50 coaches online • Server time: 12:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
More stunty teams?
Hell yeah!
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
Duh. What are we waiting for?
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Indubitably.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Of course, it's a no-brainer.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
No (but I suck so dont' listen to me)
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2014 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

For quite a while now I've been thinking there hasn't been as much stunty action as in the recent past.
Now, my normal playing time is during a crappy timezone, but even so, I pop onto Fumbbl during work and sometimes spec some matches while working (really, I'm working!).

But even during prime euro play times, matches seem rare. So I checked the Fumbbl stats and sure enough, monthly Stunty matches are at their lowest point (392 games) since January 2013 (thats just approx. 13 matches a day, and I'm fairly sure Crook and xnoelx are playing the majority of them!)

As an avid Stunty player...this blows. Sure, we're between tourneys and play always picks up during a major, but Stunty is clearly languishing at the moment.

Now, 'regular' BB has 24 teams. Stunty only has 16. To me this says we need more diversity in order to encourage more games. There was a fairly significant bump in Stunty activity when the PFlings were rolled out (and obviously the 'revamp' was huge, but that only happens once a decade). I think new teams are the best way to promote the division and increase our player base.

My suggestion would be to roll out two new teams every 3 months or so until we reach the magic 24. There's plenty of great ideas out there, and unveiling two teams at a time would cause a HUGE amount of publicity and excitement.

Obviously they'd need to be thoroughly tested and well balanced. But I think its doable, and would enhance Stunty activity tremendously. And even if it didn't...who wouldn't like more teams to choose from and play with?

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2014 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunty need more "elves"...
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2014 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to admit that although I love the Leeg, for a month or two, I've been playing less S. I've been trying out the changes in B (and liking them), and prepping for majors, and now also testing. I also enjoy playing to some purpose, even if it's only some arbitrary self-made goal. So I've been playing a team in the new B metagroup ARR, and I've recently started another to play in the Human League.

For me, this is what's missing in S. More variety of teams would help, but unless it was another chaotic team, wouldn't greatly affect me. I enjoyed running SLAM, and SPLAT has been even better (more games, less admin-ing). The S majors are also great. But apart from them, there isn't anything else. The only goal that's brought me back for the odd game recently is seeing my Stick The Moot In climb the most games in S list. But that isn't a big draw, as Hospital has the top spot so thoroughly sewn up.

Which brings me to a thought I had a while back, and have been pondering a little since. S minors. I've been trying to come up with a format, like the BBBs, RRRs, or Smacks, which could be a small regular (weekly/fortnightly/monthly) tournament, but without just copying any of those exactly, to ensure it has it's own identity, rather than being seen as an imitation or inferior version. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten very far with that.

I would also like to see more meta-groups, but with the smaller player base, it's not too surprising that there are less people with both the ideas for them and the will to run them.

I know WhatBall mentioned a while back that he was looking at something to allow for/replace the leagues within S, like SLAM, and am eagerly awaiting whatever that turns out to be, while understanding that there are/have been other things taking up his attention.

Maybe a bit of a self-centred post in all, which may not provide anything which would lead to more people playing more S. But these are the things that would get me playing more.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2014 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

i still think being able to to make stunty leagues (although can't be actual league teams) would enhance more games.
RRR posts appear all the time.
RRR games happen all the time.
if you go out first round, do you
A. retire the team?
B. Keep the team (adds fluff to a team bio maybe)

So I propose a stunty RRR maybe. This way more teams would be created. meaning more teams floating around.
How many times do you see a coach sitting on GF for ages trying to get a game?
Now they see a RRR Stunty getting ready to start, may as well try it out.

Then at a later point adds their stunty teams to GF. If nothing else, just to get a game

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2014 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Sigmar, more teams would help attracting more guys in Stunty.

But I also agree with Xnoelx.

At the moment I'm playing less Stunty games than usual because I'm trying to build Ranked teams for the next major. This is one of the things we miss in Stunty: a purpose, except the personal ones, to grow your team.

Why do you grow teams in Stunty? Well, personally, I do that to beat records, to have legends, to start rivalries with other great teams, but the fact is you don't build teams for majors. This is because you really don't need a skilled, good team to win a major, as in stunty inducements do the magic and often a rookie team can destroy a skilled team, I've seen it happen quite most times. This doesn't help in playing games to build teams: a rookie coach just starts a team and enters a major, with few skills gained from playing few games, then he buys 500k inducements and the chances of winning are even. Stars are much more effective in Stunty, that's not a bad thing, but it's a fact.

Another thing linked to this, as Xnoelx said, is the lacking of tournaments and leagues. Too few, too weird, Necromiser is really a joke and its formula should be changed.

Lastly, there is the perception of Stunty by a great majority of coaches: a league built just for fun, to play to relax between a normal match and the other, without caring about how it goes because of the high randomness of the games. IMO this is wrong: if you come to Stunty for the mayhem you'll have it and the randomness of the dices will decide the game, but if you play it just like you play normal teams you'll find there's the very same amount of tactics needed to win. I mean, the players are squishy and you complain about how easily they get hurt? Then don't give easy blocks to opponent, stay away, dodge, wait, stall and wathever, but if you come just to bash you are gonna bash or be bashed and can't complain.

So, in the end: is Stunty just for the fun of it? If yes, then throw into it six or eight new rosters and maximize the carnage, the craziness and the weird things that can happen. Is Stunty meant to be serious and do Stunty wants to raise to the dignity of a proper league? Then start Leagues, nerf inducements, make majors with a minimum TV access, think about more meta-groups like S.P.L.A.T. and first of all do some changes to certain teams (Eshin with some sort of big guy, Pro-Flings with someone getting G access, kick the Squigs the hell out of here).

That's just my opinion, hope the Leeg will grow stronger and healthier soon.
baelnic

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 05:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it's time for SPLAT Season 3 Razz

I usually wait until after the first rounds of a Major so we can try to pick up all the people that created new teams (to give those teams purpose) but it's been a while since the last tourney. I guess I'll think about next season soonish.

Also I'd rather see a couple teams "fixed" first starting with Squig Herders and Snotlings. Maybe 2 updated 1 new in a cycle for a little bit.
Crook666

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hurrah for S.P.L.A.T. season 3!!!!
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Crook666 wrote:
Why do you grow teams in Stunty? Well, personally, I do that to beat records, to have legends, to start rivalries with other great teams, but the fact is you don't build teams for majors. This is because you really don't need a skilled, good team to win a major, as in stunty inducements do the magic and often a rookie team can destroy a skilled team, I've seen it happen quite most times. This doesn't help in playing games to build teams: a rookie coach just starts a team and enters a major, with few skills gained from playing few games, then he buys 500k inducements and the chances of winning are even. Stars are much more effective in Stunty, that's not a bad thing, but it's a fact.

Hmm. I never saw it like that Smile. Has there ever been a near rookie Stunty Major winner?

To me, the stars are *less* effective, because very few of them are killers! If your team hasn't got a killer, a star won't be able to make up the gap as you lose players fast. I mean, sure, a rookie team can destroy a experienced team (that's stunty!), but I think the stunty inducements are possibly less effective than the ranked ones...

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Strider won exploding cup as rookie. Believe me, stunty stars are better than normal ones, and think about the wizard against stunties Smile
luckyjim12

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

SPLAT season 3 gives my life a purpose. I also buidl teams for the majors but agree with Crook that the inducements seem to have more of an effect in stunty.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Crook666 wrote:
Strider won exploding cup as rookie. Believe me, stunty stars are better than normal ones, and think about the wizard against stunties Smile

I'm shocked that a rookie team won a rookie team only tournament. Absolutely gobsmacked. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

You could have a point, here, Whatball. You really could (/me facepalming)
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I threw my Skinks into the Stunty Cup as a brand new team, wasn't able to get my first game in, got slid into the 'losers bracket' and won that. The stars are fun, have to agree with that.

The idea of a Minors format for Stunty would help me to play Stunty more often.

How can it have its own identity, like noel mentioned? Hmmm?

Tyler Durden: Welcome to Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club! Third rule of Fight Club: someone yells "stop!", goes limp, taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule: one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: No shirts, no shoes. Seventh rule: fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Lorebass

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 16:06
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

IMO most of the stunty star players are fantastic because they are build for support (ie: myself) and can help a team MURDER players.

What we need are more tournaments held by FUMBBL since everyone plays alot more prepping for those and being reminded stunty exists.
Though I for one think the current "lack" of stunty games is where it should be at. Having the site normalized in terms of what games are being played ranked and box should still be way above. Stunty is a fantastic relaxing getaway from having my khemri get clawpombed by high elfs...

I always see 3-4 coaches on the gamefinder when i'm online though the times are different (Sigmar plays at like 2am).
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2014 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Monthly three-round open cumulative Swiss tourney, with the first round seeded by seeding in the last tourney, and seeding driven by a cocktail of WTL and Cas/TD. Once we get up over 8 coaches regularly, it should really take two good "tourneys" to win one. The winner gets a prize and yadda yadda, but also has to come back in from the bottom. Tourney is open to all, bring what you got and don't be surprised when you get outclassed.

To make it interesting, there's no penalty for not playing the third round.