58 coaches online • Server time: 20:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Aflo

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, here's my own crack at a stunty roster which strictly keeps in mind the things that make stunty great: fun, weirdness and a propensity to suicidal fragility.

Colleges of Magic

Long have the wizards of the empire ruminated on the blood bowl mania that swept the old world all those years ago. See, they just don't get it. Why settle these disputes in vicious, brutal struggles in the dirt when you could spend the best part of a decade plotting an ingeniously devilish and meticulously planned scheme to utterly destroy your opponent. Very odd. And taking to the same field as an orc? Please. Of course there were the good old days before the present restrictions on magic on the pitch but these had as much to do with the silly practice of putting an inflated squig bladder over a painted white line as halfling tossing does with promoting the wee folk as perfectly adequate members of society. Indeed, many an archmage was formed in these heady times, given a perfect platform to show boat his most lethal creations without the usual problem of being hacked to pieces by the awkwardly placed 'army' facing opposite.

This however was all about to change...

It was Herr Flickityjibwit of the emerald tower that first spied a most peculiar sight through his latest invention, a long cylindrical object he had aptly named the see'er-of-things-a-long-way-away. He'd been idly sneaking glimpses of a halfling maid he rather liked to paint 'imaginative' pictures of when he noticed he noticed what else was converging on the muddy stretch of untilled farmland just south of Turnipton. The crowd of halflings was dressed up in its usual sickeningly gay paraphanalia, no doubt attending one of those abysmally dull fairs they were keen on, but wait...there weren't usually brownies at halfling fairs...

Flickityjibwit looked closer (well, wider really) and found there was more! Goblins, gnomes, gnoblars and more! He caught sight of what was unmistakably stands of bleachers, foam mitts and a hot-snot stand the inference of which could only possible means one thing. Could it be these puny creatures were playing blood bowl? Like most lads grown up in Empire, he'd always assumed blood bowl was a spectator sport for almost everybody barring the hugest, most psychopathic or insanely agile individuals in the world. And here they were, all these squishy little beasts and no one around to squash them...

Wizards are good at scheming. It's what they do best. Herr Flickityjibwit was far from the exception. I mean, the timing could hardly be better, that internal combustion spell needing all that painstaking, expensive research. In what we assume was an elated enthusiasm, Herr Flickityjibwit bolted for the door in order to make all the necessary preparations but we'll never know the full story as his body was found some months later. The most obvious explanation was that he had simply slipped on the still wet canvas of his most recent lewd masterpiece and had impaled himself on the very see'er-of-things-a-long-way-away that had sparked the madness. Nevermind, as it was his scribbled frantic notes were forwarded to the Grand Archmage in Altdorf who proclaimed a 'jolly good idea' before going on a 2 hour ramble on how his 'deamons never properly get exercised'. The grand archmage wasn't a tolerant man, by any stretch of the imagination so when archmage herr Toggledong mentioned in the quietist of voices that 'the newspapers might catch on sir, bad press and all that' rage flashed instantly in the grand archmages eyes and the illustrious career of another very good mage was cut short...very short, about 5 inches short. Toggledong had been turned into a toad. The multitudes of wizards that would no doubt be chomping on the bit to legally unleash their creations on the little folk were drastically reduced by the announcement of the grand archmage that followed shortly afterwards that it was

'better the, er, wider world don't hear about this eh chaps? Bad press and all that'

'But we couldn't possibly summon enough deamons to fill a team and of all people you know how wizards get in large groups'

Replied Herr Boomerwang, adept mage who had delivered the revealing notes of the dead magician.

'Hmm, yes, quite. Well use your imaginations! There must be some enterprising young race out there seeking fame and fortune alongside the best and brightest mankind has to offer- what's the latest news on the munchkins?'

'Er...well...dead my lord. A race that stupid to stand still mesmorized at the sight of a fireball really doesn't deserve to carry on existing...'

'Eh, a pity...'

The toad-that-once-was-archmage-herr-Togglegong couldn't supress the urge any longer and sneaked out a long, low 'riiibet'. Both wizards slowly turned to look at the fat green amphibian sitting on the floor, webbed hands clasped to his mouth, terror shining in his eyes.

'Grand archmage...I think I may have a solution...'

Longer than I expected it to be, just kept a'tapping away.

On to the roster:

0-1 Golem 3/6/1/10 bonehead, loner, mighty blow, standfirm, thickskull, TTM S/AGP 130K
0-4 Wizards 6/2/3/7 bombadier, stab, hypnotic gaze, leap, animosity AP/GS 120k
0-2 Mephits 6/2/3/7 dodge, stunty, right stuff, sprint, regeneration AM/GSP 80k
0-16 Homonculi 5/1/3/5 dodge, stunty, titchy, regeneration, right stuff A/GS 30k

Rerolls 70k

The idea of the team is it's weird. You've got the toads who I think might be the worst players in the game (still not sure on no hands for them), memphits (little flying, independant deamons) who I gave sprint to take their stunted wings into account that will probably run the ball and a big guy, the elemental who's essentially a regenerating ogre which I thought suited the background. Maybe give the elemental mutation access on doubles?

The wizards I wasn't entirely sure what to do about...I imagine coding in 'a wizard spell every turn' for this team would be a nightmare so I've given them skills that more represent the individual wizard's own cantrips and less destructive spells they're likely to be able to cast over and over again.

With this in mind they have bombadier (fireball), stab (mini lightning bolt), hypno gaze (illusion spell) and leap (levitation) and given them fairly wide skill access. I wanted them to be jack of all trades kinda thing and after all they would be carrying the team with the toads being what they are. Stat line is to represent unathletic humans, hence the ST2. Maybe give them pro?

80k rerolls because they don't practice as a team. That would be absurd.

I'm happy to take any criticism into consideration, even if that criticism might be 'it's pants, start again.' but constructive criticism is preferred.

Cheers!

Adam

EDIT 1: Removed no hands from toads.
EDIT 2: Various minor roster changes.
EDIT 3: Swapped mephit G access to M, gave wizards VLL, reduced reroll cost by 10k.
EDIT 4: Elemental or golem, swapped G access on wizards for A, gave mephits regen (as they were meant to have originally).
EDIT 5: Gave wizards animosity.
EDIT 6: Changed team name.
EDIT 7: Removed wizard VLL, removed standard elemental positional, added regeneration to homonculi.

Last edited by Aflo on Mar 04, 2012 - 21:31; edited 10 times in total
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

0-16 No Hands players isn't really feasible. A few no hands players is ok, but a whole team of them isn't really, a team
mr-maverick

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
0-16 No Hands players isn't really feasible. A few no hands players is ok, but a whole team of them isn't really, a team

+101

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Site ate my reply...

Sure, I don't have an issue changing that. The idea was to have the wizards and deamons do *everything* but having the occasional toad hide the ball in his mouth wouldn't change the way the team worked as far as I can tell.

First post edited.

What do you think of the wizards themselves?
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

no reason why mutant toads can't have a hand sticking out their head lol Image

pinched from cowheads thread Wink
cowhead

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey leave my Darwin alone. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ha, well as much as I like frogs with hands coming out of their foreheads (Smile) I see these guys as less mutant, more toad. The real squibs of blood bowl.

Thinking regen would make sense on the memphits and would keep the team alive longer in the long run. Still looks a bit weak...maybe chainsaw instead of stab on the wizards?
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Aflo wrote:
Still looks a bit weak...maybe chainsaw instead of stab on the wizards?
How/why would a wizard use a chainsaw? Fluff first, THEN Stats.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I would recommend changing the generic Elemental to "Earth Elemental 4/5/1/10 Bone head, Stand firm, Thick skull, Regenerate, TTM, Loner, G/ASP." No mutation access. Maybe add Decay as well.

No, the wizards should not get a chainsaw. Although I do actually like their concept / 'spell package'.

Shouldn't the toads also have stunty?

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

@Craftnburn: missing the point a bit there buddy, the whole idea is based on the 'counts as' concept otherwise leaping wizards is as if not more ridiculous. The wizard wouldn't be carrying a chainsaw. The wizard would shoot a bolt of lightning from his fingers that would have the effect of a chainsaw.

@Sigmar1: Hi there, any particular reason why that'd be preferable to you? In terms of play I mean. 'Golem' might be a rounder name to that particular statline since otherwise it wouldn't feel quite right without other representative elementals which would turn the team into an elemental team Smile
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure you could come up with a "spell" that would work with any skill, doesn't mean you should.

I guess I'll just follow Nelphine's advice.. Good luck with the roster.
Corvidius

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely not Chainsaw, stab is fine though I guess. The roster looks reasonable as is.

One thought though, Wizards in BB can only cast 2 spells now right, Fireball and Lightning Bolt, and used to be able to cast 3 with the addition being zap. So maybe limiting the wizard to 3 Counts as skills would make sense. Smile
Aflo

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
I'm pretty sure you could come up with a "spell" that would work with any skill, doesn't mean you should.

I guess I'll just follow Nelphine's advice.. Good luck with the roster.

Ohhhkay, then I suppose you could have said that you just didn't like the idea off the bat. Especially bearing in mind they already had the stab skill, chainsaw was just a riskier power up from that. And yes, of course you could which is exactly what future skill ups would mean however there isn't an option for that with regards to the weirder skills in the game.

I don't know what you mean by Nelphine's advice; you'll have to fill me in there.

@Corvidius: Thanks for the comment. I think you and the others might be right - 4 chainsaws is far too much destructive power for these guys. I see what you mean about the extra spells but I couldn't help thinking *just* bombadier and stab makes them boringly similar to most other stunty rosters out there. Hypno and leap just make them something a bit different which I think is important for every roster, I fear they'd just be a bit boring without it.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Aflo wrote:
Ohhhkay, then I suppose you could have said that you just didn't like the idea off the bat.
Rather than just say "I don't like the idea" which wouldn't be very helpful, I tried to get you to understand why I didn't like it. I hadn't thought of the "chainsaw" as a spell (not sure if you mentioned that and I just missed it or what).
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure why other people are giving you crap Aflo...this idea seems just as worthy as any of the other ideas being floated right now.

Although the wizards seem really awesome, especially with G access, ST2 AV7 with no dodge unless doubles will make them targets. The lack of stunty helps them a bit, but I still them them dying at a prodigious rate Smile I like the idea of a small cadre of really versatile players surrounded by a bunch of fodder.

80K on the memphits seems steep, they're just one normal skill better than a standard gobbo. I think they'd be about right with regen.

Maybe instead of calling the linos 'Mutant Toads' you could name them 'Familiars' or 'Homonculi', and then the icon people could make all kinds of weird different critters/ things to represent them.

On further reflection, perhaps Golem would be a better name than Earth Elemental, with a slightly different stat line to differentiate him from an Irongut. How about 3/6/1/10 with the previous skill set? After all, if a wizards are gonna take the field, they'll likely have the biggest baddest thing magic can create to hold the center.

I get your point about the cost of the rrs, but 70K would still same adequately expensive.