11 coaches online • Server time: 05:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you activate stategically to avoid match ups?
I always try to avoid certain coaches
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
I sometimes try to avoid certain coaches
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
I always try to avoid certain teams
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
I sometimes try to avoid certain teams
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
I never try to avoid any games in the Box
43%
 43%  [ 59 ]
I don't play the box and therefore always avoid all games that look a bit iffy
9%
 9%  [ 13 ]
I avoid fish and pies
12%
 12%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 135

Azure

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

How about activating because you are *trying* to hunt down certain teams or coaches Razz
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
My buddy list has also become 4 times bigger since I started to play in the box.

To be fair, I doubt that has too much to do with avoidance. It's nice to see someone play with excellent basics and positional sense (things the site loses as LRB6 gets older) and kill all mens. You normally only get one or the other. You're like spec crack. The only time I ever conducted this sort of behaviour, I actively tried to guess when you'd be activating so we could play (I think we were 1 and 2 in some order at the time and I thought it would be neat), and I got a dice shelacking for my troubles. A cautionary tale indeed! Wink

I'm glad someone has noted picking in B (for that is what this is, essentially) without a hoard of protesters. It must be quite easy to work out what coaches are getting close to 100%, whom is in the channel, whom is online, etc, etc. and avoid as appropriate. Especially when the US comes online and bloats rounds. Not done it myself, doesn't seem correct somehow, but I bet more do it than care to admit it.

Often; the best and most memorable games come when you think on load up 'Oh crap, this is over before we've begun'. For that reason alone, this shouldn't be practised. That and play Slann. Wink
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Now the answer to this question becomes very clear.

How is it possible that in box majors there are 2100+ TV "ELF" teams running around? Dont they ever face the CLPOMB and get beat down?

The coaches who take this game way to serious can dramtically reduce the randomness of the scheduler if they take the effort to be very aware of what coaches/teams are currently playing/likely pending activation and so forth. I think it is a small minority of coaches but it does happen. Not as effective as true cherry picking but as close as you can get in a blind draw of teams like Box. But then again it is not so blind if you can reduce X number of teams off the list that you would likely face, reduce as much random as possible.

This is common during Euro prime time Iam sure, there are enough coaches activating and playing to make it worth the effort.

In North America you are just lucky to see 4 coaches pending that it is pointless to do this. Inless you are dodging WMD at the 10- midnight range EST.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I look forward to the new LFG system christer is working on.

Maybe then some of this picking nonsense will go away as people admit they are all pickers in the end.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to see someone talking about the elephant in the room Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Now the answer to this question becomes very clear.

How is it possible that in box majors there are 2100+ TV "ELF" teams running around? Dont they ever face the CLPOMB and get beat down?

There's a few reasons why Elves can do well in the box;

1) They gain SPPs quickly

2) Blodge keeps them on their feet

3) They dodge out of zones, so less blocks for the Claw/MB

4) Woodies are AV7 so Claw is wasted.

5) They go for the ball, which often makes the Claw/MB teams stop killing and try to get the ball back.

Elves in the box are awesome Wink
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2012 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

2100k+TV elfs for a box major probably also means a good run of prep games AND stopping before that last fatal one. Razz

As for avoiding coaches I dislike, yes I've done it sometimes and it seemed pretty easy.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I've done it. Not often, but you get to know people's patterns, and which coaches tend to activate again after a game, and which ones won't activate if they lose etc. To be honest, there is only one coach who I will seriously try to dodge (he only really activates a 1500ish TV chaos dwarf cheese team and is a silent cherrypicker of an opponent Wink ).

I've also, as P'Goo says, counterdone it...I only add coaches I enjoy watching to my buddy list, and I'll try and activate at the same time as them, and if they are nearing the end of a game, hold off on activating in the hope they'll activate next draw.

As a sidenote - if you truly want to pick in the box, pick on time of day. Certain time periods have much weaker selections of coaches activating, and a significant portion of the clawbombers play during the times Americans are awake. [edit] At least that's my perception of it... [/edit]
pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Pfft, my Chaos Dorf Cheese team is rarely as big as 1500.

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I have 107 'buddies', yet I can count my BUDDIES here using 1 hand....Why else am I so watched?

Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Pfft, my Chaos Dorf Cheese team is rarely as big as 1500.

Pythrr...it can't be you...you never shut up Razz
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
I have 107 'buddies', yet I can count my BUDDIES here using 1 hand....Why else am I so watched?

Wink

Prolly cuz of da boobz.
Loew

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I have sometimes tried to avoid certain coaches that I really don't enjoy playing against (no, not the usual ScaryNames (TM)).
On other times I just activated low-TV teams to avoid another generic ClawPOMB team, without checking what teams might be in the draw.

I have realized that there are divisions on FUMBBL that fit my tastes better at the moment.
uuni

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
As a sidenote - if you truly want to pick in the box, pick on time of day. Certain time periods have much weaker selections of coaches activating, and a significant portion of the clawbombers play during the times Americans are awake. [edit] At least that's my perception of it... [/edit]

Just wanted to say that I share this observation.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

uuni wrote:
Hitonagashi wrote:

Just wanted to say that I share this observation.

I believe a certain chap used to (quite openly) base his whole meta strategy around the time we (I think) all know is the weakest in terms of coaches lfg in either open division.

It's interesting, though. His perception was that that time was when the Euros got home from work and when America woke up. I've always found the mean best test to be Euro lunchtime on a weekday, too many hardcore nerds writing up post graduate degrees or on days off, so I suppose I agree with him. There's a well known feeling amongst semi pro poker players I know that now America isn't involved, their easy winning time (when Europe is going to bed) has changed.

I've always thought the minmax / Claw MB PO thing is there, but overplayed in forum outcry threads. Indeed, I've often found my opponents to have a wide range of races in the box. Perhaps it's because when I get in from work I'm usually too knackered to play.

So I supposed I'm confused in terms of 'times to pick' the box. If I go in the day time, I get a harder game but am less likely to face meta-gaming / the kill stack, but if I go in the late evening it's easier but my team is more likely to get creamed? I guess confusion is a good thing.

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %20, %2012 - %19:%Mar; edited 3 times in total
 Jump to: