40 coaches online • Server time: 12:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
divino77

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2011 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Can someone explain to me why the intercept roll is made before the pass, does it not stand to reason that it should be determined that the passer at least has not fumbbled the ball before the steal happens. Its so frustrating as its always when i need a 6 to make the pass that its intercepted!

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2011 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

It is in the rules, that is all that counts.
quixote

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2011 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

This has been brought up before; the designers have included a note in the latest ruleset explaining why they do it (page 22). In short it's an abstraction to make the game "work better".
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2011 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea is that the chance for an interception should have the likelyness of an (ag roll -2) and not (Chance for not fumbbling) * (ag roll -2).
Ie they figured an int is already unlikely enough as it is.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2011 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

on the bright side, if your pass is intercepted you are potentially saving a reroll for the possibly missed pass

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 04:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay thanks.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I questioned this a long time ago and thought the reason was dumb. I still do.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 07:43 Reply with quote Back to top

If the intercept was rolled after the pass roll, then it would open up the issue of inaccurate passes. It could well be that the ball went to a square that did not allow for an intercept or that allowed for a new player to intercept. Not taking that into account would feel silly too. But it would entail breaking out the passing ruler again. That's a lot of fiddling, especially as passing already requires a lot of time to figure out. This would mean that the 4 minute rule would have to be relaxed for this as passing would just take too much time. In short, it's a can of worms.

A computer could easily calculate that stuff but it's best that we stay as close to the tabletop rules as possible. I struggled with playing tabletop with LRB5 rules and LRB4 here.
dode74

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 07:53 Reply with quote Back to top

If the intercept were rolled after the pass roll then the odds of interception drop by whatever the odds of a fumble are. Interceptions are rare enough as it is.
the_cursed_one

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 07:54 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i like my skellies having a shot at intercepts
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

It is an odd rule no doubt, but what is maybe even stranger is why can only one player try and intercept, its like they all stop and have a chat and decide - "yeah, i think you should be the only one to try and jump and catch it, even though it is flying over my head as well". Really every player that the ball passes over should get a chance including your own players if they want too.

But its just a game Wink and realism has never really been something it has strived for.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Wang wrote:
I questioned this a long time ago and thought the reason was dumb. I still do.

most of the rules are dumb

but they are the rules
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs playing Elves in a violent American football come Rugby game and you're complaining about realism?!

As previous posters have said, its using the mathematics of probability to generate more accurate realism. Do you really think all NFL Quarterbacks fumble 16% of all pass attempts?
zakatan

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Orcs playing Elves in a violent American football come Rugby game and you're complaining about realism?!

As previous posters have said, its using the mathematics of probability to generate more accurate realism. Do you really think all NFL Quarterbacks fumble 16% of all pass attempts?

no, they have pass
Rabe

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

So Safe Throw is actually a bad thing, since it increases the chance of a fumble... ;-D

Jump to: