44 coaches online • Server time: 16:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you activate stategically to avoid match ups?
I always try to avoid certain coaches
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
I sometimes try to avoid certain coaches
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
I always try to avoid certain teams
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
I sometimes try to avoid certain teams
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
I never try to avoid any games in the Box
43%
 43%  [ 59 ]
I don't play the box and therefore always avoid all games that look a bit iffy
9%
 9%  [ 13 ]
I avoid fish and pies
12%
 12%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 135

freak_in_a_frock

Post 22 Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I was just wondering if anybody deliberatily avoids coaches in the Box by waiting for the coach in question gets before activating your own teams?

It is an anonymous poll, so don't think we will hold it against you. I have been known to not activate certain teams within the range of another team that I don't fancy playing at that time, but never of actually avoiding a coach.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

When I played Box, yes. Easier to just not play Box in the end though. Was mostly to avoid people I didn't want to play, but also to avoid stupid Clawbombers as well.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Generally I do not pay much attention to it, but occasionaly I'm glad to see that someone I wouldn't like to play ended up in a game before me. I don't think you can really plan on avoiding someone that well.
However, I do admit to have maybe a couple of times avoided one coach not so much because I have a problem with him or his teams but because I enjoy the conversations with him and he tends to get very upset when i beat him. But that of course I could anticipate because I was talking to him before he activated.
A person I truely dislike I wouldn't know how to really avoid.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

i sometimes checked if some of the most famous clawpombers (namely WMD's or Griefers) were already playing before activating. Then i found out that i got drawn vs less famous clawpombers and went back to R Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

No. That sounds like work.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't want to be playing the same coach/team twice in a row if the coach is a right grumpy... Wink

Not sure if the scheduler already caters for this.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The box is to get a game no questions asked. I activate and hope for the best. Sometimes my claw bombers make a mess of somebody's team, other times my dark elves get a wicked trim to their TV.

I suppose if you *really* wanted to avoid somebody you could put them on your buddy list and only activate when they show up as 'in game'. That kinda defeats the purpose of the box in my opinion.

Furthermore, if you are jonesing for a game and don't activate because 'Ebil-coach-what-hurtz-all-mens' is online but not playing, now you have to wait 15 more minutes for the next activation. Rinse and repeat if they don't get a game.

If they are simply logged into the site but watching the hockey game online you could scrub an entire evening of bloobowl, which again defeats the purpose of blackbox.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

polardragon wrote:
The box is to get a game no questions asked. I activate and hope for the best. Sometimes my claw bombers make a mess of somebody's team, other times my dark elves get a wicked trim to their TV.

I suppose if you *really* wanted to avoid somebody you could put them on your buddy list and only activate when they show up as 'in game'. That kinda defeats the purpose of the box in my opinion.

Furthermore, if you are jonesing for a game and don't activate because 'Ebil-coach-what-hurtz-all-mens' is online but not playing, now you have to wait 15 more minutes for the next activation. Rinse and repeat if they don't get a game.

If they are simply logged into the site but watching the hockey game online you could scrub an entire evening of bloobowl, which again defeats the purpose of blackbox.

Yeah, that was sort of what I was thinking. I was wondering how widespread 'tactical activations' are, because recently I seemed to have noticed many more coaches seem to activate in the rounds directly following certain coach's teams being drawn. Maybe It is just coincedence
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Clearly a lot of people do this as I have quite a few "buddies" and Calcium has millions!

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Or Calcium has taken the 'Fan Favorite' skill...
Shocked

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Don't want to be playing the same coach/team twice in a row if the coach is a right grumpy... Wink

Not sure if the scheduler already caters for this.

Not at all...
I can give you at least one example when my humans faced the same team three times in a row in a few hours:

BTW, to the OP: never! And in fact I already lost a few teams in the box, one destroyed by Calcium himself! Very Happy
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

My buddy list has also become 4 times bigger since I started to play in the box.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

About the only time I look for previous activations to to see numbers. I play late enough that I often see the box fizzle out (US time), so if I see that the previous activate had 0-1 coaches, I might not bother with the Box for the rest of the night (and either see if the 0-2 people on ranked want to play, or call it a night).

While in theory I know how to game the scheduler, I've never done it. I tend to get more upset about the 4-minute players than the griefer teams (and I don't even consider an all-clawbomb team griefing, it's just a means to an end if they are still going for a win).

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
blader4411

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I tend to get more upset about the 4-minute players than the griefer teams (and I don't even consider an all-clawbomb team griefing, it's just a means to an end if they are still going for a win).

Agreed here. A bad game vs. ClawPOMB means a drubbing that finishes in 30 minutes. A bad game vs. a 4-minuter can mean a dicing lasting 1.5 to 2 hours.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I started the poll I will clarify my position:-

I have been known to not activate a team if it just got a dicing and I know that the chances are high of it drawing a min/maxed team if it activates this draw. I will still activate other teams, maybe even some at the same TV range. just not the team that I really don't fancy the game with. I rarely stick to activating one team anyway, normally I activate at least 3, if only to increase my chances of playing.
 Jump to: