50 coaches online • Server time: 23:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think?
This looks fun, i'll seek the holy grail of a slann vs. ogre matchup
63%
 63%  [ 76 ]
I don't know, i'd rather play a Pie team and see if i draw space marines
24%
 24%  [ 29 ]
Nah, in my views of bloodbowl fluff, in the end there is only chaos
11%
 11%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 119

jundru

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an idea for the formula of variety.

X * 100/24

X = the number of lines with a minimum of 16 fields covered. If you have more than 75% of the full grid, the minimum will be 24 (a full line)

The explanation:

Coach A has completed 200 grid squares. He completed 20 squares with 10 favorite teams, but has not played any team more yet. Its range would be 41.6

Coach B has completed 200 grid squares. It has 12 teams with more than 16 fields covered (192). The rest distributed in any other team. Its range would be 50%.

It would benefit the most teams play with, not to focus on a few, at least in my opinion.

The change I suggest at reach 75% of the grid is so that we will could only reach 100% completed the entire grid.

May need some retouching, plus maybe one if you have lines above 12, but what do you think of it?

P.D. Sorry for use google traslator Razz
Emeric

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2012 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a good formula yep, much more accurate and yet easy to compute. I'll look into that soon.

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2012 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

This looks like fun!

I've only really started FUMBBLing recently so haven't got too many games under my belt (only 34 in [B] so far Sad), but when I get a bit further in I'll stick a team in the group.

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2012 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

You may have a low number of total matches, but you're well on your way.

Playing Ogres and Slann is a great start, and you've even managed to find some stunties! These are desirable pairings indeed!

jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2012 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

pubstar wrote:
You may have a low number of total matches, but you're well on your way.

Playing Ogres and Slann is a great start, and you've even managed to find some stunties! These are desirable pairings indeed!

True... though one of those Halfling teams my ogres got was Azure's monsters (I think they had more MB than my 6-ogre roster did!)

Aiming on getting to about 10 games with each race then resting them for a while... Nuffle knows I needed a break from the ogres after 10 Laughing

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well i have some time to spend again Smile

For the variety indicator i've chosen something close to what jundru proposed but taking into account also races less played (so that coaches with only a few games can have a good variety indicator too -can probably be improved more) : 50*(X/24) + 50*(Y/24) (X = races 12 different matchups or more, Y = races with 18 matchups or more)

I'll blog a report soon to attract other coaches.

Just noticed the stat page has a grid that adapts itself to the games played. Dalfort has no Slann line/column !!

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

question about the variety indicator - I went from 70 (the highest by a lot) to 4 (the lowest) under the old/new. Is low better? I have a pretty wide variety played, but very few total games.

EDIT: I haven't made an orc team or ogre team yet, but those are the only teams I haven't played at least one game with (I tend to activate a lot of different races almost every time I put anything into the draw)
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I am join!

I has 2 full lines!

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the new formula better. The old formula rewarded partly a coach's diversity, but also the luck of his draw's diversity. This formula only rewards the coach's diversity. However, I think it over-rewards coaches with a high number of matches in total. Consider:

A coach has played 18 games with 23 races, and 600 with the 24th (this is an extreme example). With over half his games (in over 1000) with a single race, that coach obviously would not be considered 'diverse'. Yet the current formula would award him a perfect 100 rating.

On the other side of the coin, consider a coach with 10 games with each of the 24 races. Though the coach could not possibly have a more diverse spread of matches, his score would be zero.

The solution I'd propose is to change X and Y to reflect percentage of games played. An absolutely perfect variety would be a coach who has played exactly 1/24 (4.2%) of his games with each team, right? That's a too extreme, though. What about constants of 1% and 2% of total matches? Let's look back at our extreme examples:

The first coach has played at least 1% of his total matches with 24 teams, so he would still get a 'perfect' score in the first half of the equation. However, he only has one race that he's played for at least 2% of his total matches. So, (50x1)+(50x1/24) = ~52. This seems reasonable. He's not particularly diverse, but he deserves some credit for at least giving a try with all his non-favorite races.

The second example coach, obviously, would have a perfect rating. He's played exactly 1/24 of his matches with each team, and would get that wonderful 100 score.

The percentages could be tweaked, I wouldn't be opposed to 1% and 3%, or whatever number you decide is best. But a percent-of-total-games system seems like it would more accurately reflect the variety of coaches with either very low or very high games played.

Last edited by pubstar on %b %17, %2012 - %21:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Emeric

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

@happygrue : Yep, the variety indicator is still bad. But the first was worse, since above 576 played matches it could only go down. We need to find a good formula. Haven't had any better idea yet. Something looking at the number of each matchup probably (i.e. if you made 50 different matchups with 151 chaos/chaos matches and 49 others, you would certainly get a lower indicator than 4 matches in each of the 50).

Edit : pubstar says it better.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I love this idea! My grid is pretty empty so far, but that just makes it easier to get started. I'm in!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

yay

i got a fling game! but then had to retire them due to mng tree = no more games in Tv scheduler.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently, the formula works only for those who've played a lot of games. I'd rather see something that rewards playing lots of different races regardless of how many total games are played (because that would maximize my own score... duh!)

How about this:

1. Determine what number of games represents 1/24 = 4.2% of the total games played by that coach.

2. Give each coach points up to that many games for each race (and sum them all up).

3. Divide the sum by the number of games played

Thus you'd have a maximum score if you played 4.2% of your games with each race. You'd have a darn good score if you played a lot of games with 20 different races. You'd have a moderate score if you played a ton of games with 10 races and not very many with another 10. And the best part is that it scales to the number of games played, so you can keep improving by playing ogres even if you've filled in the grid already. \o/

Here is an example with my numbers:

I've played 149 games in the box, so my cap is 149/24 = 6.2 games per race.

I've played 3 games with amazons so I get 3 points for them. I've played 12 games with chaos, so I get 6.2 points for them. I've played 4 games with CD so 4 more points and so on. Add them all up and divide by 149 to get my index.
Emeric

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 22:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the group is a success - a handful of new members since my blog post.
We now have :

- 1 more coach (pythrr) with the 50% award, 2 total

- 1 more grid addict (ultwe), 5 total

- 2 more grid makers (Niebling and cyric612)

And Fightingmongoose gets really close from getting is first award (grid starter), with only 3 matchups missing.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2012 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

@happygrue : I like the idea, it's easy to calculate indeed. I'll do that (tomorrow probably).

Jump to: