defense to win.

A fun thought would be if one team receives and scores, the other team gets an equal amount of time for a drive of their own.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
f_alk

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
A fun thought would be if one team receives and scores, the other team gets an equal amount of time for a drive of their own.

If I needed house rules, I'd take this one.
 Jump to: